ST: From 007 to ... NCC-1701???

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
He was not involved with the day to day running of the show and with the scripts as he had in first and second show. he was busy developing a new series.

I have no clue about what you are talking about when you say he sabotaged the show can you please explain what you mean.
Most of third season's episodes sucks, with "Spock's Brain" leading the pack. Maybe he wasn't involved to correct some of the stupidities that aired but Roddenberry is pretty much fed up with NBC's suits.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vigilance said:
Well there are rumors that Pike and April will be in the movie. I think Abrams has confirmed the story will be about a young Kirk and Spock (not necessarily at the academy) but won't be a reboot.
Hmm. Daniel Craig as Captain Pike? It could work.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Most of third season's episodes sucks, with "Spock's Brain" leading the pack. Maybe he wasn't involved to correct some of the stupidities that aired but Roddenberry is pretty much fed up with NBC's suits.

From what I understand Gene was fed up with NBC and the fact that he had often daily fights with them over scripts, costumes, belly buttons you name it. I think he was a little burned out and the day to day running of the show the apporval of the scripts was something he was not doing.

A lot of the creative staff who were involved in the first two seasons had left.

So that is why you see such a drop of quality stories.

Vigilance

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Hmm. Daniel Craig as Captain Pike? It could work.

That would rock.

To Elf Witch: I think they ARE going to do TOS stories with new actors and NOT restarting the universe.

Abrams has stated many times the movie will adhere to established continuity, be for Trekkies and non-trekkies alike (fellow producer Damon Lindeloff went so far as to say "for my mother in New Jersey" in a recent interview) and will focus on character and drama.

I don't think using different actors makes for a reboot. I mean, even during the 5 year mission, Id guess we've seen a year's worth of stories. And of course there's the semi-canon "Phase II" that comprised a second 5 year mission between between TOS and the original movies.

So with the movie not being a reboot and including Shatner playing the older kirk... it just doesn't seem like there's much to offend the "old farts", which is why I'm not offended ;)

Chuck

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Elf Witch said:
From what I understand Gene was fed up with NBC and the fact that he had often daily fights with them over scripts, costumes, belly buttons you name it. I think he was a little burned out and the day to day running of the show the approval of the scripts was something he was not doing.
That was part of it, but the main reason was that he was producing a motion picture that year, a High School sex comedy that was probably a decade ahead of its time. It bombed at the box office, so he chose to not emphasize that fact.

Elf Witch

First Post
Vigilance said:
That would rock.

To Elf Witch: I think they ARE going to do TOS stories with new actors and NOT restarting the universe.

Abrams has stated many times the movie will adhere to established continuity, be for Trekkies and non-trekkies alike (fellow producer Damon Lindeloff went so far as to say "for my mother in New Jersey" in a recent interview) and will focus on character and drama.

I don't think using different actors makes for a reboot. I mean, even during the 5 year mission, Id guess we've seen a year's worth of stories. And of course there's the semi-canon "Phase II" that comprised a second 5 year mission between between TOS and the original movies.

So with the movie not being a reboot and including Shatner playing the older kirk... it just doesn't seem like there's much to offend the "old farts", which is why I'm not offended ;)

Chuck

I was talking with one of my best friends today. We met 30 years ago at a Trek con and a life long friendship came out of it.

We talked about why we are both so bummed about this project. For her she feels that another important part of her life is being conscripted by people who were most likely not even around or old enough to be involved during TOS day.

She was very involved with running cons in the 70s and ran several Trek clubs. She was personal friends with Jimmy Doohan. Trek in the 70s was a major part of her life.

She also was also a big Battlestar Galactica fan and was heavily involved in several actors fan clubs and enjoys a personal relentionship with several. She was involved in trying to help raise the money for Richard Hatch's short preview shoot for his idea of a continuation of the show. She like a lot of the TOSBSG fans put time in trying to get the studio to see that BSG was still a viable project and finally it looked like we might get it , then 9/11 happaned and the project got delayed amd then Moore got his hands on it and we ended with what we have now.

It not so much that the show is so different that what we wanted, Its all the crap that went down before the show even aired you had one of the actor's telling the old fans "don't bother watching the new show" Moore didn't even bother to talk to any of the actors who were involved with the old show. Over the years the actors had been on a ride that yes we are doing it with you guys to no we are not ( Singer at first) to a change of heart from Singer because of fan pressue then to not only are you not wanted for the new project but we want to do another show entirely. Fans in the know knew all this before the miniseries ever showed.

A lot of them had been involved in BSG for 26 years at this point and felt a great bitterness. We already knew that most of us now fell out of the demographic of what the studios want for their viewers and our opinions and taste don't matter at all anymore. But then you has the new fans of the show just rubbed salt into the wounds.

They were dismissive and scornful of the older fans and the older show. On BSG forums it was like a warzone. You had to hear crap like the old show sucked, it was cheesy ,the actors couldn't act. It split the fandom up. Several long running boards kicked off any discussion of the new show. And it was impossible to go onto some of the forums for the new show and say you were an old fan but also liked the new show, but there were something you liked better on the show and some that you liked better on the new show. If you just mentioned the old show your opinion was labeled as being a troll.

The worse offenders of this were mostly young people who had not been born or old enough to have watched the show the show when it was first on or they were kids who remember running around in the playyard yelling "by my command".

At a con in California some of the new actors were at an autograph table next to some of the old actors. My friend was there helping run that table. There were sercal fans enough to have made the day unpleasant who felt the need to speak loudly telling the new actors how wonderful they were and how great the show was and how they were not fans of the awful cheesy 70s show. It was uncomfertable for the new actors and the old actors.

These young fans didn;t seem to grasp the simple concept that if it had not been for the cheesy old 70s show and the fans who kept it alive they would not have the show they loved today.

So for my friend she is afraid that this will happen in Trek fandom.

Because there is no way that TOS will look as good as ahow made today. Because we live in a different time the storied will be better and the original will be labeled cheesy. Some young Trek fans already do this.

We both remember the tension with some of the fans of Next Gen back in the early days. It smoothed out after awhile mainly beacuse you had the tOS movies being made at the same time and there was no internet to spread the flames. In the end it became we are all Trek fans.

In my long winded way I guess what I am saying is that for some of us who are more than just fans who watch the show but have parts of our life heavily involved in the actual fandom of the show feel a lot of unease over this. We don't want to see Trek fandom split like BSG fandom.

Elf Witch

First Post
Silver Moon said:
That was part of it, but the main reason was that he was producing a motion picture that year, a High School sex comedy that was probably a decade ahead of its time. It bombed at the box office, so he chose to not emphasize that fact.

That to. :) A lot of his ideas were a head of their time.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
So for my friend she is afraid that this will happen in Trek fandom.
Dudette, it already have happened.

I have already met with fans who are anti-TOS. Some of them happened to like VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE (I can only agree with the fourth and last season of that series).

As much as you want to retain the traditional integrity of the franchise, it won't work on the younger generations. They need to be retold in a way that would interest them.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DonTadow said:
I"ve always wanted to see another ship, I'd suspect that if the enterprise d/e was the flag ship, but a family ship, they'd have had to have a "war" flag ship too. Even a 23rd century new crew would be cool.

I recently read David Gerrold's Blood and Fire, which was originally intended as a Trek script that never happened; instead, he rewrote it as a Star Wolf novel.

In the afterword, he talks about the long-suffering plans for a Star Wolf TV series.

In the pilot episode, we would begin aboard the Endeavour, the 'Big E', the flagship and pride of the fleet. Everything clean and shiny and modern, the crew in perfectly pressed uniforms with glossy boots, etc, etc.

The 'Big E' gets blown up in the first fifteen minutes, and then we're introduced to the actual star of the show... an old, grimy, outdated light cruiser, where half the systems don't work properly, and nobody's uniform is perfectly pressed... :D

The other part of the sketch he gives that appealed to me was that the main character is the first officer; we would get a new captain every three or four episodes, since they keep dying in a variety of exciting fashions... :)

-Hyp.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Dudette, it already have happened.

I have already met with fans who are anti-TOS. Some of them happened to like VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE (I can only agree with the fourth and last season of that series).

As much as you want to retain the traditional integrity of the franchise, it won't work on the younger generations. They need to be retold in a way that would interest them.

I know not all fans don't like all the shows. I for example don't like Next Gen or Enterprise (except for the last season as well). My friend who I was talking about does not like DS9. And though I came into Trek fandom through TOS and it will always have a soft spot in my heart DS9 is my favorite Trek.

But on the whole there is not so much negative anger direct over this in the fandom like there is in BSG fandom or like what is happening and happened in Stargate fandom.

And yes I know that they will change it to bring in the new fans all I can hope is that they won't be as rude and arrogant as some of the new BSG fans are.

Remove ads