D&D 5E Spells: Hypnotic Pattern, "I Close My Eyes" Says the Caster

Oofta

Legend
A reminder that Hypnotic Pattern does not actually stick around for a full round. The spell clearly states that it appears for a moment then vanishes, much as a fireball's effect does (flames spread out quickly then next person in initiative goes).

It's a brief flash so the caster can close eyes then open eyes before another creature can take advantage, assuming that another creature had not been waiting with a readied action to attack during the brief flash of light.

The concentration duration is for maintaining the hold on affected creatures after the flash of swirling lights.

Nobody is claiming that the flash lasts for more than an instant.

However, all combat is kind of happening simultaneously, we just break it up into turns for convenience. In addition, from a metagame standpoint it makes sense that there should be a penalty for excluding someone (including yourself) from a spell. After al being able to sculpt spells to exclude individuals is one of the big reasons to play an Evoker.

Nobody is claiming that the flash lasts for more than an instant.

However, all combat is kind of happening simultaneously, we just break it up into turns for convenience. In addition, from a metagame standpoint it makes sense that there should be a penalty for excluding someone (including yourself) from a spell. After al being able to sculpt spells to exclude individuals is one of the big reasons to play an Evoker.

With that line of reasoning, a person would lose their turn for getting hit by a fireball or a lightning bolt or even a sword, since for an instant, they're experiencing having to try avoiding death. or recovering from a moment of pain.

Satyrn

First Post
With that line of reasoning, a person would lose their turn for getting hit by a fireball or a lightning bolt or even a sword, since for an instant, they're experiencing having to try avoiding death. or recovering from a moment of pain.

Hmm. So if I was your DM and you were this caster, would you object to being comsidered blind for a round in exchange for getting to accomplish what you attempted? I guess it could be seen as too harsh, but do you really think so?

Oofta

Legend

I'm not even sure where to start responding to this. In case you haven't noticed, D&D is not a reality simulator. It takes many, many shortcuts to allow a smooth flow of events at the game table and to enable fun storytelling.

Much like you are perfectly healthy and able to run a marathon until the moment you drop to 0 hit points or below, for the most part responding to being hit is not modeled*.

The OP asked how people handled things like closing your eyes during a color spray would work. I've given two options (blind until start of next turn or get advantage on a save as the magic penetrates your eyelids). I think they are reasonable rulings on something that is simply not covered by the rules.

If you don't like the options, ignore them. My opinion doesn't mean any more than anyone else's on these message boards, and I never claimed my way was the one true way.

*I will note that people who have been in combat often state that they didn't realize they were shot/stabbed until after the fight was over. A lot of people that "won" duels fell over dead a few minutes after the fight from the wounds they received. Until you've been in a fight/stabbed/hit by a lightning bolt you don't know how or if you'd react.

Hmm. So if I was your DM and you were this caster, would you object to being comsidered blind for a round in exchange for getting to accomplish what you attempted? I guess it could be seen as too harsh, but do you really think so?

The problem here is not about people's feelings of fairness. The problem is that the spell is specifically worded as appearing for a moment then vanishing, short enough that it doesn't interfere with other creatures taking turns within the area of effect if they didn't get charmed.

If it was an effect that affected any creature entering the area of effect until the start of the caster's next turn, then a blinded penalty would be applicable, but if other creatures get to enter the area of effect normally, then the caster doesn't need to close eyes until the start of next turn.

The only blinded penalty that could be applicable in this instance is if a readied attack went off against the caster upon casting the spell, due to the timing given by the spell's description AND mechanics.

Satyrn

First Post
The problem here is not about people's feelings of fairness. The problem is that the spell is specifically worded as appearing for a moment then vanishing, short enough that it doesn't interfere with other creatures taking turns within the area of effect if they didn't get charmed.

If it was an effect that affected any creature entering the area of effect until the start of the caster's next turn, then a blinded penalty would be applicable, but if other creatures get to enter the area of effect normally, then the caster doesn't need to close eyes until the start of next turn.

The only blinded penalty that could be applicable in this instance is if a readied attack went off against the caster upon casting the spell, due to the timing given by the spell's description AND mechanics.

Ah cool.

You're going at it from how it fits into the fiction instead of how it fits into the game part.

Ah cool.

You're going at it from how it fits into the fiction instead of how it fits into the game part.

No. Both.

If closing eyes needed to last long enough to impose a blinded penalty for more than a single readied attack immediately following the casting of the spell, then the effect of the spell would have to affect any creature entering the area of effect after the casting. Since that is not the case here, an imposed blinded penalty would only be applicable for the momentary duration of the casting.

Mirtek

Hero
1. The section on Targeting Yourself on P 204 of the PH suggests that a caster may not include themselves as a target in an area of effect.
That is specifically refering to spells where you have a choice who to target within it'S area. Not a blank check to just exclude yourself from the fireball you drop at your own feet.

I would say, "Sure you can close you eyes. But you do need to have your eyes open at some point, to check on what is going on and watch for other things you need to respond to. Let's model that with a saving throw, a Wisdom saving throw. If you pass, the hypnotic pattern doesn't affect you but you can look around (and not suffer any blindness penalties that round)."

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I would say, "Sure you can close you eyes. But you do need to have your eyes open at some point, to check on what is going on and watch for other things you need to respond to. Let's model that with a saving throw, a Wisdom saving throw. If you pass, the hypnotic pattern doesn't affect you but you can look around (and not suffer any blindness penalties that round)."

Yeah, that was going to be my line: if you're trying to just close your eyes for the moment that the spell flashes, make your saving throw. Otherwise suck up some penalties.

Remove ads