• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spooky Music

Jolly Giant

First Post
I've never used music at all during gaming, but there is one track I've been wanting to use for some time now, and that is "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg. It's from his original music score for Henrik Ibsen's 'Peer Gynt'.

The track is certainly creepy enough in its own way, although its probably not exactly what you're looking for. In the scene this piece belongs to, Peer Gynt has been lured into the dungeon hall a troll king by the seductive dancing of the king's daughter. The music sets in as an entire clan of mountain trolls emerge from the shadows and close in around Peer. They proceed to perform an intimidating dance around Peer, as they taunt and mock him. As their dance grows faster, louder and wilder; so does the music. An extremely dramatic piece, where the bass drums take some heavy beatings. Its 19th century heavy metal, just perfect for a giant encounter! :cool:

As I said, this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I recommend it to everyone who likes to use background music for their games. Even I am just waiting for the right moment to use it, and I never use background music... ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mouseferatu said:
I'd be willing to upload the actual Temple of Doom track--the one with the chanting--as an MP3, if the moderators would confirm that they'll allow me to do so, since the CD is not available from any current US markets.
Ari, I'd rather this be handled off-the-boards by email, please. The track sounds really cool, but that's not an appropriate thing for us to host.

Snotlord

First Post
I'd want to throw in some additional coppers for Diamanda Galas' Plague Mass records. Its the scariest music around. Nothing comes close.

... well, maybe Celene Dion, but the genre does not fit.

Firebeetle

Explorer
Celine Dion does fill me with terror.

However, John Christopher's self-done soundtrack for Prince of Darkness is the scariest movie music outside of Psycho (the classic standard, some musicians use it to judge if their music was really scary. They play their bit than the psycho music to the same scene and see if if they did any better.) It is VERY hard to find however. My current CD I ordered ten years ago from Europe. The sort of thing you have to come across in a bargain bing. If you do, GRAB IT! It is very appropriate for evil temples, I've used it more times than I can count.

Danzig (yes, the 80's heavy metal rocker) has a treat of an album called "Black Aria".

Tangerine Dream's Atem and Zeig albums are terribly creepy and have lots of spooky vocals.

There is a great trance like track off of the "Eyes Wide Shut" album by Dead Can Dance that's plenty creepy too.

Remathilis

Legend
Firebeetle said:
Danzig (yes, the 80's heavy metal rocker) has a treat of an album called "Black Aria".

However, the album is out of print and rather expensive on ebay (around $40). There is also a Black Aria II, but I've heard its not as good.

You might get lucky at a second-hand music store though.

Job

First Post
Lustmord. Anything by Lustmord will set a very creepy tone. You can easily find his CD's on ebay.

My favorites from Lustmord are "Heresy", "Monstrous Soul", and "Where the Black Stars Hang". The "Heresy" CD starts off with something that I can only describe as an infernal klaxon, and I use it to kick off every D&D session with my players. :)

Job.

Oh, dur. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

Deep voice, chanting, spooky... What you want, my friend, is "Ave Satani" from the Omen soundtrack. (The original; I have no idea what the soundtrack of the remake is like.)

Unfortunately, at least IMO, the bulk of the soundtrack is fairly boring, and it's certainly not much use in gaming--but it's almost worth it for that one piece alone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ominous music?

Try finding: The soundtracks to The Shining, The Omen, The Last Temptation of Christ or the like; something that has "Tibetan Throat Music;" early psychedelic Tangerine Dream; assorted tracks by Kodo (very rhythmic); Buckethead's Colma or Death Cube K, or Bill Laswell's projects like Praxis, Material or even Chaos Face's Doom Ride.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads