• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells with that creepy Alienist Flavor

sckeener

First Post
Enkhidu said:
I second this: flavor text for a spell effect is a must.

The key is that the mechanics don't need to change, only the visuals (audials, tactiles, etc.)

I think the motion has carried (I'll third it?) In my game I nerf'ed and gave everyone the following feat:

Spell Thematics (AKA Ars Magica's Sigil) [General]
Your spells manifest with a distinct theme or appearance.
Prerequisite: none
Benefit: Spells are as unique to the caster as finger prints and this feat manifests itself when spells are cast. Spell Thematics never have concrete mechanical effects like causing more damage or making spells more effective. Rather, they are secondary manifestations that allow for roleplaying. Examples might include special scents that are produced when the character works magic, specific colors that are produced in spells, strange or enchanting noises that occur when magic is worked, and the like. The theme the spell caster chooses holds true across all types of magic, so a spellcaster whose theme was the scent of brimstone would produce that effect whether casting Fireball or Cure Light Wounds. Nearly any theme is possible, so long as the spellcaster can describe a link for unification. For example, the theme might be “lightning,” “ spheres,” or “ screaming skulls.” If spheres were chosen as the theme, magic missiles might take the form of glowing spheres of light, and summoned monsters might emerge from mysterious rainbow-colored globes. If the theme is “lightning,” the haste spell might manifest as a bright green spark that leaps from ally to ally.

I highly recommend mining Ars Magica's Sigils for interesting Spell Thematics. As an additional I have my magic items infused with spell thematics from strange spell casters.

Gold Roger

First Post
I use spell thematics as well, except I don't require a feat for it. It's optional for PC's (if not specified I expect their spells have the generic appearance), but almost all of my NPC's use them.

sckeener

First Post
Gold Roger said:
I use spell thematics as well, except I don't require a feat for it. It's optional for PC's (if not specified I expect their spells have the generic appearance), but almost all of my NPC's use them.

It was a free feat, so the players didn't mind. I always loved the concept of Sigils in Ars Magica, so I grabbed on to Spell Thematics when I played. In the last game I ran, I decided to have everything flavored, so I nerfed the bonuses to the feat and used it as flavor text.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads