D&D (2024) Combing through the druid & paladin packet

Alright, question for my own 5e clone design needs: If Aura of Protection just added half your Charisma mod, rounded up, would Paladin's still be sufficiently incentivized to invest in Charisma?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Alright, question for my own 5e clone design needs: If Aura of Protection just added half your Charisma mod, rounded up, would Paladin's still be sufficiently incentivized to invest in Charisma?

I don't think so, even with the full mod, most paladins still focus on other aspects.

I do like that the Aura of Awe (or whatever it was called that dazed foes) gives them some decent incentive though.

Pauln6

Hero
It's less of an incentive for sure. In some ways, rounding down might be more of an incentive.

I think that other charisma benefits should be added to help. Adding Charisma to healing word, smite benefits. There must be some more they could do.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
My preference would be to have the aura size is based on Cha.

And then the bonus is half their proficiency, which doesn't stack if they already have proficiency.

That's a super interesting idea.

The problem I see with it, though, is that either you have math (well, arithmetic) that is more complicated than what I think WotC is going for, or the Cha bonus is too powerful. If it's just a linear {radius = chamod * constant} then the area of effect goes up as the square of the bonus. And as a frequent Paladin player I'll attest that the radius is a really big deal. It's hard to keep your teammates within 10'.

So the other option is {radius = base + (chamod * constant)} which works better but is...yeah, too messy for D&D. I mean, go ahead and cue disparaging comments about kids and casuals, but I think it's less about the intellectual capacities of most players and more about the flavor WotC is going for.

(That said, I suppose you could just print a table in the class description.)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's a super interesting idea.

The problem I see with it, though, is that either you have math (well, arithmetic) that is more complicated than what I think WotC is going for, or the Cha bonus is too powerful. If it's just a linear {radius = chamod * constant} then the area of effect goes up as the square of the bonus. And as a frequent Paladin player I'll attest that the radius is a really big deal. It's hard to keep your teammates within 10'.

So the other option is {radius = base + (chamod * constant)} which works better but is...yeah, too messy for D&D. I mean, go ahead and cue disparaging comments about kids and casuals, but I think it's less about the intellectual capacities of most players and more about the flavor WotC is going for.

(That said, I suppose you could just print a table in the class description.)
It's not hard at all. 1 5ft square per point of charisma mod minimum 1. Have 3 charisma & you get 5ft, 14 & you get 10ft, 16=15ft, 20=25. Wotc has yet to say that they intend to put bounded accuracy on a well deserved funeral pyre, things like the paladin's aura of effective save immunity can't exist alongside BA

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It's not hard at all. 1 5ft square per point of charisma mod minimum 1. Have 3 charisma & you get 5ft, 14 & you get 10ft, 16=15ft, 20=25. Wotc has yet to say that they intend to put bounded accuracy on a well deserved funeral pyre, things like the paladin's aura of effective save immunity can't exist alongside BA

The math of that isn't hard, but like I said, I think a 10' radius is more than twice as good as a 5' radius.* And in general I'm in favor of reducing dependency on primary attributes, not increasing it.

(On a grid, it's the difference between affecting 8 squares vs. 20 or 24 squares, depending on how you do the diagonals.)

Stalker0

Legend
The math of that isn't hard, but like I said, I think a 10' radius is more than twice as good as a 5' radius.* And in general I'm in favor of reducing dependency on primary attributes, not increasing it.
(On a grid, it's the difference between affecting 8 squares vs. 20 or 24 squares, depending on how you do the diagonals.)
I would argue they have gone too far with the Paladin though. You could honestly play an 8 cha Paladin from levels 1-6 (which could be an entire campaign for some players) and never miss it, just using spells for smites. That’s a problem to me.

The aura radius is a reasonable idea, though it is a problem with theater of the mind players. Hard to really note the difference between 10 ft or 15 feet.

Remove ads