• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiderman No Way Home Trailer

Stalker0

Legend
I think the big gamble in this movie is around the number of villains.

Two villains in a movie has rarely gone well, and 3 villain movie have generally tanked (ala Superman 3).

there’s just not enough screen time to make your villains interesting when you have that many.

So my hope is that most of the villains coming back will be more cameos, and we only focus on 1-2. Otherwise inthink it’s going to be just too much for one movie

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
there’s just not enough screen time to make your villains interesting when you have that many.

I don't expect the villains to be the actual point of the film. The point will be the meta-struggle Peter is having about his identity, and the villains complications and metaphors in that struggle.

And, possibly, a setup for the Sinister Six, because rarely does Marvel make a thing that isn't setting up other things.

Undrave

Legend
I don't expect the villains to be the actual point of the film. The point will be the meta-struggle Peter is having about his identity, and the villains complications and metaphors in that struggle.

And, possibly, a setup for the Sinister Six, because rarely does Marvel make a thing that isn't setting up other things.
I'm thinking Peter and Dr. Strange might be skipping into the multiverse and encountering different set-up for Spider-man (the one with Doc Ock seems to imply he's a rich public figure? Maybe Mr. Stark's heir?), with them trying to find their way back to the main MCU, and at the end Peter will be "You know, I'll try to make it work here instead." and the whole journey will have given him new confidence or something.

delericho

Legend
While that's usually true, it's maybe less so here - because these are returning villains (and, indeed, all of Spidey's most famous villains) they don't need to spend a lot of time on the villain's origin stories. They should be able to just jump right into whatever else is going on.

Yes and no, since a film about them would be all Sony and not part of the MCU. Unless there is some new agreement, or change in the current one, only the Spiderman films are MCU, and any spinoffs are Sony Spiderverse.

Undrave

Legend
Spiderverse had Kingpin, Prowler, Tombstone, Doc Oc and Scorpion in the movie and managed to make it work. What they DIDN'T do is spend time on their origin story. They're there, they are villains, they have some kind of History and personality, but Prowler and Kingpin were the only ones that really had development time spent on them. Doc Oc had enough personality to be entertaining and that was enough.

Good question.

I don't think there's a plot hole in evidence.

The implication of Loki is that Infinity Stones are local - they don't have powers outside their own timeline. So, there's not a strong argument that the Time Stone would inform him about multiversal reality.

And, while he's Sorcerer Supreme, it isn't like he's been studying for it since he was a child, or something - it is a job he's picked up in the last few years, and it may just be a subject that he knows little about.

And also, it looks to me mostly like Strange expects that, done properly, the spell would work just fine. One of his hallmarks is more than a bit of arrogance, after all.

The thing about all that that makes me wonder is once the mutliverse comes into existence, it does it along the entire timeline. That means the multiverse simply exists, before Strange was born, while he was training, when he became Sorcerer Supreme, in the fight with Thanos. That adds an additional layer onto all the previous movies, but especially Doctor Strange and dealing with Thanos. That scene where he is looking at millions of possible outcomes and only one is a good one? Instead of possible futures, now he was looking at all the alternate timelines and looking for one to emulate, so that his timeline would have the good outcome. Does he just know that is what he is doing or does he still think he was just looking at possible futures?

Remove ads