• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellfire vs. Shadow Weave Magic

ZenFrodo

First Post
Hey everyone...

I've scoured both the FRCS and the MoF and NOWHERE is there any mention of what happens when Shadow Weave Magic Meets Spellfire.

From what I understand, Spellfire channelers draw on pure, raw Weave energy. Shadow Weave is anti-Weave.

So...what happens if a Spellfire Channeler tries to absorb Shadow Weave magic? Kaboom? An ear-popping implosion of negative space? Or just the runny liquid gurgles of said SpCh melting? :]

And...what happens if a human PC wizard takes both Spellfire Channeler and Shadow Weave Magic? Does that mean the Spellfire Channeler is channelling the Shadow Weave energy? And how would a Shadow Weave Channeler effect a regular Spellfire channeler (and vice versa)?

backstory: our group has a spellfire-channelling PC who is a huge pain in the tuckus; when he's not running around in combat casting all his defensive spells *on himself* while the rest of the party's getting slaughtered, he's doing stupid crap that messes up the carefully laid plans of the rest of us -- such as casting a "daylight" spell at night that reveals to enemy encampments where we're hiding (and then trying to claim it was *our* fault because we "could've done spot checks to see" what this player was doing). The DM is too nice to call him on it, but a couple other players are hot over the whole thing -- myself, having lost my beloved 10th level mage in that "daylight" fiasco...well.

Now in the process of creating my next PC, I'm ready to open the can of whoop-@$$. Said channeler just happens to be a cleric of Selune...so I'm looking at Shar & thinking "hmmm...cleric/necromancer"...and most-evilly-grinning.

Last edited:

ZenFrodo said:
Hey everyone...

I've scoured both the FRCS and the MoF and NOWHERE is there any mention of what happens when Shadow Weave Magic Meets Spellfire.

From what I understand, Spellfire channelers draw on pure, raw Weave energy. Shadow Weave is anti-Weave.

So...what happens if a Spellfire Channeler tries to absorb Shadow Weave magic? Kaboom? An ear-popping implosion of negative space? Or just the runny liquid gurgles of said SpCh melting? :]

And...what happens if a human PC wizard takes both Spellfire Channeler and Shadow Weave Magic? Does that mean the Spellfire Channeler is channelling the Shadow Weave energy? And how would a Shadow Weave Channeler effect a regular Spellfire channeler (and vice versa)?

backstory: our group has a spellfire-channelling PC who is a huge pain in the tuckus; when he's not running around in combat casting all his defensive spells *on himself* while the rest of the party's getting slaughtered, he's doing stupid crap that messes up the carefully laid plans of the rest of us -- such as casting a "daylight" spell at night that reveals to enemy encampments where we're hiding (and then trying to claim it was *our* fault because we "could've done spot checks to see" what this player was doing). The DM is too nice to call him on it, but a couple other players are hot over the whole thing -- myself, having lost my beloved 10th level mage in that "daylight" fiasco...well.

Now in the process of creating my next PC, I'm ready to open the can of whoop-@$$. Said channeler just happens to be a cleric of Selune...so I'm looking at Shar & thinking "hmmm...cleric/necromancer"...and most-evilly-grinning.
I am not really familiyr with Forgotten Realms, but as far as I know, Spellfire Channelers are rare, hunted and usually aren´t wizards. But I admit, we had a Spellfire wielder wizard in one of our campaigns, so ignore that :)

1)
Considered talking with the DM and the player in question about his behaviour? Either the player is an :):):):):):):) or he is incompetent - both can be adressed by a talk about it. In-Game fighting might not lead to a succesful end.

2)
As far as I know, there are no special rules regarding the interaction of shadow weave magic and spell-fire channeling. The only thing that could help you were house-rules, and that would probably require at least consulting the DM if there exist any or if he wants to introduce some :)

3)
But going along with your stated plan:
Don´t make the mistake of rolling up a spellcaster against a spell-fire wielder.
Play a Barbarian with Improved Unarmed, Improved Grapple and Iron Will, equipped with Armor Spikes and a Greatsword (preferably admantite). If you can´t grapple him, use conventional method (greatsword).
For a viable character switch from Barbarian to Fighter and use bonus feats to get other, useful ablities :)

glass

(he, him)
IIRC, spellfire channelers use raw magic directly -unlike other characters they don't need the weave. Therefore the differences between weave and shadow weave would be irrelevant to them.

Also, the solution to another player bein disruptive to the group is very rarely to make a disruptive character yourself. Two wrongs don't make a right.

glass.

Krelios

First Post
Shadow Weave is not anti-Weave, it's an alternative Weave. There's very little chance of a spectacular explosion or anything of the sort, the closest you'd get is they'd each be less effective against each other.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Spellfire Wielders are Uncommon

Personally, I would have nixed this business of spellfire wielding at the start of the game.

In our 3.5 FRCS campaign this character class is extremely rare.

If anyone wants to play one, they must roll d00 once, before designing their character. If they roll a 00, they can proceed.

Granted, this restriction may seem harsh ... but I have heard enough horror stories from DMs who allowed spellfire wielders to feel pretty good about this ruling.

ZenFrodo

First Post
Yeah. It's a horror story alright; I've barely vented the tip of the iceberg. This player has been talked to, and talked to, and talked to, and shouted down, etc. etc. etc. Worse, he's a <shudder> rules lawyer...or thinks he is, anyway. I had been planning the whoop-@$$ character to offer her to the DM as a fifth column; I like the barbarian idea.

Arnwyn

First Post
glass said:
IIRC, spellfire channelers use raw magic directly -unlike other characters they don't need the weave. Therefore the differences between weave and shadow weave would be irrelevant to them.
Yep - that's how I understand it.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Time to Cut Your Losses

ZenFrodo said:
Yeah. It's a horror story alright; I've barely vented the tip of the iceberg. This player has been talked to, and talked to, and talked to, and shouted down, etc. etc. etc. Worse, he's a <shudder> rules lawyer...or thinks he is, anyway.
It sounds like you have deeper issues with this player than just a gaming dispute. You should do what we did with our rules lawyer, and eject him ....

VirgilCaine

First Post
ZenFrodo said:
Yeah. It's a horror story alright; I've barely vented the tip of the iceberg. This player has been talked to, and talked to, and talked to, and shouted down, etc. etc. etc. Worse, he's a <shudder> rules lawyer...or thinks he is, anyway. I had been planning the whoop-@$$ character to offer her to the DM as a fifth column; I like the barbarian idea.

BOOT HIM! If he is incompetent at tactics AND doesn't know the rules, AND hasn't improved, he's too much work, IMO.

werk

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
BOOT HIM! If he is incompetent at tactics AND doesn't know the rules, AND hasn't improved, he's too much work, IMO.
'Tis harsh, but I agree. If there is a problem, and the problem is easily identified, remove the problem. I wouldn't make my character based on confronting his character. (We have a rule at our table that players may not roll dice against other players.)

If you don't want or can't remove the offending player, then I would role play it to resolution. Have your CHARACTER confront his CHARACTER with a discussion of tactics and how the party is begining to view him as a liability. If he doesn't kiss the party's booboo and make it better, then point out that channellers are a rare commodity and that your character could use some extra cash from exposing his identity and location to numerous bounty hunters, liches, what have you... The key here is that it needs to be in character, and the DM needs to know it is going to happen. His character needs the party, even if the player doesn't realize it. If the channeller is chaotic and dumb, he's playing his character, otherwise, he needs schooled and brought into line.

Remove ads