• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Splitting your Move - The Move-Attack-Move Dynamic

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You can split up your move.
But you must expend an action to disengage from an adjacent enemy.
If you don't disengage and you move away from an adjacent enemy who is not adjacent to your ally, you are opportunity attacked at advantage.
if you are flanked by two enemies who are not adjacent to your allies, they attack you at advantage.
These are the tactical rules I'm using in my game.

To be clear, those are your house rules, not the actual rules. I don't recall anything about advantage with opportunity attacks, or flanking.

Ichneumon

First Post
Move-attack-move (MAM?) deserves to stay in D&D for as many editions as get published in the future. While in practice, most attacks will occur before or after the move, being able to attack within the move leaves the door open for memorable stunts. MAM truly comes into its own on a grid, even though you can use it with theatre of the mind. This is because it's easier to spot opportunities for utilising this feature.

It'll be good to see just how it interacts with the tactics module. In the meantime, my own house rule for flanking would be that the flanked target cannot make a withdrawal action. Of course, they can still move, but it might hurt.

Ashkelon

First Post
As someone who has played a lot of Savage Worlds, I feel people are overhyping the move-attack-move aspect of combat in 5e. Is it nice? Yes. Does it dramatically change how combat works? No.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Breaking Up A Move and the ability to move between multiattacks is one of my favorite feature of D&D Next. My friends also loved it immensely as soon as we first playtested it. It makes combat more dynamic and make movement more fluid and fun in general i think. You can move, open a door and resume your movement contrary to other editions for exemple. This enables you to do things more naturally and also makes multiattacking with Extra Attacks and Two-weapon fighting more flexible too. #PureGold

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Speaking about oppportunity attacks, another thing that subtly affect movement freedom is how they are provoked compared to the previous edition. You can move within the reach of an hostile creature without provoking an opoportunity attack, only leaving its reach will do.

It make combats less static and more fluid i've found.

EDIT Its also easier now to drop prone, stand up, and squeeze than the previous edition where it used to be action of some sort (move or free action usually), making movement more easy.

Last edited:

Remove ads