• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Attack with two weaps

Random Axe

Explorer
SA feat allows a combatant to move both before and after its attack, up to a total move of its Speed rating.

This implies that if the combatant has a high BAB, he can still only make one attack roll since he is moving greater than a 5' step.

But if that combatant with SA has 2 weapons in hand, I see nothing in the feat that disallows him from making both weapon attacks before moving off.

My actual question is, what about a monster with 2 natural attacks and the SA feat? Is it also allowed to do both slams before moving the rest of its move?

Christian

Explorer
Random Axe said:
But if that combatant with SA has 2 weapons in hand, I see nothing in the feat that disallows him from making both weapon attacks before moving off.

My actual question is, what about a monster with 2 natural attacks and the SA feat? Is it also allowed to do both slams before moving the rest of its move?

Unless something in the feat specifically says otherwise, making more than one attack requires a full attack action with at most a 5' step.

Cameron

First Post
Random Axe said:
SA feat allows a combatant to move both before and after its attack, up to a total move of its Speed rating.

This implies that if the combatant has a high BAB, he can still only make one attack roll since he is moving greater than a 5' step.

Just one atack. There is a feat somewhere that allows you to hit once with each weapon on a Spring Attack. I just can't remember what it is called or where it is at.

frankthedm

First Post
Cameron said:
Just one atack. There is a feat somewhere that allows you to hit once with each weapon on a Spring Attack. I just can't remember what it is called or where it is at.
Thats in the PHB2 IIRC.

Bounding assault IIRC.

Darklone

frankthedm said:
Thats in the PHB2 IIRC.

Bounding assault IIRC.
Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz IIRC allow iterative attacks with one weapon during a Spring attack... Dual Strike works like Manyshot for melee attacks, e.g. one attack roll with lower to hit chance that allows both weapons to hit, though I am not sure it can be used with Spring Attack.

Arkhandus

First Post
Nope. The Combat chapter describes it pretty clearly I think. You only get extra attacks from anything on a full-attack action, unless the ability that grants you an extra attack specifies in its description that you can use it with a standard action attack or the like.

10th-level Fighter wielding a greatsword dashing past with Spring Attack? Only gets one attack.

10th-level Fighter wielding 2 battleaxes dashing past with Spring Attack? Still only gets one attack.

10th-level Monk wielding bare hands and maybe some nunchaku dashing past with Spring Attack? Still only gets one attack.

10th-level Wizard wielding a gnarled stick and buffed with Haste dashing past with Spring Attack? Still only gets one attack, and probably dies on the opponent's turn for getting close enough for the monster to charge him in melee.

10th-level Awakened dire bear Fighter wielding a bite and two claws dashing past with Spring Attack? Still only gets one attack.

Darklone

10-th level Barbarian wielding some big bad stick with reach (perhaps thanks to Enlarge Person) dashing past with Spring Attack using Improved Trip? Trips the opponent, gets another attack, kills his opponent thanks to Power Attack and Great Cleaves through all the mooks in reach? Gets hundred of attacks. :D

isoChron

First Post
Tempest gains the ability at 5th level. This is pretty good since it has no penalty to hit.

The feat Dual Strike allows an attack with both weapons as standard action but at -4 (off-hand weapon light) or even -10 (off-hand medium weapon or larger).

Every two-weapon fighter should become a tempest ;)

So a clear no to all other spring attacking creatures. Normally you just get one attack.

Wanderer20

First Post
Re

This was discussed long ago, and the FAQ clarified it as follows: Spring attack lets you make an "attack action" while you move, not a standard action; hence, a single attack of any kind (even starting a grapple).

You can convert a standard action into an attack action, but not vice versa.

So if Dual Strike is a standard action, you cannot use it where you are allowed a move+attack action like Spring Attack (the same rule for those who want to use Manyshot with Shot on the Run).

You might be interested in the fact the FAQ stated that using RAW the rule is as above, but it wouldn't be so unbalanced to allow Dual Strike and Manyshot to be used during Spring Attack and Shot on the Run.

I personally would let the player use the combo DS/SA and MS/SotR since they are so expensive in terms of feats

Darklone

Grhmpf, Greater Manyshot with Shot on the Run? Heeeheeeheee.

Well, it wouldn't be sooo unbalanced because it's not the combo GrManysh+ ShototR that is quite strong but the combo GrMany+ImpSkir+Scout/Ranger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads