• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft? SotC? Traveller? Etc.? What to run - opine here!

What game should I run at the DC gameday? (Check any or all that apply)

• Spycraft: Island of Dr. Shang (improved edition)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Psion

Adventurer
EDIT: Poll is closed, but I am still getting batted around with new options of Traveller (or other Space Opera) or Spirit of the century. Please post to let me know your thoughts.

Alright folks, though I did toy with running Spirit of the Century, the game I had in mind is going to take some tweaking that is not done yet. So unless I absolutely fall in love with the soon-to-be published Thousand Suns, looks like I'm running Spycraft.

I see two options here (with various sub-options); if any of these interest you, let me know.

First, I could run the Island of Dr. Shang scenario again, or (if you played last time) run a sequel. The Island of Dr. Shang features characters and action based on a few of my favorite martial arts flicks, especially the classic Enter the Dragon and Mortal Kombat.

Last game was sort of a "rough draft", and I will definitely have improvements in both the character write-ups and scenario.

Second, I could use my already perfectly fleshed out classic espionage character set and run a classic action/espionage/technothriller style game, possibly featuring the newly released World on Fire setting.

So what of this--if any--interests prospective players out there? Please check any or all that interest you.

Last edited:

Xer0

First Post
As always, got to ask, 2.0 or old school? It really doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but it's good to know.

Psion

Adventurer
Xer0 said:
As always, got to ask, 2.0 or old school? It really doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but it's good to know.

2.0. :)

All gear up for characters will be done (players can feel free to change the gear picks, but my experience is that it takes too long with new players.)

Xer0

First Post
Psion said:
2.0. :)

All gear up for characters will be done (players can feel free to change the gear picks, but my experience is that it takes too long with new players.)
Good lord, yes it does.

Psion

Adventurer
Okay, pretty tepid response thus far. I could persist under the "if you run it, they will come" philosophy.

But I'm also given to wonder if Spirit of the Century would go over better, and Liz brings up the possibility of Traveller (or maybe thousand suns). I may launch a new poll tonight.

Seonaid, 2 questions:
1) Does it have to be Trav, or will any space opera game do?
2) Does you enjoyment hinge around the presence of an Aslan in the group (I have Traveller pregens and could run it in short order, but my pregens don't currently include an aslan.)

Xer0

First Post
My preference will still be SC 2.0. If you do SotC, you'd probably have a better chance of getting things done if you do the chargen ahead of time and then get right into the game on the 15. I just remember how in Tom's game last time, I had a blast with the chargen, but it did eat up an awful lot of time.

Traveler has my interest too, again, if you don't mind a player who doesn't know the rules, I'd be in. I loves me some space opera.

Psion

Adventurer
Xer0 said:
My preference will still be SC 2.0. If you do SotC, you'd probably have a better chance of getting things done if you do the chargen ahead of time and then get right into the game on the 15. I just remember how in Tom's game last time, I had a blast with the chargen, but it did eat up an awful lot of time.

Yep. That was a learning experience for me, too. If I run SotC, I'll give participants the chance to make characters online ahead of time, otherwise I'll handle the characters.

Traveler has my interest too, again, if you don't mind a player who doesn't know the rules, I'd be in. I loves me some space opera.

Cool.

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
Yep. That was a learning experience for me, too. If I run SotC, I'll give participants the chance to make characters online ahead of time, otherwise I'll handle the characters.

Cool.
I'd be down with SotC. :D

No interest in Traveller, for what it's worth. I, too, loves me some space opera, but not a huge fan of Traveller.

Last edited:

Remove ads