• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

STA and Lower Decks?

Reynard

Legend
I like the core book for Star Trek Adventures by Modiphius. I like the 2d20 system broadly, and think it was a surprisingly good fit for Star Trek. That said, I haven't been following the line closely and frankly don't own any books beyond the core book.

So my question is: is there anything in the STA line that supports a Lower Decks inspired campaign? That is, adventures focusing on Ensign and other non-Command Crew characters? Do the branch books expand on lower rank play at all? Are there adventures aimed at lower ranks? Hell, is there a Lower Decks source book?

Thanks.

aramis erak

Legend
There isn't much advice on low-rank character focused play, but there's literally nothing in the game that needs to change to do such a campaign.

Reynard

Legend
There isn't much advice on low-rank character focused play, but there's literally nothing in the game that needs to change to do such a campaign.
It's been a while since I looked at the core book: is there a clear line at what Ensigns are capable of (skill point wise or whatever) compared to bridge officers?

Relatedly, do the different division books offer any info that would be useful for building adventures around what "lower decks" characters should be doing?

aramis erak

Legend
It's been a while since I looked at the core book: is there a clear line at what Ensigns are capable of (skill point wise or whatever) compared to bridge officers?
It makes ZERO distinction; it rejects differential ability by rank. In other words, the only difference rank makes is the presence or absence of either Untapped Potential or Veteran talents. Total attribute points, total discipline points are unchanged for rank.

Relatedly, do the different division books offer any info that would be useful for building adventures around what "lower decks" characters should be doing?
Not a lot; the default assumption is department heads or their seconds.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
The core book offers some guidance on running lower-ranked characters. The Player's Guide expands on that and offers more advice on running cadets. The core book experience gives you all the tools you need to run a junior officer campaign vs making everyone department heads.

Modiphius doesn't currently have the license to Lower Decks. Should that change, I'm confident we'd get products out for it asap.

Remove ads