• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spring attack,bounding assault and the feint chain

Eman Resu

First Post
I was reading the class abilites of the Inv. Blade prst class. The class gets a chain of class feats imp fient, uncanny fient, greater uncanny fient.
This gives them 1 free action bluff to set up sneak
a 2nd swift action bluff to set up a 2nd sneak attack in same round
and a 3rd move equivelant action bluff to set up another sneak attack

all 3 of these SA could take place in same round provided the BAB of rogue was high enough, right?

secondly all the above attacks could happen after a 1st initial standard SA like from an invisible rogue, or a well hidden rogue...again the BAB would need be high

I thought of this after reading Daring Outlaw, the swashbucklers BAB coupled with the rogue SA, I thought to be pretty sweet.

I then thought of combining bounding assualt with the imp uncanny fient feat chain, so a would be attacker could run in get 2 SA's and then tumble/run out..

what part of above is even possible/viable?

Eman Resu

Icyshadowlord

First Post
I see no gamebreaking problems with that, but some DMs might think you are an optimizer. However, any DM who would say that to me would get a verbal attack far more brutal than a bear mauling you for saying that a class that is overshadowed by the group Wizard isn't allowed to have chances to shine stat-wise.

Okay, my comment seemed to rail off into a game balance rant. But either way, using feats and abilities in that manner seems both logical and fun. Hit-and-run tactics for the win.

udalrich

First Post
The biggest problem that I see is, after using a move, swift and free action to make the three bluffs, you only have a standard (and free) action left. Getting three attacks out of a standard is challenging.

I haven't recently looked at most of the abilities listed near the end of your post, so if you can get the attacks, it will work.

Eman Resu

First Post
The biggest problem that I see is, after using a move, swift and free action to make the three bluffs, you only have a standard (and free) action left. Getting three attacks out of a standard is challenging.

I haven't recently looked at most of the abilities listed near the end of your post, so if you can get the attacks, it will work.

well now thats the real trick isnt it. The martial BAB of the Swashbuckler and reading the Inv Blade class for the 1st time is what prompted this.

Let me see a 12th level 8Swash / 4Rogue would have a 11-6-1 BAB and thus 3 attacks. If said Robuck or Swogue pc (not very appealing names are they) had haste 11-11-6-1 then you added on TWF 9-9-9-6-1 this should be more than enough attacks to get the job done, and by the looks of it this could be done at a much lower level.

As far as damage goes, I would imagine the Daring Outlaw feat would be a must for above pc so he would have the SA of a 16th level rogue,yes? Not earth shatering by any means but a "respectable" wallop.

kitcik

Adventurer
A BAB of "11-6-1" turns into a BAB of just "11" if you only have a standard action. Iterative attacks require a full round attack action. Haste would get you another attack, though, so that is a start.

Dandu

First Post
Let me see a 12th level 8Swash / 4Rogue would have a 11-6-1 BAB and thus 3 attacks. If said Robuck or Swogue pc (not very appealing names are they) had haste 11-11-6-1 then you added on TWF 9-9-9-6-1 this should be more than enough attacks to get the job done, and by the looks of it this could be done at a much lower level.

Greater Air Elementals
Immune to Sneak Attack, 178 HP, AC 26, and flying.

Adult Black Dragon

199 HP, AC 27.

12 Headed Hydra

129 HP, AC 22.

Colossal Monstrous Scorpion
300 HP, AC 27.

Barbed Devil

126 HP, AC 29.

Make sure you can reliably hit these enemies and contribute meaningfully (25% of their health in damage, or disabling them) each round if you want to make sure that you're bringing enough firepower to the fight.

Many attacks mean nothing if you're just whiffing at the enemy due to a low attack bonus.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Why get all those feats for Bounding Assault when you can just get Pounce with 1 level in Barbarian?

Why waste a move action for a 3rd feint if it's going to rob you of a full attack that round anyway?

Why not just get flanking support and not bother with feinting at all?

Just felt like asking some questions. Mostly because I've never seen an Invisible Blade OR a feint build that didn't seem utterly pointless.

Eman Resu

First Post
Ive never played this build before nor the selected feat chain not am I a big rogue guy so Im not 'fluent'...

would a rogue Druid or just polymorphed rogue - as a tiger, with pounce feat, get his sneak attack with all attacks? claw/claw/bite/rake?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads