• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spikes on non-bludgeoning wooden weapons?

Dwarmaj

First Post
Can you cast Brambles/Spikes (from DotF) on a wooden sword or on a lance? All of the weapons mentioned in the description are bludgeoning and the spell does say "This spell works only on melee weapons with wooden striking surfaces."

But the target of the spell says "One wooden weapon".

Sejs

First Post
Without actually looking at the spell itself and just going from what you've posted here: an ironwooded wooden sword does have a wooden striking surface. A lance has a wooden striking surface just the same as well. So I don't see why not.

Will look up the spell and post back. Un momento.

Edit/Additional: yeah, looking at it everything seems kosher.

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
For balance reasons, you'll want to interpret a "striking surface" to be something different than a "striking edge" or "striking point".

Even then, you'll need to House Rule wooden shields as unusable or things will quickly degenerate into munchkin land. Believe me, I've been there.

Sejs

First Post
Doesn't matter even then. Greater Magic Weapon, Shilleligh and Spikes on a Quarterstaff make it just disgustingly brutal.

1d10+15/1d10+15 double weapons make baby jesus cry.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sejs said:
Doesn't matter even then. Greater Magic Weapon, Shilleligh and Spikes on a Quarterstaff make it just disgustingly brutal.

1d10+15/1d10+15 double weapons make baby jesus cry.

Make sure you cast Shillelagh first.

-Hyp.

Sejs

First Post
Arguable, as it's a spell that would be granting the enhancement bonus, rather than a property of the item itself, but point well taken all the same.

Heya, Hyp. How ya been?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sejs said:
Arguable, as it's a spell that would be granting the enhancement bonus, rather than a property of the item itself...

Not very arguable...

The GMW'd staff will beat DR/Magic, which is bypassed by "a magic weapon (any weapon with a +1 or higher enhancement bonus, not counting the enhancement from masterwork quality)".

Given that, under GMW, the staff is a weapon with a +1 or higher enhancement bonus, not counting the enhancement from masterwork quality, it is by definition a "magic weapon", which argues very, very strongly against it also simultaneously being a "nonmagical staff".

Heya, Hyp. How ya been?

Uh... since when?

I've been fine...?

-Hyp.

Sejs

First Post
Given that, under GMW, the staff is a weapon with a +1 or higher enhancement bonus, not counting the enhancement from masterwork quality, it is by definition a "magic weapon", which argues very, very strongly against it also simultaneously being a "nonmagical staff".

Right, the argument would be that it is a nonmagical staff with a spell effect on it. Anyway. Interestingly enough, it looks like by the wording you could have a +5/+5 quarterstaff with Speed on both ends, cast dispel magic on it and (assuming you succeed at the dispel check) slip in a Shillelagh during the 1d4 rounds it's suppressed.

LGodamus

First Post
Sejs said:
Right, the argument would be that it is a nonmagical staff with a spell effect on it. Anyway. Interestingly enough, it looks like by the wording you could have a +5/+5 quarterstaff with Speed on both ends, cast dispel magic on it and (assuming you succeed at the dispel check) slip in a Shillelagh during the 1d4 rounds it's suppressed.

I would say no...it doesnt become non magical ..it becomes supressed so any effect that required a non magical item still wouldnt work

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LGodamus said:
I would say no...it doesnt become non magical ..it becomes supressed so any effect that required a non magical item still wouldnt work

From the SRD, Dispel Magic:

If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item’s caster level. If you succeed, all the item’s magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. An interdimensional interface (such as a bag of holding) is temporarily closed. A magic item’s physical properties are unchanged: A suppressed magic sword is still a sword (a masterwork sword, in fact). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

-Hyp.

Remove ads