• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking rules not logical

Amanchanamun

First Post
Rule says that one saving throw at the end of turn for fire ongoing 10.

Why not ongoing 15 fire ? Logically it has to be 15. If i burn my leg and arm at the same, Will i only bother with the damage on my leg since fire on it is bigger ? Ok for one saving throw, since its a matter of to extinguish or not.[/quote]

DracoSuave

First Post
Attempt to 'real'-ize it:

Second degree burns on first degree burns don't create third degree burns. They're just second degree burns.

Game-balance reason:

Because there are at-will abilities that give attacks ongoing damage and that would get out of hand very quickly if there wasn't a cap on it. Not for players mind you, but for monsters... well if ongoing stacked, that ongoing 5 at-will would create very dead PCs very fast.

Solodan

First Post
And the accounting nightmare would be ridiculous! Ok, so I have 15, you have 10, no wait, i saved one of them, so its only 10 for me and.... what about the cleric, did you get hit with one or two last round?

Way easier to think in binary Off/On than to worry about how much and all that.

Saves can get pretty redonkulous already - I've seen 4th level character have 3 or more effects on them already, saveing some, more getting put on. slows combat down to something not really in the spirit of the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads