Spelljammer Spelljammer Price Increase - a Poll (MISSING OPTION ADDED)

How has the price increase impacted your purchasing plans?

• No change - Will buy at FLGS (discounted or not)

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • No change - Will buy at online game store (or other independent vendor)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No change - will buy at Amazon (or other big corporation)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at online game store because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Change - would have bought at online game store, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided - because of price

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Undecided - not sure if product interests me

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Not interested - regardless of price

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Will not buy because of price

Votes: 1 1.1%

Ah. The mock-ups I've seen look like full-sized hardbacks.
It would be entirely too much to pay if I wasn't going to use it. If the material is good, it's worth it.
Don't think I would use it because I don't like campaign settings or really 5e anymore (if I'm honest).
I've paid more for shorter books, when they're from creators I really want to support. But having all three packaged together like this, without the option (so far) to buy individual books separately, seems a little unsavory to me. Let the collectors collect and the gamers game.

It hasn't changed my mind. I'm going to wait until the product is released before I decide if I want it.

In general I like the idea of magical ships existing for travel, but have never liked the specific implementation of the Spelljammer setting. However, I'll take what I want for my campaigns as needed.

I've paid more for shorter books, when they're from creators I really want to support. But having all three packaged together like this, without the option (so far) to buy individual books separately, seems a little unsavory to me. Let the collectors collect and the gamers game.

Presumably the plan is for the player-facing content to subsidize the content of the other two, since it's difficult to produce DM-facing content and really sell a lot of books. It's probably more correct to say that we'd never get anything like this if it wasn't structured this way. The amount of work to create the DM content is so high that it requires the player content to justify, and the player content doesn't have a meaningful reason to exist without the DM content.

Retreater

Legend
So this is sort of making me think of the DM's Kit boxed set that was released with D&D Essentials in the 4e era (2010). Came in a boxed set and included a couple short adventures, DM screen, tokens, and a softcover manual for $40. Also not available for individual sale.
Granted that same set would be around $53 today, adjusted for inflation.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Because it is the same amount of material as a hardback, and a shorter one at that (e.g. Tasha's - not, say, Eberron at 320 pages or Ravenloft's 256 pages).

So if you're a budget-conscious buyer, $70 for 192 pages of material is definitely an increase from past offerings, regardless of how one frames it.
Well, if you insist on removing context, like the hardcovers, the slipcase, the screen, and the double-sided map, then sure. But at that point it’s not an entirely honest comparison.

So this is sort of making me think of the DM's Kit boxed set that was released with D&D Essentials in the 4e era (2010). Came in a boxed set and included a couple short adventures, DM screen, tokens, and a softcover manual for $40. Also not available for individual sale.
Granted that same set would be around $53 today, adjusted for inflation.

Modern comparison: Free League's Twilight 2000 is a $53 box set with
  • 152-page Player’s Manual
  • A 112-page Referee’s Manual
  • A large double-sided travel map
  • 15 custom dice
  • 16 modular battle maps
  • Four battle maps for specific scenario sites
  • 108 cardboard tokens
  • 52 encounter cards
  • 10 initiative cards
  • Five blank character sheets
No GM screen, but also that's a complete game right there, no need for two other hardcover books to play it.

Of course the manuals that come with Twilight 2000 are softcover. But to me, that's a plus! A hardcover under 100 pages is an odd little creature, imo.

Remove ads