• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spiked chain -- would this work?

Galfridus

First Post
I believe that the current "official" ruling depends on two points:

1) Readied actions take place before the action that triggers them. This is paradoxical, but in essence the original acting character never performs the action.

2) You don't declare actions in advance; if you can interpret what your character has done thus far in multiple ways, you may choose any valid interpretation.

#1 is proven in the SRD by the following sentence under Ready:

The partial action comes before the action that triggers it.

It is arguable whether or not "the action that triggers it" must then be performed. I am not sure if the Sage or anyone else has ruled explicitly on this. By the book, then, this could go either way and is up to the DM.

#2 is alluded to (and perhaps stated explicitly; no rulebooks here) in the PHB by a passage which talks about making full attacks: you don't have to choose your targets in advance; instead you can decide what to do after making the first attack. I believe that it also says you can convert a single attack to a full attack (or not) after making the first attack.

I don't believe the book is crystal clear on this, but (lacking a quotation) my recollection is that they intend characters to be able to change their minds mid-action.

With these being stated, here's how I would run it.

1) Attacker closes, suffers AoO
2) Defender's ready action triggers before attacker can attack.
3) Attacker, mid-action, elects to continue their movement action before attacking.

I like this interpretation because it gives players more options, and makes it a little harder to abuse the Ready rules -- not to imply that this example is an abuse.

Iku Rex

Explorer
1) Can Al move 5 more feet towards Bill before making an attack?
2) If he cannot, or even if he does, could he change his action (say, to cast a spell defensively?)

"Yes" to both questions. You don't "declare" actions in DnD, so if you haven't performed an action yet you are only limited by what you have already done.

Similar thread on Wizard's boards:
http://boards.wizards.com/rpg-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=112&t=002085&p=

3) If Bill has combat reflexes and a high enough DEX, COULD he get another Attack of Opportunity on Al if Al decides to move that extra 5 feet to him to make an attack?
No. Read the feat. Only one AoO per opponent per round.

Darklone

AoOs.

I think wizards didn't explain this more since they thought some gamers out there have a little bit common sense left...

Another example: A player wants to walk around a corner. Behind the corner (10ft) lurks an orc with a weapon. Do you ask your player to declare his movement and attack/spell/whatever before he walks around the corner?

I have to admit that most AoOs rulings are ... very strange. That's where houserules poke in.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: AoOs.

Darklone said:
I think wizards didn't explain this more since they thought some gamers out there have a little bit common sense left...

Commonsense is anathema to the compleat rules lawyer.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: AoOs.

Another example: A player wants to walk around a corner. Behind the corner (10ft) lurks an orc with a weapon. Do you ask your player to declare his movement and attack/spell/whatever before he walks around the corner?

Of course not :) The orc gets a surprise round, then they roll initiative.

It's a DM's job to teach his players that corners are evil.

;)

-Hyp.

Remove ads