• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Storing and Multiple Rays

frankthedm

First Post
ScipioX said:
As was noted, the rules are a bit vague.
Not really. They cover this pretty early on

Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
How is it relevant? Saving throw DCs are independent of caster level.

-Hyp.
Errp, Brainfart. Usually what matters with stored spells is DCs so thats why my wires were crossed.

It actually looks like the spell storing weapon defaults to 12th, pre-errata, if any. Shame so few spell can be used in them. :]

TheGogmagog

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
How is it relevant? Saving throw DCs are independent of caster level.

-Hyp.
In your options 1 & 3, the DC as mentioned would be independent of caster level, feats, and other factors. Clearly set by the formula or 10+spell level+min ability score modifier.

In option 2. you further have to delineate between the default save, or casters save. It would probably be the default save IMHO, but might be debated. In the same questions would arise about other caster dependant abilities, like warmage edge damage or other abilites. I don't care for rulings/answers that raise more questions, so I also favor option 1.
I think the weapon enhancement becomes nearly usless with option 1, so I might be persuaded to rule option 3.

Scharlata

First Post
Thank you for your elaborate answers, suggestions and corrections. Now, it's my duty to evacuate the spell out of the rapier and put a valid spell into it, and set the minimum caster level as a default setting for all spell storing items to throw into my campaign.

Thanx

Remove ads