• 3 - Moderate interest

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • 2 - Pay some attention

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 1 - No interest or care

Votes: 9 36.0%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I like some sports. I find it kind of fun to watch people doing things I can't do - see the amazing things they can accomplish. I particularly like when the Olympics rolls around because I can watch sports that aren't as overexposed as the main professional sports. I also enjoy some aspects of sports history. Ken Burns's documentary series on baseball was quite enjoyable to watch even if it did tend to focus overmuch on teams in New York and Boston.

I tend to only watch the X games on ESPN which are going to start later this week and even then it's only a few events that I watch. But other wise I'm not that much of a sports watcher and due to health I can't even play any sports.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
The best thing about the superbowl is that the clothing stores are nearly empty (well, the men's departments). I couldn't give a rodent's rectum for football games, or any professional sport. I honestly do not understand the mentality.
Really, unless you are directly involved or personally know someone who is actively participating, what's the point in getting all worked up? Especially when it's "Our Home Team." Sorry, but those aren't members of your home town--they didn't grow up there (unless there's a rare exception), nor do they have anything to do with the town. Not really. They simply happen to be professionals hired by the person who owns the franchise that is based locally. They're ringers. All of them.
This "Fear the Beard" crap that showing up locally has me shaking my head.

I don't get it.

Mod Edit: Political commentary removed. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

delericho

Legend
I pay enough attention to football (soccer) to be able to talk about it if I must - so I know how the leagues in Scotland stand, how the big four or so teams in England are doing, but I almost never actually go to a game, and very rarely watch on TV - I always have something I'd rather do.

The one exception to this is when Scotland are once again failing to qualify for the World Cup and/or Euros, in which case I'll generally try to watch the matches.

nerfherder

Explorer
Well, it depends.

I voted "enthusiast" based on one sport: Formula 1. I try and watch every race.
Similar here. It's the only sport that I enjoy all the discussion around it, the interviews, the gossip. I'm not even that interested in other motorsports. That's possibly a chicken & egg situation, as I'd need to know all the teams and drivers to be interested.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't have any interest in any sports.
Yeah, that. Actually, considering the follow-up explanation, I would actually belong in the missing poll option 0 - 'what is this sports, you are asking about?' I don't watch any sports whatsover, no olympics, no world championships, nothing - not even when my country happens to be hosting the event. I actively avoid any news about sports, too. I don't even know the majority of sport celebrities.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
The best thing about the superbowl is that the clothing stores are nearly empty (well, the men's departments). I couldn't give a rodent's rectum for football games, or any professional sport. I honestly do not understand the mentality.
Really, unless you are directly involved or personally know someone who is actively participating, what's the point in getting all worked up? Especially when it's "Our Home Team." Sorry, but those aren't members of your home town--they didn't grow up there (unless there's a rare exception), nor do they have anything to do with the town. Not really. They simply happen to be professionals hired by the person who owns the franchise that is based locally. They're ringers. All of them.
This "Fear the Beard" crap that showing up locally has me shaking my head.

I don't get it.

Mod Note: Political commentary removed. ~Umbran

First, the folks that get paid all those millions very often do mean a lot to the cities they play for. They set up a lot of charity and do a lot of charity work. Additionally, they're part of the reason all of those empty menswear stores you appreciate so much are actually staffed. See, major sports are big business and they bring all sorts of money into the city which creates all sorts of jobs. Bars, restaurants and stores of all kinds see people pop in that they wouldn't otherwise. These teams are a major part of the economy in most of the cities they're in and the players very often make a lot of charitable donations to the area as well. If you doubt it ask the folks in New Orleans what they think about Drew Brees. That's just one example of many.

Second, as for the appeal, well, if you don't get it you don't get it and it's probably because you don't want to get it. There's nothing wrong with that but assuming there's something wrong with people who do see an appeal to sports most assuredly is. It's beyond simply rallying around a team. There's a whole lot more to sports than the score and a lot of people appreciate those smaller details. Basically, your ignorance by choice in no way qualifies you to judge those that watch sports. You just don't know nearly enough to make the sort of assertions you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First, the folks that get paid all those millions very often do mean a lot to the cities they play for. They set up a lot of charity and do a lot of charity work. Additionally, they're part of the reason all of those empty menswear stores you appreciate so much are actually staffed. See, major sports are big business and they bring all sorts of money into the city which creates all sorts of jobs. Bars, restaurants and stores of all kinds see people pop in that they wouldn't otherwise. These teams are a major part of the economy in most of the cities they're in and the players very often make a lot of charitable donations to the area as well. If you doubt it ask the folks in New Orleans what they think about Drew Brees. That's just one example of many.

Beyond even all those excellent points, he presence or lack of pro/college/amateur sports is often among the deciding factors in corporate relocations, just like with schools, libraries, museums, parks and other quality of life factors.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
The towns and cities were there before the sports teams. Obviously there was something of interest to draw people in before the sports teams arrived.
Charity is all very well and good, I guess. Unfortunately, my counter argument goes into politics.
My logic and business logic are very different--we've had that discussion before.

As for criticizing others, well, I'm not a joiner, nor do I understand the need to join. That is all. That is a reflection on me, not those who do.
I do think the behavior some of the sports fads and franchises encourage is a little odd.

Anything else I say would fall under political ban. (again)

Remove ads