Spelljammer Spelljammer Nov 10 2022 errata.

pukunui

Legend
Maybe it’s the context priest was used in?
This seems more likely. The aartuk priest didn't just get a name change, it also lost its Religion skill proficiency. And the aartuk as a species lost their gods. I get the feeling they wanted to make the aartuk more monstrous / less of a sentient humanoid-like plant species.

Also, the astral elf star priest did not get a name change.

Golem should have a while ago. Priest is odd.
I get the issue with the word "phylactery" but I don't see what the problem with the word "golem" is. Would you be able to enlighten me?

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Backgrounds (p. 7). The following text was added to the end of the paragraph: “These backgrounds each give a feat. If a character takes a background from elsewhere and doesn’t get a feat from that background, the character gains one of the following feats of the player’s choice: Magic Initiate, Skilled, or Tough.”

This seems like the kind of thing that should really be PHB errata.

They shouldn't need to errata the 2024 PHB before it even comes out!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I get the issue with the word "phylactery" but I don't see what the problem with the word "golem" is. Would you be able to enlighten me?
Maybe it's that D&D misuses the term? "Golem" has become sort of a general term for most "Construct" creatures in D&D. Clay Golems are closest to their source material, but they're still pretty different from what Jewish Golems are. And D&D misusing the term has even bled into other pop culture (Minecraft has "Iron" and "Snow" Golems, for example). D&D takes Jewish terms (Phylacteries, Golems) and misappropriates them.

Note: I'm not saying that this is unique to Jewish folklore, D&D does this with a lot of its monsters and terminology (Devas, Rakshasa, Fomorians, Minotaurs, Gorgons, Lamia, Kobolds, Eidolons, Will-O'-Wisps, Giants, Quetzalcoatl, etc). Just saying that this change might be because of that.

pukunui

Legend
Maybe it's that D&D misuses the term? "Golem" has become sort of a general term for most "Construct" creatures in D&D. Clay Golems are closest to their source material, but they're still pretty different from what Jewish Golems are. And D&D misusing the term has even bled into other pop culture (Minecraft has "Iron" and "Snow" Golems, for example). D&D takes Jewish terms (Phylacteries, Golems) and misappropriates them.
OK. I figured that D&D's use of the word "golem" was closer to its folklore origins than its use of the word "phylactery" was.

It's also possible that they're not changing the word in a general sense and are only trying to make it clearer that the reigar can make a duplicate of themselves. We'll have to wait and see if the flesh/stone/iron golems are called something else in the 2024 MM.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Note: I'm not saying that this is unique to Jewish folklore, D&D does this with a lot of its monsters and terminology (Devas, Rakshasa, Fomorians, Minotaurs, Gorgons, Lamia, Kobolds, Eidolons, Will-O'-Wisps, Giants, Quetzalcoatl, etc). Just saying that this change might be because of that.
You left off cleric, druid, and paladin.

I would just say that D&D "appropriates" them. But I guess some might see a "miss". Though there is a whole fantasy industrial complex out there that goes farther, and then there is magna and anime, which knows no bounds...really of any kind.

darjr

I crit!
OK. I figured that D&D's use of the word "golem" was closer to its folklore origins than its use of the word "phylactery" was.

It's also possible that they're not changing the word in a general sense and are only trying to make it clearer that the reigar can make a duplicate of themselves. We'll have to wait and see if the flesh/stone/iron golems are called something else in the 2024 MM.
Might be a combination of the two.

Remove ads