• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellfire vs. Shadow Weave Magic

baeleg

First Post
I agree with most of the others here. Your problem is the player, not the spellfire channeling. However, I also know that in some groups, getting rid of a problem player is not as easily done as said. For instance, I generally play with a gaming club at a college, and just booting someone from a club isn't as easy as getting them out of your house is.

So, if you must confront him in-game, I would first follow werk's suggestions. If that doesn't won't (and IME, it probably won't), the class to beat a spellfire channeler is a monk. The big key is getting a high reflex save and having evasion/improved evasion. After all, spellfire has a set DC of 20. In the FR game I'm in right now, my svirfneblin gnomish artificer/ranger has a Ref save of 20 and evasion, so avoiding those blasts is actually quite easy. Alternately, if the DM allows it, get a wizard to make you a command word item of antimagic field and go with the barbarian. The item in question is very expensive so you may not be able to afford it, but it shuts down a wizard/spellfire channeler exceptionally well.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Personal Advice? You and the other players who feel the same way need to talk to the DM AND the problem player and address the situation. Whether that means not playing with him anymore, or working out a compromise, that's up to you.

Rules Advice? Having spoken with Sean Reynolds on this in the past, Spellfire played by the rules can be powerful, but is also well able to be handled by the DM. If you stick with the strictures as written about channeling, attacking, damaging, etc. It's not that bad.

But based on your examples, NONE of them really had anything to do with spellfire as your problem. :) And Shadow Weave and Spellfire, mechanics wise, really do not do anything special with one another.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
ZenFrodo said:
And...what happens if a human PC wizard takes both Spellfire Channeler and Shadow Weave Magic?

An assassin squad appears out of nowhere and beats the crap out of the DM for allowing it ;)

Also, I add my voice to the choir here: Have a talk witht he DM and the player in question. If the guy won't be reasonable, and the DM won't boot him despite his disruptive tendencies, you have to think about alternative ways. But try that first.

Remove ads