• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spites (1st attempt at making a monster)

SlannMagePriest

First Post
I posted this on the WotC forums but got no feedback, so I figure maybe here.

Ok, so this is my first attempt at a monster for fourth ed. so here it goes.

First these are not ment to be anything major as far as monsters go, but more like....interactive scenery. Something to give alittle more life to a forest, and give it that "magical" feel for those forests near the feywild or whatnot. They are based off of the Warhammer spites that hang around wood elves, just not as violent. If my fluff is bad I am sorry I just got off work and really wanted to post this, I will do more fluff later if needed. The mechanics of their abilities will be in bold, if you are a DM that choose to skip fluff that wont fit in your world. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Spites are the mischievious spirits of the forest. Elves long ago learned that while these spirits can be annoying, they mean no real harm to those that bring no harm to the forest. They have no real form, some appearing as strange spider like creatures, others as glowing colored balls of light. They tend to hover mostly around treefolk, but will travel and live within Elven communities.
Spites Level 1 Lurker 100xp
Small Fey Spirit
Strength 01
Constitution 01
Dexterity 13
Intelligence 08
Wisdom 13
Charisma 16

Initiative +5
AC: 15
Fort: 14
Ref: 13
Will: 14

HP: 14
Bloodied: 07

Alignment unaligned; Languages -

Nature’s Essence: Spites are one of many incarnations of nature in a spiritual form, and as such are not physical creatures but merely the force of will of the forests they inhabit. Spites use their Charisma Modifier for calculating HP, Attack, Fortitude Defense, and Damage. Mundane weapons do not injure Spites, only magical weapons/effects can deal damage to a Spite.

Serene Sorrow: Spites are the mischievous spirits of nature and can never truly meet with death. When one is destroyed a small blooming of flowers, plants or molds forms in the surrounding area filling the individual with a profound sense of sorrow. When a Spite is reduced to 0 or less Hit Points by a character that character cannot attack their next turn.

Treestride: Spites flow with the forest as if they were its lifeblood. This ability is the same as the Dryads ability of the same name.

Spirit Touch: At will-melee
+6 vs. AC 1d6+3

Eyebite: Encounter. Same as the Warlock Ability both in fluff and mechanics.

Note: This is just the “standard” spite here are a couple of extra types of spites, by replacing the Eyebite Encounter Action with the following:
Terror(spite): Standard Encounter-Fear
Close burst 5; targets enemies; +5 vs. will; the target is stunned until the end of the Terror’s next turn. After effect The target takes a -2 to attack rolls (save ends)
Fluff: A Terror enjoys nothing more then shocking individuals that it encounters. Some elves believe that by leaving food out while they work, Terrors will be placated and not jump out for a scare when the individual is least expecting.
Mischief(spite):Standard Encounter-Sleep
target enemy; +5 vs. will; The target is slowed (save ends). If the target fails the first save, they become unconscious (save ends).
Miss: The target is slowed (save ends).
Fluff: “Mischiefs are natures way of reminding us to sit back and enjoy the day” -Elven saying. To the elves if a person is caught in the trap of a mischief then they are not aware of the wonder of the world. Those that fall to a Mischief’s trance usually awake with the same sense of wonder of the world like a child, freely taking in the beauty and splendor of nature. Also, their coin purse tends to be lighter as Mischiefs love shiny objects.
Radiant(spite): Standard Encounter-Radiance, Enchant
Target ally; the spite bonds with an allies weapon granting +1d6 radiant damage until the end of the encounter.

Fluff: A true friend and defender of the forest may find that the forest will return this affection by granting that person a Radiant. Radiants will bond with their weapons granting the wielder their strength in times of great need and sacrifice for the forest.

Stalker0

Legend
Most of the nature's essence mechanic is unnecessary. 4e monster's don't have to rationalize their numbers, you just give them numbers you think are appropriate, and let the rest tend to itself.

I also wouldn't make them immune to nonmagic weapons, immunities are very rare in 4e. Give them resistance 5-10 to nonmagic weapons instead.

Pennarin

Explorer
There are no longer Resist or Immune entries for untyped damage, or even damage from weapons.
Resist and Immune cover the listed (see MM) keywords, and Weapon is not one of them.
The only creatures that have Resist to weapons are big guys like Orcus, who have Resist All in their stat blocks. So, by default, this resistance stops everything, including weapon's damage.

Remove ads