SRD Wiki?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I've seen easier wiki implementations. Don't mind the colours so much but the navigation and interface are really hard to manage. I couldn't really figure out how to get anywhere.

Still, it's a great idea and if you can get enough people contributing you'll have a winner.

ladyofdragons

First Post
barsoomcore said:
I've seen easier wiki implementations. Don't mind the colours so much but the navigation and interface are really hard to manage. I couldn't really figure out how to get anywhere.

Still, it's a great idea and if you can get enough people contributing you'll have a winner.

Hmm. I'll put that to a general comment about my website, since the wiki is just implemented in the same shell as the rest of the site. I think it's time to revisit my navigation & menus!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Are you using an off-the-shelf wiki or are you developing your own? I found MediaWiki the easiest to use of the free ones I investigated for my company, and would recommend its interface.

ladyofdragons

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Are you using an off-the-shelf wiki or are you developing your own? I found MediaWiki the easiest to use of the free ones I investigated for my company, and would recommend its interface.

Well, my site as a whole (except for the forums) is developed in the Xaraya CMS. I tried a few nice wikis, but I had no desire to add in all the registration and stuff, because I already have a user system and generally people hate registering twice. I also wanted something that would fit completely into the rest of the site. So, I found the Wakka wiki, and I pulled out it's guts and am fitting it piece by piece into the Xaraya framework. In other words, the wakka guys did most of the work already, it's just that I have to enable various functionality a piece at a time.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
If we are only, ever, talking about the original SRD, then why would a wiki be worth the effort? Now, if we are talking about ALL the material that is now open (adding it a piece at a time), from all the publishers, then that would be truely interesting.

JimAde

First Post
That's what I said initially, but having it hyperlinked is nice. There are a couple of nicely hyperlinked SRDs already, but a wiki would have a better chance of staying updated since errata and new SRD material could be added by anybody instead of one or two people having to do all the maintenance.

But of course I'd love it if it included all kinds of OGC and not just the SRD.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
ladyofdragons said:
Well, my site as a whole (except for the forums) is developed in the Xaraya CMS.
Ah.

I'm not familiar with Xaraya, but I AM familiar with the fact that every CMS system in the world was apparently developed by tequila-maddened baboons. So I'm not surprised you're having trouble getting it all to play nicely.

The IDEA of CMS's is nice. I have yet to see one that actually works.

Good luck!

Remove ads