ST: From 007 to ... NCC-1701???

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
What did you expect? We have already gone through the "Frontier Train to the Stars" routine.

TNG was supposed to represent the Renaissance, which is what Roddenberry laid down during the first season.

It's only AFTER he was replaced by Berman did they started to create conflicts for the "civilized" Federation.

For the record, Manny Coto is not responsible for the series finale episode. He got trumped by his former bosses.

You can have a renaissance and still not have such perfect people with no flaws *yawn* Wesley would have been a much better character if had been a smart kid trying to find a place to fit in instead of a genius who saved the ship and never had trouble fitting in.

One of the things I find interesting is the journey that characters make. To me I always felt that most of the next gen characters had already finished their journey and had nothing really new to learn about themslves.

And while I respect Gene he forgot an important rule for drama you need conflict. In romance stories the curtain usually falls after boy and girl get together because happily ever after may great for real life but it is boring to watch.

I am not saying that characters need to be as flawed as the frak up on BSG. One of the things I really liked on DS9 was the characters who were a little rough around rhe edges amd had personal things to overcome.

And I know Manny had nothing to do with the final episode.

Elf Witch

First Post
Seonaid said:
Exactly. I thought most of the male leads were above-average in looks as well. Nothing wrong with that, except when it's compensation for something else.

Yep. I really felt that Scott Backula was often so wooden and I know the man can act. I always felt that it was kind of sad that my favorite character was Porthos the dog. :\

DonTadow

First Post
I wished they would have really made the later movies more epic and combined some of the casts. I envisioned a trillogy to permanently take out the borg that envolved DS9, TNG and those left from Voyager. Each movie having a climatic ending that influenced the cast.

The problem with rehashing history is that we already know the outcome. Thats why I dont like prequels. YOu pretty much alreaedy know how this thing ends, so the story does not feel epic because it changes nothing.

Seeing some of the cool things TOS did in the movies, I can't really see how a new movie would top it. There's just no way of making this movie epic like wrath of khan or first contact.

Elf Witch

First Post
DonTadow said:
I wished they would have really made the later movies more epic and combined some of the casts. I envisioned a trillogy to permanently take out the borg that envolved DS9, TNG and those left from Voyager. Each movie having a climatic ending that influenced the cast.

The problem with rehashing history is that we already know the outcome. Thats why I dont like prequels. YOu pretty much alreaedy know how this thing ends, so the story does not feel epic because it changes nothing.

Seeing some of the cool things TOS did in the movies, I can't really see how a new movie would top it. There's just no way of making this movie epic like wrath of khan or first contact.

I would have enjoyed seeing something like this as well. They would not have had use the entire casts of all the shows.

Going after a big threat involving more than one ship so you could see Voyager, Defiant, Enterprise and maybe Riker's new ship the Titian. That would be a dream movie for this fan.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing a movie dealing with those parasite creatures that tried to take over Starfleet in Next Gen. Last we knew they were coming. I guess they got lost. :\

Ranger REG

Explorer
Elf Witch said:
I like Anne Rice had to eat crow over my belief that there was no way in hell that Tom Cruise would be able to pull of Lestat. maybe I will end up having to do that with this project as well.
Whoa...

If there is one thing that will stop me from watching JJ Abrams' Trek film, and that is if he cast his friend, Tom Cruise, in it. I don't care if it's a cameo, I don't want Tom's face or voice in it.

Sounds unreasonable and illogical, but that's why they're called quirks (in this case, it's MY quirk). No logical answer to it, I just cannot stand Tom Cruise anymore.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Seonaid said:
Actually, it probably wasn't ghost-written, as Shatner is a published novelist.
All of Shatner's Star Trek novels are co-written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. So, by "co-written" we mean "Shatner thinks up the plot, the Reeves-Stevens write the books".

The first one, The Ashes of Eden, takes place six months before Generations; The Return takes place directly after Generations. There's a direct sequel to the second book, Avenger.

They also wrote a trilogy following on to these books, about Mirror-Kirk (who is, like the original, somehow alive in the present) trying to conquer both universes - Spectre, Dark Victory, and Preserver.

There's another trilogy apparently set after the Dominion War - Captain's Peril, Captain's Blood, and Captain's Glory.

ShadowX

First Post
Short of that "Enterprise" pilot scene where the busty Jolene Blalock and the muscular Connor Trinneer rubbed oil all over their muscles whilst dressed only in their all too tight underwear

Sorry to hijack the thread. Is this really how the series starts? If so, maybe I should finally satiate my curiousity for the show...

Ranger REG

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
All of Shatner's Star Trek novels are co-written by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens.
They also helped Manny Coto on the fourth season of Enterprise ... after their Lost World syndicated TV series silently cancelled.

Elf Witch

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Whoa...

If there is one thing that will stop me from watching JJ Abrams' Trek film, and that is if he cast his friend, Tom Cruise, in it. I don't care if it's a cameo, I don't want Tom's face or voice in it.

Sounds unreasonable and illogical, but that's why they're called quirks (in this case, it's MY quirk). No logical answer to it, I just cannot stand Tom Cruise anymore.

I can understand quirks I am that way over Jim Carrey I just can't stomach watching him in anything.

Ranger REG said:
They also helped Manny Coto on the fourth season of Enterprise ... after their Lost World syndicated TV series silently cancelled.
I think they are the same authors that wrote the Making of Deep Space Nine book, I book I heartily recommend to any Star Trek fan. It helped me see DS9 in an entirely new light at a time I wasn't too fond of it. Today, it's my favourite trek show, which includes the first few seasons (which were the only one addressed in the book) before the big Dominion war started. :)

My impression is not only that they are good authors, they also love Star trek strongly - and understand it, too.

Remove ads