• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell selection for an 8th level sorcerer

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Cool selection there!

My only add in, if not too late, is to slip in either Silent or Minor Image - Can cause an awful lot of mischief with a well timed illusion? Perhaps at some other level.

And Yay! for halfling sorcerors. :)

Thanee

First Post
If you end up in combat a lot, there is one more 2nd-level spell, which should not be overlooked... False Life. This one's a life saver.

Choosing 2nd-level spells is tough... sooo many good ones to choose from. :D

And get the Empower Spell feat, fits well into your selection. :)

Bye
Thanee

Darklone

And I'd suggest to consider giving up your familiar for no prolonged casting time for metamagic feats (PHB2).

False Life... duh... how could I forget that?

Jeph

Explorer
I'd ditch Identify. Might as well replace it with a more useful spell and pay someone else to do the grunt work for you, when its absolutely necessary. I've often found that Obscuring Mist and Disguise Self come in handy.

Allegro

First Post
If you are playing with a buff dependent party you might want to consider solid fog as your forth level spell. Also I’ve always like reduce person whenever I play a small character. If you play with (PHB2) give up that familiar.

mmu1

First Post
Is your DM allowing you the standard wealth for an 8th level character, and letting you buy magic items?

If yes, then I'd strongly advise against spending valuable spell slots on anything that's still useful when cast from an inexpensive 1st level wand. (which basically means anything with a duration of 10 minutes/level and up)

For 2nd level spells, let me throw in another vote for Glitterdust. One of the best spells in the game.

Fireball and Haste are good 3rd level picks - Haste is an absolute must for parties that aren't caster-heavy, and still great for any party. Fireball is sort of meh and a bit overrated, especially if your party already does a lot of damage, but still useful, and hard to go wrong with.

Finally, for 4th level - I'm a little surprised (or maybe I missed it?) that no one mentioned Enervation yet. It's powerful, has no save, doesn't actually have the Evil descriptor, and it's the perfect spell for a spontaneous caster that can use it repeatedly.

Pickaxe

Explorer
I will put in another vote for Web and Glitterdust. These spells more than any other seem to result in post-encounter comments like, "Wow, that Web/Glitterdust completely changed how that went." Area effect and battlefield control are two strengths of arcane casters.

For fourth level, I'd definitely go with D-Door; too many things will be trying to grapple you from here on in. I'd also recommend Enervation; along with Ray of Enfeeblement, it's a great way to weaken tough opponents, and as ranged touch attacks they synergize well with halfling benefits.

--Axe

Remove ads