• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD monsters in the new statblock format

rowport

First Post
Winter Wolf

Wassap the Winter Wolf CR5
Male winter wolf
NE Large magical beast (cold)
Init +5; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Listen +6, Spot +6
Languages Common, Giant

AC 15, touch 10, flatfooted 14
(-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 51 (6 HD)
Immune cold
Weakness fire vulnerability
Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3

Spd 50 ft. (10 squares)
Melee bite +9 (1d8+6 plus 1d6 cold/20/x2)
Base Atk +6; Grp +14
Atk Options breath weapon, freezing bite, trip
Combat Gear none

Abilities Str 18, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 10
SQ scent
Feats Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track
Skills Hide -1 (+6 in snow and ice), Listen +6, Move Silently +7, Spot +6, Survival +1
Possessions none

Breath Weapon (Su): 15-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 4d6 cold, Reflex DC 16 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Freezing Bite (Su): A winter wolf deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage every time it bites an opponent, as if its bite were a frost weapon.

Trip (Ex): A winter wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+8 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the winter wolf.

Description:
A winter wolf grows about 8 feet long and stands about 4-1/2 feet at the shoulder. It weighs about 450 pounds. Winter wolves typically hunt in packs. Their size, cunning, and formidable breath weapon allow them to hunt and kill creatures much larger than themselves. A pack usually circles an opponent, each wolf attacking in turn to exhaust it. If they’re in a hurry, white wolves try to pin their foes.

Gothenem

Explorer
Dalamar, you have inspired me. Now I am doing a new statblock format for the 3.5 monsters on the Creature Catalogue site. Only the "Converted Monsters" section though :p

Dalamar

Adventurer
Okay, after a while with no word, I've now added creatures from the SRD under I, K and O.

Not sure what I'm going to tackle next.

XCorvis

First Post
Dalamar, have you considered setting up a wiki to do this? Many hands make light work. All this info is already in the SRD so I don't think there would be any legal problems. You can get a free hosted wiki from several places, including http://www.wikia.com .

Dalamar

Adventurer
Well, I hadn't considered it before, but now I have. And while I like the idea in general, there's that small part of me wanting to do everything myself. I guess part of it is the fact that I'm making some quite peculiar choices in ability placement (I list abilities that significantly afffect the way the creature looks under Aura, for example, even though under standard procedure it would be a Special Quality).

Or, to put it another way, if a wiki is set up, I'd still convert all the creatures for myself on my own. So setting up a wiki myself wouldn't ease the workload for myself, even if it might speed up the completion of one collection of the SRD in the new statblock format. I would, of course, contribute my versions to such a wiki.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I didn't take on SMV, but I think E will be of some comfort to the summoners, as it includes the Elementals (there's a lot of 'em there, 24 total).

Dalamar

Adventurer
No updatey goodness, just wondering if anybody else had noticed that the Derro don't apparently have a language, making them unable to communicate even with telepathy?

Garnfellow

Explorer
Dalamar said:
No updatey goodness, just wondering if anybody else had noticed that the Derro don't apparently have a language, making them unable to communicate even with telepathy?

This is one of the weirder things in the 3.5 update -- in 3.0, derro were humanoids, a subrace of dwarf and as such spoke Dwarven and Undercommon. 3.5 severed their ties to dwarvendom, but didn't do anything about languages.

I believe the derro statblocks in Dungeon gives them Undercommon, which is logical given their environment.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i think that's a carryover from 2E. 2nd edition made the derro a subrace of dwarves, which is something that i don't think they were in 1E.

Remove ads