Spider's Path

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Watches are set and the party settles for the night, the quiet of the woods differing from the night sounds of camp. The night passes slowly for those who took a guard shift but uneventful. Only once during the night does the group wake to what sounds like a group of people walking somehere off in the darkness. "Gnolls." Martomum mumbles then heads back to bed. The group in the dark seems to walk off and are not heard again that night.

In the morning after a cold breakfast, greatly unlike the one from the pervious day, the group sets out again for Harkon Manor. The march would be weary if not for all the practice received as they walked along with the army. It is close to midday when the first signs of this spider on two legs start to show.

The party starts to see small webs off the path that they our following. First one alone then two together. A few more yards down the trail and they see a web like interlocking circles directly in the path, between two trees. Easily circling around the trees they walk another hour and come to webs covering the trees and brush on both sides of the path and thick white webs hang in front of the path.

Grusome things hang in the sheets of webbing on the sides of the trail. You have seen a squirrel, and a bird danglying from one. And in another what looked like a badger or ground hog suspended in twisting white strands. The skeleton of a tall humaniod sits with its back to a tree, covered in webs like a death shroud.

"Tis not bees right, it no be like tis afore." Martomum whispers in awe.

[sblock=ooc] Marching order I am taking as the same though the scouts have come in once the webs appeared. I need spells for the day incase you have anti-spider ones lol. Also need to know weapon in hand and anything else important before I take this to combat. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Claude at the back of the group with an arrow half-nocked in his bow ever ready for attack. As they walk past the spider webs he gets a slight shiver up his spine at the thought of such a death but he moves on still. "can anyone tell how long these webs have been here?" He askes the group as he continues walking.

[sblock]
- Claude is at the back of the group
- bow at ready
- if able, ready action to shoot at something that seems like a threat
[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth is repulsed by the grotesque hanging leavings of snacks and snacks-to-be of the spider-like entity. Nevertheless, the young warrior-mage walks on, his cruel-looking chain always in hand.

He cocks his head as though listening for something, but only shakes his head in answer to Claude.

[sblock=OOC]
Same order sounds okay to me. Jareth will stay near the front, spiked chain in his hands.

Spells are:
Lvl 0 Spells (Cast 0/3, DC 13): Touch of Fatigue, Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Disrupt Undead
Lvl 1 Spells (Cast 0/3, DC 13): Color Spray, Shocking Grasp

And if you want to roll Initiative for me to speed things up, HM, that's alright with me. My modifier is +2.
[/sblock]

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham is a bit put out when Claude takes his position at the back of the group but tries not to show it. Instead he joins the march just in front of Claude. He carries his, uncocked, crossbow in both hand, along with a bolt. While walking along, Trinham tries to listen for stalker, as he did yesterday but all he can hear today is Claude moving behind him.

Trinham is a bit spooked by the contents of the spider's web. However, after the animated bush of a few weeks ago he thinks he is prepared for anything. Therefore he starts looking around to see if he can spot the spider.

[sblock="Mogins"]Mogin will not fight. He will stay with his master while he is using distance weapons or spells. Once it looks like Trinham is going to be involved in melee, he will run and hide.[/sblock]
[sblock="OOC"]Trinham: Listen +2, Spot +2
Mogins: Listen +3, Spot +3[/sblock]
[sblock="Spell List"]Sorcerer Level 0 Spells: Daze, Flare, Ghost Sounds, Mage Hand.
Sorcerer Level 1 Spells: Magic Missile[/sblock]
[sblock="Spells Per Day"]0 Level: () () () () ()
1 Level: () () () ()[/sblock]

Theroc

First Post
Aidan's skin pales slightly at the sight of the contents of the web, looking about somewhat nervously. He sticks close to Lora, as always, regardless of her position as he readies his javelin and his sickle, 'ready for anything' as he looks about. He tries to conceal his nervousness, not wishing to appear a coward to the others present, though primarily his concern was looking like a coward in front of Lora.

His adrenaline started flowing a bit, the boy's step a bit lighter than before, his stance obviously shifting as he moved, as if anticipating attack at any moment.

"I thought ya said a spider on two leg's, Martomum..."

[sblock=OOC]
Aidan draws his javelin and his sickle
He's positioned within 5-10 feet of Lora at all times.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
Lora was deep in thought. She wanted to remember if she had read anything about the creature in mention. She was also slightly annoyed at Aidan who seemed to follow her around, but the girl didn't have the time right now to consider his motives.

[sblock]Hey! Sorry for being away again. Umm, what Knowledge check can Lora roll to see what she knows about this thing[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=Myth and Legend]
NP I know all to well about RL getting underfoot. I will assume your spell selection for this day is the same as the other? And Know(arcana) 12 is not good enough to remember anything sorry. All spiders Lora knows about have 8 legs. [/sblock]

The party continues on and are shortly in a forest of white. Webs hang or cover everything, they walk atop them and have to cut them out from infront of the path they follow. The things caught in these webs become more numerous and grusome in their various stages of decay.

Huddled close as they inch forward the party hears a low moaning/hissing sound coming from the trees.

"It's be hims," Martomum whispers. "Day Madds Eatercap."

"Mmorrssiss, mmorrssiss!! Dwwarffsss you hhavvesss retturrnsss, mmorrssiss." a low crackling voice calls out.

Frozen Messiah

First Post
Claude pulls his arrow back in his bow and does a silent prayer, readying himself for the battle. "Does anyone have a way to set fire to these webs? Because if things are going bad that is our escape strategy, ok." Claude whispers to the people around him while keeping his eyes and mind trained on any movement

[sblock]
Ready an action to shoot at the ettercap when he is in vision
Claude's attack:
1d20+1=19, 1d8+3=6
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Trinham cocks his crosbow, seats the bolt and points it in the general direction that the voice appears to be coming from.

[sblock="Spell List"]Sorcerer Level 0 Spells: Daze, Flare, Ghost Sounds, Mage Hand.
Sorcerer Level 1 Spells: Magic Missile[/sblock]
[sblock="Spells Per Day"]0 Level: () () () () ()
1 Level: () () () ()[/sblock]

Myth and Legend

First Post
"We might start a forest fire if we do that. - Lora's voice was quiet and her face was very concentrated. - Mart what kind of a spider can talk? It also seems to know you."

Remove ads