• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spellcraft revelation about spells

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
Suppose that someone rolls a spellcraft to identify a spell being cast. What if he does not know that spell? Should the name of it be revealed to the player or not? Or what about if the spell is of a much higher level than her? After all, what exactly is revealed with a spellcraft check?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Sure. Even fighters can take the spellcraft skill and they do not know any spell. If they make the skill check, I say tell them what the spell is. They have successfully identified it. Remember, they do have to be able to see the somatic component and/or hear the verbal component.

You may also raise the DC by 2 if you think the attempt is more difficult than usual, or even give the skill check a -2, or both (this is described in the DMG).

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Also does a Spellcraft check, in essence, give a character a second "saving throw" against Illusions? For instance if I cast Phantasamal Killer at an enemy wizard or try to fool him with a Major Image and he successfully Spellcrafts it, does that mean he already "knows" it is an illusion and therefore need not save?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Spellcraft = studying spells.

He doesn't have to know how to do it to be able to tell what it is.

I can backstroke. I can't do the butterfly stroke, but I know when someone else is doing it.

--Non-swimmer Spikey

hong

WotC's bitch
gfunk said:
Also does a Spellcraft check, in essence, give a character a second "saving throw" against Illusions? For instance if I cast Phantasamal Killer at an enemy wizard or try to fool him with a Major Image and he successfully Spellcrafts it, does that mean he already "knows" it is an illusion and therefore need not save?

Good question. :) I would say he still has to make the save, but gets a +2 circumstance bonus on the roll. Or a bonus equal to how much he made his Spellcraft check by, depending on how many numbers I want to juggle in my head.

Remove ads