Spelljammer Spelljammer Price Increase - a Poll (MISSING OPTION ADDED)

How has the price increase impacted your purchasing plans?

• No change - Will buy at FLGS (discounted or not)

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • No change - Will buy at online game store (or other independent vendor)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • No change - will buy at Amazon (or other big corporation)

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at online game store because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Change - would have bought at FLGS, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Change - would have bought at online game store, but will buy at Amazon because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided - because of price

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Undecided - not sure if product interests me

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Not interested - regardless of price

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Will not buy because of price

Votes: 1 1.1%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh, ok - now I'm being dishonest.

There is a reason why extras are just that: extras. Not everyone buys every DM's screen or wants to pay for a slipcase. For those folks, they are playing $20 more for a second side of a map, a DM's screen, and the "new format," all while keeping to a short page count. Meaning, stuff they might not want to spend $20.

I mean, some folks are going to defend every decision that WotC makes, but I think it is important to understand why others are disgruntled.
They're not extras though. That IS this package. They're not extra to this package. This product includes those items, which are not extras but are as part of the core product here as any other part. Nobody is blindly defending every decision WOTC makes, but you're adding your own spin when you call parts of the product extra when they're not.

For me, the three book format offers a great deal more utility than the single book format. If it doesn't do that for you, fair enough. But it's as important for you to understand why people might like this (which isn't blind devotion) as it is for others to understand why you're disgruntled by it.

Mercurius

Legend
They're not extras though. That IS this package. They're not extra to this package. This product includes those items, which are not extras but are as part of the core product here as any other part. Nobody is blindly defending every decision WOTC makes, but you're adding your own spin when you call parts of the product extra when they're not.

For me, the three book format offers a great deal more utility than the single book format. If it doesn't do that for you, fair enough. But it's as important for you to understand why people might like this (which isn't blind devotion) as it is for others to understand why you're disgruntled by it.
I understand why people like it and I'm not attacking anyone for liking it. Rather, I'm defending those who aren't happy about it.

They're extras to those who just want the written material and map - as has been offered with previous products. Previous adventures came with a core product - the adventure book - then extras, from a DM's screen to minis to dice.

I mean, it is sort of like buying a truck. Some people, perhaps due to budget concerns, just want the bare bones. By saying that these aren't extras but part of the core product is sort of like saying you have to buy a Ford Ranger with extra frills. You price some people out.

Some have talked about inflation. That's even more reason to split the product up - inflation hits individuals harder than it does corporations. So have a Spelljammer core set, then an expanded package that you can pay for if you want it.

Personally speaking, I like it, at least in principle. I probably wouldn't buy the DM screen and wouldn't spend extra on the slipcase, so there is lost value for me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, some folks are going to defend every decision that WotC makes, but I think it is important to understand why others are disgruntled.

The potshot that folks are responding as fanboys, without critical thought, rather negates your own plea for people to be understood. If you are dismissing them, you give them no reason to do much but dismiss you.

Mercurius

Legend
The potshot that folks are responding as fanboys, without critical thought, rather negates your own plea for people to be understood. If you are dismissing them, you give them no reason to do much but dismiss you.
Fair enough - I apologize if someone felt I was accusing them of being an uncritical fanboy. That wasn't my intention.

That said, once again you are nitpicking what I said, looking for something to disagree with and then caricaturing it in the worst possible light, and thereby utterly missing the main thrust of what I actually said. It is a dynamic I find tedious and I'm really not interested in that game, Umbran.

I accept that the $70 price point on what is fundamentally an alternatively packaged book with some very slight "deluxe" accoutrements is a gimmick to put off the imminent price increase on normal D&D hardcovers, presumably until the 2024 "next evolution" whatever that is. Whether or not I buy it is up in the air. I probably will skip it, less because I don't care for the content or am upset by the price, but because I'm about to play in a home-adapted Spelljammer campaign that will start too early for this, and unless that dies a tragic young death I'm guessing I'll get my D&D-in-space fill for a few years.

It is what it is. I find it nowhere near as obnoxious as making Monsters of the Multiverse a timed exclusive to an expensive gift set (something I actually refused to buy on principle, even when the discount Amazon price got reasonable for something that would have come with a spare copy of Xanathar;s and Tasha's that I could actually use).

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Okay I not seeing the article where it is $70 but i will buy at the flgs to support the store.
This 3-book set comprises:
The Astral Adventurer’s Guide: Welcome to the Astral Plane—the starlit realm that surrounds the worlds of the D&D multiverse. Hop aboard a spelljamming ship and set a course for adventure. In Wildspace, everyone can hear you scream. This book is for players and Dungeon Masters that presents the Astral Plane as a campaign setting
Boo’s Astral Menagerie: The Astral Plane holds more than the promise of adventure among the stars. It is also home to some of the most fantastic creatures in the D&D multiverse. Boo, the space hamster whose adventures with Minsc the Ranger are legendary, presents this compact collection of cosmic creatures to populate your Spelljammer adventures.
Light of Xaryxis: An adventure for Dungeon Masters set in the Astral Plane. When a cosmic enemy threatens to destroy their world, brave heroes must do everything in their power to save it. This quest will take them across the teeming oceans of Wildspace to the silvery void of the Astral Sea and beyond. Along the way, they’ll make friends, encounter terrifying foes, and face one cliffhanger after another. Can they save their world before time runs out?

Stormonu

Legend
As much as I am interested in an updated version of Spelljammer, the price is off-putting. I'll wade through a couple reviews before I put any money down. While I ended up being happy with VRGtR, it was different enough from the old presentation that I almost did not buy it (though I'm very happy I did), I'm a bit wary of the possible changes for SJ we may see. I've gotten into that point of my life I am loathe to buy things sight unseen or that feel to be a bad dollar value. Been burned one too many times now (thanks, 40K).

Remove ads