• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SpirosBlaak: What is it?

jcfiala

Explorer
So, while browsing the dealer's room at Tacticon last weekend, I came across an interesting titled book by Green Ronin called 'SpirosBlaak' - it's part of their Mystic Vistas line.

And I could not figure out what the heck it was. The back was a bullet list of what seemed to be generic crunch - new classes, feats, spells, etc. It didn't seem to have a good description, though, of what the heck 'SpirosBlaak' was.

Anyone have any idea what it is? I looked on their website, and they had a little paragraph about lycanthropes and dead gods...

Krolik

First Post
"SpirosBlaak, the latest in Green Ronin's critically acclaimed Mythic Vistas line, presents a complete archduchy that can be used as a stand-alone campaign setting or integrated into an existing world. With the gods fallen, it is up to the Player Characters to bring light and hope back into an archduchy overrun with lycanthropes. In addition to detailing this grim and gritty setting, SpirosBlaak includes black powder rules, new core and prestige classes, and a plethora of new gods. When the moon is full, will you lock your door and hide or draw your sword and fight?"

There's a link here for the work Misfit Studios is doing for the line as well: www.misfit-studios.com/spirosblaak/spiros.html

Christina

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
The Web site actually turned me off from buying this book. I think that unless you're going to absolutely dazzle with Web content, you should probably stick to a product description and a supplemental PDF or two. :\

Do you mind elaborating on what turned you off exactly?

Also, note that Misfit Studios has released a black powder supplement of weapons for the setting. More pdfs are to come.

Christina Stiles
Misfit Studios

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
The Web site actually turned me off from buying this book. I think that unless you're going to absolutely dazzle with Web content, you should probably stick to a product description and a supplemental PDF or two. :\
That doesn't work well for our purposes. The entire setting is OGC, which allows third parties to come in and create SB products if they like. Such an open experiment requires more information than "here's a picture of the book, here's where you can buy it."

As the setting continues to develop, the site will be updated to reflect new information, free web content, etc.

Last edited:

jcfiala

Explorer
Christina said:
Do you mind elaborating on what turned you off exactly?

I haven't been turned off yet, but I'm flabbergasted at how little publicity there's been for this. I hadn't heard of it before I came across it last weekend, and - as I said - the back of the book wasn't any help in convincing me that this was the book to buy.

I've looked around on the Spiros Black website, and it's very cluttered, it's extremely hard to read, and I still don't know much more than I did before - something's happened to the gods and there's a bunch of lycanthropes around. It says something about being an archduchy you can add to your campaign world, but the website suggests in other places that it's an entire world. And how many GMs will want to add a new duchy to their world if it comes with black powder weapons? Well, I guess we'll see.

(And if the gods have fallen, why do we have a bunch of new gods in the book? How have they fallen - are they no longer divine but are working on earth to regain their divinity? Have they died? Have they turned into demons, or (even better) lycanthropes of their own?)

I'm curious, but all I can find are crumbs so far.

Michael Dean

Explorer
I bought it at Gen Con and have been very pleased. I was hooked by the black powder rules they had on Green Ronin's site and it was on my must-buy list at Indy. I also saw the supplement for Misfit Studios and will probably pick it up this weekend.

The setting is very grim and dark; it reminds me of Warhammer, which is a plus in my book and why I bought it. I don't have the book with me and I haven't taken it apart yet since school started, but it hasn't disappointed me so far. If this thread lasts for a while, I will go into it in more depth this weekend and give my impressions, for what they're worth.

jcfiala said:
I've looked around on the Spiros Black website, and it's very cluttered, it's extremely hard to read, and I still don't know much more than I did before - something's happened to the gods and there's a bunch of lycanthropes around. It says something about being an archduchy you can add to your campaign world, but the website suggests in other places that it's an entire world.
Think of it along the lines of Freeport. The city can be dropped into an existing campaign world but Freeport products also operate in such a way as to consider an entirely new world outside. The SB corebook can drop the Archduchy into you game in such a way, but it would require similar considerations (as you said, there's new gods in there which have to be incoporated or cast aside in favor of those of your existing world.)

And how many GMs will want to add a new duchy to their world if it comes with black powder weapons? Well, I guess we'll see.
The firearm rules are getting some fairly good feedback and the arsenal book Christina mentioned are doing respectable sales.

(And if the gods have fallen, why do we have a bunch of new gods in the book? How have they fallen - are they no longer divine but are working on earth to regain their divinity? Have they died? Have they turned into demons, or (even better) lycanthropes of their own?)

I'm curious, but all I can find are crumbs so far.
The gods have essentially been ousted out of their divine realm (or the latter's been destroyed--only the gods know and they aren't talking.) So, they now walk the mortal world, mixing their blood with that of their people, which results in characters being able to take Divine Heritage feats (special abilities that come with having a god's blood in one's veins.) This also means divine powers and spells work differently because the "channel" back to the gods aren't as strong now that they walk the earth. Most of the gods choose to remain out of sight (for now, anyway), but Sallous Yar, god of the undead, is slowly carving a kingdom for himself and has been causing trouble ever since he arrived.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here, on our boards, or by dropping me an email. I'm always glad to chat about all things SpirosBlaakian (he said as he makes up a new word.)

Michael Dean said:
I bought it at Gen Con and have been very pleased. I was hooked by the black powder rules they had on Green Ronin's site and it was on my must-buy list at Indy. I also saw the supplement for Misfit Studios and will probably pick it up this weekend.

The setting is very grim and dark; it reminds me of Warhammer, which is a plus in my book and why I bought it. I don't have the book with me and I haven't taken it apart yet since school started, but it hasn't disappointed me so far. If this thread lasts for a while, I will go into it in more depth this weekend and give my impressions, for what they're worth.
Michael, if you're interested we're looking for people to playtest upcoming SB materials. Drop me a line at trustrum@misfit-studios.com if you want to join in.

Michael Dean

Explorer
jcfiala said:
I haven't been turned off yet, but I'm flabbergasted at how little publicity there's been for this. I hadn't heard of it before I came across it last weekend, and - as I said - the back of the book wasn't any help in convincing me that this was the book to buy.

I agree with you on the lack of publicity. I went to Green Ronin's table first because I had been waiting all summer to get a look at it. But this is the first thread I've seen at En World about it, and as I said before, it's a really solid setting. I can't believe I am that out of touch with the mainstream. Maybe I am just a sucker for d20 firearms rules and hunting werewolves. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads