• 3 - Moderate interest

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 2 - Pay some attention

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 1 - No interest or care

Votes: 9 36.0%

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The thread asking who's going to win the Super Bowl prompted this thread.

I don't have any interest in any sports. The only sports broadcast I watch is the Super Bowl -- mostly for the commercials and half-time show, and the fact that it'll be a subject for social discussion for the next week. I'll watch some Olympic events -- mostly because it'll be a subject for social and media discussion for a month. But I don't care at all about either the Super Bowl or the Olympics. Total meh.

Whenever I get together in any kind of social gathering, a sports discussion comes up, especially in a male group. But I have nothing to add to such discussion. Just, nothing.

The only time I was interested in a sport was when my sons played soccer, and that interest was strictly limited to my son's team and games. Other than that, none of us, (me, my wife, or my two sons), have much interest or knowledge of sports, really.

For Christmas, my brother-in-law sent my youngest son a present -- a life-size wall sticker of some pro soccer player, (because my son played little soccer for a few years, ending last spring). We unrolled the big package and saw the soccer player, and we all said, "Um, who's this?" Hell, it wasn't until we unrolled it all the way down to see the soccer ball at his feet that we even realized it was a soccer player.

How about you? Are you a sports enthusiast? One sport, many sports, all sports?

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very little. I'll watch and cheer for England in the World Cup every 4 years, but that's the totality of it. I have nothing against it, though.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I like sports. I mostly watch MMA, NFL, NCAAM, NCAAF, MLB and occasionally some NBA. If it's not the NFL I typically only watch games that involve teams I follow. The NFL, though, is something I can watch no matter who's playing. I also read a lot about the stuff.

I find that a lot of the folks that don't appreciate sports (er, watching - playing them is a whole different animal) don't typically understand a whole lot about them. I'm interested in them for the small details. It's fun to watch the game as a game but, IMO, it's even more fun to watch one small part of it as it unfolds - the way the line pulls on a run play, what pitch a pitcher chooses when there's one on, two out and he's down in the count, etc. A lot of the folks I've talked to that say they don't like sports only understand what's happening on the broadest level. I dunno, I think they may appreciate 'em more if they understood more of what's going on.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I have no use what you just said! Literally, in the actual literal sense of the word!

Yeah, I should have explained what those are. Let's see if this helps (as you're not an American and not a sports fan, I'm'a gonna go with 'no' :p):

MMA: Mixed Martial Arts (most know the UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship)
NFL: National Football (American) League (professional American football)
NCAAF: National Collegiate Athletics Association Football (amateur (college/university) American football)
NCAAM: National Collegiate Athletics Association Men's Basketball (same as NCAAF but basketball)
MLB: Major League Baseball (possibly the most arrogant entity on the planet. baseball is hugely popular on an international level yet the only teams in MLB can compete in the World Series)
NBA: National Basketball Association (professional basketball)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Not interested, but it is hard to avoid being exposed to sports news as it is omnipresent. Helps to make small talk, as long as it stays superficial.

Me: About that local sports team? They won last night!

Co-worker: Yeah, Moniz really was amazing. Trading him for Goldberg and Samson was a great move even if they are performing well in that other town, don't you think?

Me: Umm... Go local sports team!

Tea He

Banned
Banned
Not interested, but it is hard to avoid being exposed to sports news as it is omnipresent. Helps to make small talk, as long as it stays superficial.

Me: About that local sports team? They won last night!

Co-worker: Yeah, Moniz really was amazing. Trading him for Goldberg and Samson was a great move even if they are performing well in that other town, don't you think?

Me: Umm... Go local sports team!
That's a break dance team, right?
Break dance is a sport in Quebecistan!?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I haven't been to a sporting event in person in a while, but I follow plenty, and watch some on TV when I get the chance. I don't own any sports memorabilia.

I played tennis myself, and I used to watch more and go to the local pro event, but haven't kept up with it lately because the quality of play at the top level has dropped off so badly.

I follow most of the major sports somewhat regularly; football, baseball, basketball, soccer. Hard to get much into fanship because virtually every team in my geographical region is terrible.

I'm not much of a sports viewer. I would rather play a sport than sit around watching it. The only sport I do watch it MMA. Even then, it depends on who is fighting. If I miss an event, I won't die. I do go to a local ports bar when I want to catch one of the fights. When there is a good fight, the place gets packed, and people get really into the fights.

Well, it depends.

I voted "enthusiast" based on one sport: Formula 1. I try and watch every race. Other motorsports I like, but I won't watch obsessively; I will watch portions of big races (LeMans, Daytona 24, Daytona 500) or tracks I like (Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca), but won't give it my full attention.

Every other game (insert Hemingway quote here) I pretty much ignore, except when the Olympics roll around, at which point my wife & I will watch a lot of different sports over the two weeks (I prefer Winter, she prefers Summer).

Remove ads