• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spooky recorder/flute/ocarina/shakuhachi solo music?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know for a fact that you can find collections of Japanese flute that would pretty much do what you want- not only do I own one, but I see them all the time in the "International Music" section of the places I buy CDs.

Eh, I can't find anything 'spooky.' Everything seems to be "nature-y" or "beautifully serene." I need something that sounds like it's out of a horror soundtrack. Don't suppose there's a movie that has such a soundtrack? Or maybe a video game?

The Little Raven

First Post
Eh, I can't find anything 'spooky.' Everything seems to be "nature-y" or "beautifully serene." I need something that sounds like it's out of a horror soundtrack. Don't suppose there's a movie that has such a soundtrack? Or maybe a video game?

I've had trouble finding horror soundtracks with woodwinds, as strings and percussion usually help set a horror mood better. I'd suggest looking at Zamfir's music... he does pan-pipes, and some of his stuff might be appropriate for what you want. One of his most well-known tracks (which definitely is not what you're looking for) is The Lonely Shepherd, from Kill Bill (plays when the end credits in Volume 1 roll).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...

The shakuhachi CD I have is "SHAKUHACHI- The Japanese Flute" from Electra Nonesuch's Explorer series.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Shakuhachi-Japanese-Flute-Kohachiro-Miyata/dp/B000005IWN[/ame]

You might also check out some Native American flute music.

In the alternative, you might try the works of some of the early jazz flautists, like Yusef Lateef. I suspect, however, that most of those recordings will include other musicians besides the flautists.

How about the Circle of Iron (aka The Silent Flute) soundtrack?

Remove ads