• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Attacking Shadowdancers!

Lordnightshade

First Post
Ok, so I was trying to figure out what feat to take for my 2nd level shadowdancer. I looked at Spring Attack, and thought… hmmm could that be combined with my hide in plain sight ability to basically move – attack – hide? I asked one of the “rules lawyers” in my group, and he told me he didn’t think I could do that, so I called up Wizards of the Coast Technical Support (800-324-6496) and asked them. The guy who had answered the phone said he had heard that question before and this is what he told me:

“You know how you can draw your weapon while you move if you have at least a +1 BAB? Well this is kinda like that, if you are a shadowdancer and can hide in plain sight you can hide/move – attack – hide/move.” He then went on to say that there was a module somewhere that had an NPC in it that could do this. He didn’t recall the name of the module (If anyone knows which one it is, that would be very helpful).

Anyway I really like this idea, and I would love to be able to do this, however, the other players in my group are concerned about this, and I want to be able to sell my DM on this idea as it IS up to him. Also I want to be able to use this with my NPC Shadowdancers when I DM.

Is this little trick something that is possible?

Here are the arguments from people in my group against this:

“If hiding is not an action, then a character with above a +20 something in hide can never be attacked. (b/c no one has +30 on their spot check) being able to appear from nowhere, sneak attack, and then disappear is too good. It can only be beaten by those with ungodly spot checks, which are well nigh non-existent.
This makes hide in plain sight is even better than improved invisibility!!! Which it shouldn't be.”

My reply to this is: It’s not my fault no one puts their skill points in spot, I know when I DM a lot of my NPCs have very good spot checks, and I don’t feel that this would be unbalanced.

Another person in my group said:

“That whole sequence seems wrong. It makes you completely un-hittable in combat. Hiding after attacking makes it better than invisibility. On the other hand, you are only getting one attack a round with it, so it might not be THAT bad.”

True, this is really good, however, as a Fighter 4/Rogue3/Shadowdancer2 I don’t have that many hitpoints, and I think being able to spring attack like this very nicely fits the whole Shadowdancer concept, ‘a warrior striking unseen from the shadows.’

So please let me know what you guys think.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Lordnightshade said:
“If hiding is not an action, then a character with above a +20 something in hide can never be attacked. (b/c no one has +30 on their spot check) being able to appear from nowhere, sneak attack, and then disappear is too good. It can only be beaten by those with ungodly spot checks, which are well nigh non-existent.
This makes hide in plain sight is even better than improved invisibility!!! Which it shouldn't be.”

This is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Remember, you won't be able to take 10 on Hide during combat, which is most definitely a stressful situation. If you roll poorly , and your opponent rolls very well, he may still be able to spot you.

Lordnightshade said:
“That whole sequence seems wrong. It makes you completely un-hittable in combat. Hiding after attacking makes it better than invisibility. On the other hand, you are only getting one attack a round with it, so it might not be THAT bad.”

Remind them that anyone can do the same trick. Only they need to make a bluff check, and then find a nearby spot to hide.

Also remind them, that there are situations in which this ability will be useless. High noon in the middle of an open courtyard, for example. Or a long empty hallway.

If they think this is nasty, just wait until you get Shadow Jump... Hide in the shadow of a doorway, Shadow Jump behind someone to flank them, sneak attack, then Hide in Plain Sight.

Really, this is the whole PrC's are around... So character's can do funky :):):):) like this.

Lordnightshade

First Post
Just thought of something that would seem to be in my favor, if you take -5 to your hide check, you can move at normal speed and hide. From the SRD:

Hide (DEX; ARMOR CHECK PENALTY)
Check: The character's Hide check is opposed by the Spot check of anyone who might see the character. The character can move up to one-half normal speed and hide at no penalty. At more than one-half and up to the full speed, the character suffers a –5 penalty. It's practically impossible (–20 penalty) to hide while running or charging.

So, it would seem to make sense to me since I can hide in plain sight, that I could take my -5 penalty, hide/move – attack – hide/move with spring attack. That on top of only getting one attack per round makes it even more balanced I think!

Heck, with +23 to my hide (cloak of elven kind) I could still get a +3 to my hide if I wanted to charge and hide!

Azger

First Post
Lordnightshade said:

My reply to this is: It’s not my fault no one puts their skill points in spot, I know when I DM a lot of my NPCs have very good spot checks, and I don’t feel that this would be unbalanced.

In order to hide in plain sight, the shadowdancer needs to be within 10 feet of a shadow. I decent light source will prevent the shadowdancer from ever being able to hide in sight. So just carry a hooded lantern that illuminates a 30 ft radius.

Also... You don't need spot for this... All you need to counter it is ready an action to attack the shadowdancer when he comes within range. If the shadowdance is performing melee actions just ready an action to do a partial charge against her.

Broken Fang

First Post
I'm not sure I would allow it...but I'll think about it more over the weekend. The problem I see is that it is much easier to jack up the Hide and Move Silent skills over Spot and Listen.
These are some of the readily available (dare I use those words) items that give a +10 bonus to sneaky skills:
Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind, Potion of Hiding/Sneaking, Ring of Chameleon Power (+15!), and a Ring of Invisibility (special).
Things that add to Spot/Listen:
Eyes of the Eagle (+5 to Spot)...hmmmm I think that might be it.

So assuming you are of equal level the fighter trying to find you will have a difficult if not impossible chance of finding you. Cross-classed skills really suck here!

Lordnightshade

First Post
Broken Fang, so what, the fighter has way more hitpoints than me, and with his power attack, and readied actions he will win the fight, no way a shadowdancer could go toe to toe with a fighter trading hit for hit and live.

Using a Supernatural ability is a Standard Action per the PHB. Hide in Plain Site is a Supernatural ability. Case closed.

Of course your DM could rule differently if he wanted. Not sure if this would be too powerfull anyway with the 10' to shadow requirement.

Remove ads