• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellsword: Channel Spell (CW)

nhl_1997

First Post
If a spellsword channels a ray (or any spell capable of critical hits) into a melee weapon, can the spell crit?

a) Caster level 6 scorching ray channeled into a rapier. The attack roll is a 20 and the threat is confirmed. Does the attack deal 4d6 or 8d6 of fire damage from the scorching ray?

b) Same as above, but the attack roll is a 19 (which hits) and the treat is confirmed. 4d6 or 8d6 from the scorching ray?

c) Caster level 12 scorching ray channeled into a rapier. Attack roll is a 20 and the threat is confirmed. 12d6, 24d6, or 16d6 (obscure ruling that only one of the three rays can crit)?

d) Caster level 12 scorching ray channeled into a rapier. Attack roll is a 19 which hits and the threat is confirmed. 12d6, 24d6, or 16d6?

cmanos

First Post
I don't have the book in front of me to be sure of this, but I think I would say that the critical would be on the weapon damage. Allowing it to double the damage of the magical attack as well would be abusive...

pbd

First Post
The PHB says that additional damage dice don't multiply with a crit. I would assume that a chanelled scorching ray would count as additional damage dice and not multiply on the crit.

However, I think you could make a good arguement for doubling the scorching ray damage on a nat 20 (with a crit confirmation), since the ray would crit on the 20 if used normally.

pbd

Remove ads