• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiderman No Way Home Trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if it was just Peter not shutting up that made the spell go weird or if that specific moment is tied into the sudden existence of the multiverse?

Good question.

On another note, I think Strange no longer having his Infinity Stone might be why he would not be aware that the multiverse now exists until it is too late. Or will that turn into an actual MCU plot hole? If the multiverse came into being all along the timeline at the same time, people like Strange should know about it, without realizing he did not know about it before that.

I don't think there's a plot hole in evidence.

The implication of Loki is that Infinity Stones are local - they don't have powers outside their own timeline. So, there's not a strong argument that the Time Stone would inform him about multiversal reality.

And, while he's Sorcerer Supreme, it isn't like he's been studying for it since he was a child, or something - it is a job he's picked up in the last few years, and it may just be a subject that he knows little about.

And also, it looks to me mostly like Strange expects that, done properly, the spell would work just fine. One of his hallmarks is more than a bit of arrogance, after all.

Janx

Hero
How do we know the whole thing isn't a dream sequence? Sort of.

We're not shown any snippet of anybody not recognizing Spiderman. We are shown a whole lot of mirror world.

What if Strange is teaching spidey a lesson, and the spell wasn't what he said it was?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
How do we know the whole thing isn't a dream sequence? Sort of.

We're not shown any snippet of anybody not recognizing Spiderman. We are shown a whole lot of mirror world.

What if Strange is teaching spidey a lesson, and the spell wasn't what he said it was?

But ... wouldn't that require the trailer to be misleading, instead of actively giving away all the main plot points of the movie?

I thought that was against the law, or federal regulations of trailers, or something, which required the studios to release at least three trailers for every movie that given away all major plot twists?

Rune

Once A Fool
But ... wouldn't that require the trailer to be misleading, instead of actively giving away all the main plot points of the movie?

I thought that was against the law, or federal regulations of trailers, or something, which required the studios to release at least three trailers for every movie that given away all major plot twists?
I think trailers that are cut to give away the entire movie’s major plot points and/or funniest jokes are generally the product of three of factors:

1. A lack of decent material in the movie to work with.
2. Laziness/lack of creativity on the part of the trailers’ editors.
3. Studio interferance.

Often, all of the above.

Rune

Once A Fool
The question we need to ask ourselves is whether marvel's in the habit of making trailers that give away all the big juicy bits.

If not, that may imply that these snippets aren't yet the most interesting parts of the film!
Oh, I can’t think of any Marvel Studios trailers that do that (at least with plot – maybe a little with jokes). They wisely go heavy on misdirection, too.

I think, in this case, they chose to reveal Alfred Molina because he had already publicly said (implied?) that he was going to be in the movie.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, I can’t think of any Marvel Studios trailers that do that (at least with plot – maybe a little with jokes). They wisely go heavy on misdirection, too.

I think, in this case, they chose to reveal Alfred Molina because he had already publicly said (implied?) that he was going to be in the movie.

Yeah. And Marvel movie trailers do often give you the very basic setup/premise of the film, which I suspect is the point here.

MarkB

Legend
The idea of Spider-man trying to regain his secret identity is an interesting one in the context of the MCU, which pretty much swore off the whole secret-identity trope from day one with "I am Iron Man", and has largely been all the better for it.

Then again, Peter's secret identity has always been a lot more fundamental to his stories than to many other Marvel heroes, so it is good that they're actually addressing that in detail, whether or not he actually gets to regain his anonymity in the end.

Stalker0

Legend
The idea of Spider-man trying to regain his secret identity is an interesting one in the context of the MCU, which pretty much swore off the whole secret-identity trope from day one with "I am Iron Man", and has largely been all the better for it.

Then again, Peter's secret identity has always been a lot more fundamental to his stories than to many other Marvel heroes, so it is good that they're actually addressing that in detail, whether or not he actually gets to regain his anonymity in the end.
Yep, especially in the context of a kid suddenly becoming a super famous person. Tony has already been famous a long time when he comes out, Steve and Wanda had governmental seclusion as people start to hear about them.

but Peter is thrown out into the world and exposed for all to see, and it looks like they are going to take the time to show how jarring that is

Remove ads