• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiderman 2 Spoiler Thread

mmu1

First Post
BTW, I'm sure everyone could care less, but I actually got a kick out of the fact they used my college for all the school scenes. Even if they were taking a physics class in the main chemistry lecture hall, which was apparently located somewhere in the vicinity of either the english department building or my freshman dorm. ;)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I loved the movie, but one thing did occur to me:

What's up with the University that Peter Parker attend? It's like the metahuman generator.

1) Pete gets bit at the science lab and becomes Spider Man.
2) Doctor Octopus was apparently associated with the University at one time (Prof. Connors knows him anyway).
3) Prof. Connors will some day become the Lizard.
4) I wouldn't be suprised to find out that Oscorp funded a lot of research at the University.

Also, a common theme from the comic book that carries over to the movie: Being associated with Peter Parker leads to insanity and the development of superpowers. :)
1) His best friends' father. (Green Goblin)
2) One of his scientist heroes becomes a supervillian shortly after meeting him. (Doc Ock)
3) His best friend. (Hobgoblin)
4) His teacher at the university (Prof. Connor - The Lizard)5) A fellow employee at the Daily Bugle (Eddie Brock - Venom)

I know it's to make the conflicts more personal to Peter Parker, but you think people would notice a trend after awhile and start avoiding him (or seeking him out).

Last edited:

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Caliban said:
Also, a common theme from the comic book that carries over to the movie: Being associated with Peter Parker leads to insanity and the development of superpowers. :)

In the comics, the same is also true of J. Jonah Jameson. He's directly responsible for the creation of the Scorpion and of the Spider-Slayers.

Taelorn76

First Post
I thought this was a great movie, better than the first one. But they failed t answer one question. Why were his powers failing him. They never address that. I mean were they failing him because he was doubting being Spidey? It was still a great movie and that did not really take away from ti to much.

Taelorn76 said:
I thought this was a great movie, better than the first one. But they failed t answer one question. Why were his powers failing him. They never address that. I mean were they failing him because he was doubting being Spidey? It was still a great movie and that did not really take away from ti to much.
That was one of my favorite parts.

We have no idea WHY he was losing his powers...so it could happen again. Not everything always needs explaining. Gets to leave us guessing, too. Maybe he was just having a bad couple of weeks, or maybe its something more dangerous. :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Taelorn76 said:
I mean were they failing him because he was doubting being Spidey? It was still a great movie and that did not really take away from ti to much.
Yep, that's why they were failing. Remember the doctor's comment about it all being in his head.

Man, that was one terriffic movie. I have to see it at least a couple more times, now.

For a minute, I thought Skinny Blonde Girl was going to turn out to be Gwen Stacey. Thankfully, no.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Henry:

Stan Lee WAS in the first Spidey movie. He saved a little girl in a very similar situation...the Marvel movie Stan Lee wasn't in was X2(methinks at least)

Actually, there may have been a special edition that put this back in, but the theatrical version of the film had him in it, but his rescue of a small girl was cut for time. I may rent it and double-check to be sure, but I remember him mentioning the fact that he was in it, but his "rescue" was cut, making this one all the sweeter. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
WayneLigon said:
Yep, that's why they were failing. Remember the doctor's comment about it all being in his head.

My memory is faulty on this point, but didn't one of the early Amazing issues have his powers failing him due to the flu or something? They lifted a LOT of different scenes and plot points from earlier issues for this film.

EDIT: Found this on a Geocities Website:

Amazing Spider-Man # 12: "Unmasked by Dr. Octopus!"
Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: Steve Ditko
Synopsis:
Dr. Octopus goes on a crime spree hoping to draw Spider-Man into another battle, but it doesn't work and he's forced to kidnap Betty Brant. Spidey confronts Dr. Octopus, but he's overcome by a 24-hour flu which makes their battle a quick and decisive one. Dr. Octopus unmasks him, but since Spidey didn't put up much of a fight he figures that the photographer Parker was trying to be a hero. The next day, Peter feeling much better and decides that it time for a rematch. Spidey and Dr. Octopus battle it out along the rooftops until a raging fire in an artist's studio brings an end to their fight. Dr. Octopus is apprehended by the police.

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Henry said:
My memory is faulty on this point, but didn't one of the early Amazing issues have his powers failing him due to the flu or something? They lifted a LOT of different scenes and plot points from earlier issues for this film.

I'm pretty sure in the past when he has gotten sick his powers have been funky.

myrdden

First Post
Taelorn76 said:

Fantastic movie. I liked it better than the first; and I liked that one a lot.

As far as the super power thing goes, I chalked it up to stress and self doubt. It had to have been pretty stressful trying to hide his alter-ego and live a real life. At some point self-doubt kicked in and it took MJ's abduction to re-focus Peter.

I liked the reference to tritium too. I had to laugh when it was mentioned that there was probably not more than 25 lbs of the stuff on earth. I've personally handled more than 25 lbs in my line of work. The geek inside had to snicker.

Remove ads