• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD too confusing?

tuxedoraptor

First Post
I really want to enjoy this system, but this seems a bit too convoluted and unstructured for my tastes, the main gripe I have is that the skills are unset and the entire thing uses the D6 instead of using the D20 system, something I feel would of been smarter to use, as well as solidified skills and spells. The progression system is a mess and the attributes manage to confuse even my veteran players, who have played pathfinder and enjoyed that, so that shows me a red flag as they normally get the system down faster than I can. I genuinely want to enjoy this system, but it seems just plain messy, though I only am going by the SRD as it is unfeasable for me to buy the books at the moment

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are plenty of excellent d20 system games. This is not one of them, however.

The SRD is a tool for developers to design their own content. It's basically a set of reference notes; it contains very little explanation of rules, and without the books I imagine it's near impossible to figure out how to generate a character. You really need to know how the system works from the books to make sense of the SRD. It doesn't even tell you how to make an attribute check, as I recall.

In short: the SRD doesn't tell you how to play. No wonder you're confused! :)

Last edited:

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Then this is a system I cannot and will not ever consider purchasing, I would not feel comfortable dropping a penny on a system I cannot playtest and experiment with, let alone buying the books. That is what got me into pathfinder, being able to run the game without a single purchase, I do not enjoy dropping money on anything without extensive research and testing

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps the free starter kit on the official website would be more to your liking? Unlike the SRD, it is designed to introduce you to the basic rules. There's a link to it on this page:

http://www.woinrpg.com/buy/

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It should also be noted that [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] is the creator of the WOIN system, so anything you want to know about it, you could likely ask him. :)

Celebrim

Legend
the main gripe I have is that the skills are unset and the entire thing uses the D6 instead of using the D20 system

If I had to guess, you have limited experience outside of the D20 system. It's good to branch out. Different fortune systems bring different strengths and weaknesses, and allow for different sorts of genera emulation and styles. WEG's D6 Star Wars is a very solid system for example, that I think does Star Wars better than other attempts and certainly better than the D20 version. Chill 2e is an excellent system. BRP/Call of Cthulhu is an excellent system. The Apocalypse Engine isn't exactly my cup of tea, but its got some very elegant ideas in it. There is more than D20 out there, and its worth gaining some familiarity with the possibilities.

I would not consider N.E.W. to be a replacement system for D20 Modern/Future. Rather, I'd go with N.E.W. as a replacement system for GURPS or FATE. Right now, based on what I've seen of N.E.W., I'd probably choose it over GURPS or FATE for any game where I might have otherwise chosen those systems. And if you are familiar with either system, and I'm guessing you aren't, then you'd probably be comfortable with this rules set.

something I feel would of been smarter to use, as well as solidified skills and spells.

Ok, so that's just totally unfair. Either stick with what you know, or branch out and learn. There is nothing reasonable about branching out from what you are familiar with and then protesting that something is different and unfamiliar as if those were problems in and of themselves.

who have played pathfinder and enjoyed that, so that shows me a red flag as they normally get the system down faster than I can.

Seriously, Pathfinder is straight up 3.5e D&D with only the most minor rules. It's probably easier to pick up that it would be to go into most house ruled tables. Again, it sounds like you and your players have very limited experience with the real diversity of game systems out there.

though I only am going by the SRD as it is unfeasable for me to buy the ooks at the moment

It's unreasonable to try to learn how to play a game through an SRD. And SRD is a reference. It would be like trying to learn to speak French with only a dictionary. Of course you can't do that. Fortunately, I think Morrus has an entirely reasonable solution. Check out the 40 page starter kit and play the short adventure. It probably won't be nearly as comfortable for you as D20 since it sounds like you are really familiar with D20. But even if it seems clunky at first, I think experience running and playing varied systems is good for you. Think of it like eating your broccoli or going to the gym. Even if it turns out to be something you don't like, it's going to be good for you. I would no long run a GURPS game, but I learned a tremendous amount from my time running GURPS and it still informs my D&D play and house rules. And hey, you might discover that this is actually pretty cool and does a few things that D20 might struggle with.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Apologies morrus, I never intended to offend you or insult your system, but literally our D&D group has a budget of two dollars and some cookies, so we kind of rarely have acess to anything outside of whatever I get my hands on for cheap or as a gift. If there ever was a complete book of the entire game compiled into one, I would grab that. If we wish to try a system out and nothing exists online, we tend to use scribd.com, they have scans of pretty much every book paizo/WotC/GW has published, some cost money though, but most are free.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If we wish to try a system out and nothing exists online, we tend to use scribd.com, they have scans of pretty much every book paizo/WotC/GW has published, some cost money though, but most are free.

They're also all pirated. Please never tell me if you pirate my work.

There are three hardcover compilations coming - one for each era (archaic, modern, future). The one for future (called NEW) should be here very soon as the final chapter is in layout. They'll be in PDF as well as hardcover.

Alternatively, there's the free starter kit I mentioned. With that, I think you'd know enough to be able to use the SRD to play (though the starter kit has pregenerated characters, so you'd still be at a bit of a loss for character creation). The starter kit is a very stripped down expression of the rules, but it sounds like that might be a good way for you to find your way into the system if you're only used to d20 games. Then you can gradually 'upgrade' to the full game.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Well, I actually didn't know they were pirated, I thought that they were fine, I did tell paizo about the site and they never shut it down, so I thought that it would be fine to use it. We are using the starter kit, but like I said, a book of the three hardcover compliations compiled into one book would be a massive seller for me, even if it was also a PDF. Do you accept cookies as payment? I can pay you in cookies! So far our setting is modern day earth,but with two extra dimension that want to take over earth. Our group managed to jury rig a character generation system using the SRD. We ended up with an elf sniper who thinks icecream sandwiches are a gift from the gods, a battlepsyche human who has lived his entire life in a lab and even trying to walk/move is difficult if he spends too much time sitting and a very confused solider who uses CHI

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, I actually didn't know they were pirated, I thought that they were fine, I did tell paizo about the site and they never shut it down, so I thought that it would be fine to use it.

Scribd is crammed full of pirated stuff (and it often sells it!) -- there's nothing legal on there from WotC, Paizo, or GW.

We are using the starter kit, but like I said, a book of the three hardcover compliations compiled into one book would be a massive seller for me, even if it was also a PDF.

A compilation of the three compilations? I'm afraid that's not planned - sorry! :)

Do you accept cookies as payment? I can pay you in cookies!

At least you have cookies! If it's any comfort, I work in the RPG industry for a living. That makes me poorer than you. One day I'll be able to afford a cookie if people buy my books. :)

So far our setting is modern day earth,but with two extra dimension that want to take over earth. Our group managed to jury rig a character generation system using the SRD. We ended up with an elf sniper who thinks icecream sandwiches are a gift from the gods, a battlepsyche human who has lived his entire life in a lab and even trying to walk/move is difficult if he spends too much time sitting and a very confused solider who uses CHI

Sounds awesome!

Remove ads