• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stacking tome of understanding with periapt of wisdom & owls wis

Crothian

First Post
look at what the bonuse are called. IIRC the tome stacks with either of the others but not with itself, but the other two do not stack with each other but do with the tome. .

dcollins

Explorer
Like Crothian said:
- Tome of Understanding: "inherent bonus".
- Owl's Wisdom & Periapt of Wisdom: "enhancement bonus".
Pick one of each bonus type.

See descriptions of spell in PHB, items in DMG, or SRD. See standard stacking rules (only one of each type of bonus) in either PHB, DMG, or SRD.

The Tome of Understanding provides an Inherent bonus to Wisdom. An Inherent bonus is a permanent bonus.

The Periapt and the Owl's Wisdom spells both provide enhancement bonuses to Wisdom. This is, generally, a temporary bonus. They do not stack with each other. Thus, anyone who is wearing a +4 periapt or better will get no use from an Owl's Wisdom spell.

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
As a side note one of my players claimed an anti magic area such as the spell or a beholders cone would nullify all three of above he then went on to say that all three of above stack as does the same items/spells for the other attributes, int, cha etc
I said show me the info and he has yet to do so...being without books I thought I should check in with the rule forum, thanks

Thorncrest

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
The Tome of Understanding provides an Inherent bonus to Wisdom. An Inherent bonus is a permanent bonus.

The Periapt and the Owl's Wisdom spells both provide enhancement bonuses to Wisdom. This is, generally, a temporary bonus. They do not stack with each other. Thus, anyone who is wearing a +4 periapt or better will get no use from an Owl's Wisdom spell.

Eremite

Explorer
Sir ThornCrest said:
(snip) I said show me the info and he has yet to do so...being without books I thought I should check in with the rule forum, thanks

Thorncrest,

Your players seem to have you wrapped round their fingers. If you're going to DM you really must buy at least the core books so that you can properly prepare for your games otherwise you're going to keep being cowed and manipulated by your players who have obviously worked you out as a soft touch.

I would also again strongly recommend that, after you get the core books, you start a campaign at 1st level to give you a chance to learn things properly.

Remove ads