[SPOILERS] Mike Schley's PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE Maps: Take 2!

Mike Schley's maps for Princes of the Apocalypse, which were previously released and then unreleased, have now been rereleased. Mike is the cartographer from the adventure, which is out today in preferred stores, and you can purchase prints of each of the maps directly from him. He has posted 13 maps in total, including regional, village, and interior maps of various locations. Click on any below for his gallery and store and, if you can, pick up a print to support the artist!

Mike Schley's maps for Princes of the Apocalypse, which were previously released and then unreleased, have now been rereleased. Mike is the cartographer from the adventure, which is out today in preferred stores, and you can purchase prints of each of the maps directly from him. He has posted 13 maps in total, including regional, village, and interior maps of various locations. Click on any below for his gallery and store and, if you can, pick up a print to support the artist!

schley1.jpg

schley2.jpg

schley3.jpg

LapBandit

First Post
I really love all the art, but I have one criticism of the dungeons, they inherently try to fill/pack an 8.5 x 11 shape with as much dungeon as possible. Someone playing through these maps can intuit areas they have not seen fairly easily. I'm not saying my players meta, but I want the players as well as the PCs to be surprised by layout.

Chimpy

First Post
Might be an idea to edit the news post to mention MacDonald's maps too - don't want to show favouritism and both artists have done a great job!

Nebulous

Legend
I have all the maps but not the actual adventure yet. I love the area maps and Red Larch, but i noticed there's no key on the Red Larch map itself. I think I'm going to photoshop that in to match the numbers on the buildings and then print it at poster size, probably 22x11 inches.

draccombbt

First Post
I've been applying 5x5 battlegrid scale to all the maps in GIMP. Most of them can be printed to a .8 inch per 5x5 scale on two 3x4 posters to create a giant 4x6 combined map. The only real drawback here is cost; Fedex/Kinkos wants approximately $120 per 3x4 sheet...so thats almost $250 PER MAP.

That's a $3,000 investment...does anyone have any cheaper solutions to get these printed to battlegrid scale?

FWIW I did do a giant 3x4 for the Dessarin Valley to track overland travel and discovery and it looks AMAZING at that scale. :)

I've been applying 5x5 battlegrid scale to all the maps in GIMP. Most of them can be printed to a .8 inch per 5x5 scale on two 3x4 posters to create a giant 4x6 combined map. The only real drawback here is cost; Fedex/Kinkos wants approximately $120 per 3x4 sheet...so thats almost $250 PER MAP.

That's a $3,000 investment...does anyone have any cheaper solutions to get these printed to battlegrid scale?

FWIW I did do a giant 3x4 for the Dessarin Valley to track overland travel and discovery and it looks AMAZING at that scale. :)
Welcome to the boards!

Holy crap. If you're getting into $3000 territory, it might already be worth just buying a plotter of your own and printing these for yourself.* (*Note that this is a serious answer, it's just not a great suggestion.) Beyond that, I don't know...maybe get a job in a print shop?

I'm not sure if you'll find a cheaper way to get physical battlemaps. Have you tried going digital? I've got Schley's maps on a 55" LCD TV in front of my game table thanks to Roll20.net. I'm gonna say that whole arrangement cost me maybe $1000 CAD, and I can use that TV every day (which is a hell of a lot more than I ever used any of my battlemaps).

draccombbt

First Post
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome :) I priced out plotters; they start around $4,000. Thats a big hit up front, versus a couple hundred bucks each month as the party progresses. Also, digital is appealing, but I'm a giant fan of miniatures, to an unreasonable degree :p Was considering a giant LCD that could lay flat on the table and thus still use mini's, but then fogging the undiscovered regions becomes a huge time consuming task that may break tempo and frustrate my (more reasonable) players.

The problem is that the maps are so pretty, and look amazing at scale. :)

Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome :) I priced out plotters; they start around $4,000. Thats a big hit up front, versus a couple hundred bucks each month as the party progresses. Also, digital is appealing, but I'm a giant fan of miniatures, to an unreasonable degree :p Was considering a giant LCD that could lay flat on the table and thus still use mini's, but then fogging the undiscovered regions becomes a huge time consuming task that may break tempo and frustrate my (more reasonable) players.

The problem is that the maps are so pretty, and look amazing at scale. :)
If you're a minis guy, I suspect you already knew this would be an expensive proposition either way lol.

Maybe have a look into projection systems; I've seen some folks have a lot of success with an overhead-mounted projector pointed at a tabletop, plus you don't have to worry about damaging the screen of a TV. I will say that Roll20 is definitely the smoothest, most user-friendly interface I've ever used. If you use the dynamic lighting feature, the map will auto-fog, you'll just have to move a digital token when the player moves their mini.

Remove ads

Remove ads