• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stag party rpg

Micp

First Post
Hey there. A friend of mine is getting married and as he is a great rpg fan we were planning to make him a stag party rpg. The basic storyline i was imagining as a lengthy chase scene jumping from location to location. as the theme i imagined jumping between movies. the overall story will be that his mother in law has kidnapped his wife to be, and that he must find her, but first he must complete some other objectives. I am planned to do it dice-less and system less, so it will be all based on talking, but i have a hard time coming up with appropriate challenges. it should hopefully be about 4-5 hours long with 2/3 gaming and 1/3 goofing around (alcohol will be involved).

i was thinking of the settings going like this:
LotR: he must get the ring to the jeweler to get it fitted to his gf
Indiana Jones: chase the nazis to get the diamond for the ring
V for Vendetta: Blow up mother-in-laws house
Starwars: fight with the mother in law (as she survived but is now in lifesupport system so she looks like vader). turns out vader is really his own mother who teamed up with the mother in law.
The matrix: the freeway chase, getting the keymaker so they can make it to the wedding in time

i'm probably adding more stuff to it like godfather, james bond and possibly american psycho, but the main thing is that i need to translate in-game challenges to real life challenges so that it's more than just a big movie. Any ideas?

Micp

First Post
Btw as i said i woud prefer it system less so there is no rules confusing, and we can reward improvisational skills, but if you have an idea for a system that could support this while being very simple i'd like to hear from you.

Numlock

First Post
You could also throw in some 'Hangover'. When he gets to a certain point in the story, you hand him a pre-printed piece of paper with a memory on it. This does mean he'll be chasing his own movements of the day before instead of chasing his mother-in-law directly, but I could see it work.

Did this myself once in a DnD game, and it led to a lot of hilarity

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
You could put a light system around this, something akin to Dread. It's kinda fun watching slightly drunk people play Jenga.

Rune

Once A Fool
Hey there. A friend of mine is getting married and as he is a great rpg fan we were planning to make him a stag party rpg. The basic storyline i was imagining as a lengthy chase scene jumping from location to location. as the theme i imagined jumping between movies. the overall story will be that his mother in law has kidnapped his wife to be, and that he must find her, but first he must complete some other objectives. I am planned to do it dice-less and system less, so it will be all based on talking, but i have a hard time coming up with appropriate challenges. it should hopefully be about 4-5 hours long with 2/3 gaming and 1/3 goofing around (alcohol will be involved).

i was thinking of the settings going like this:
LotR: he must get the ring to the jeweler to get it fitted to his gf
Indiana Jones: chase the nazis to get the diamond for the ring
V for Vendetta: Blow up mother-in-laws house
Starwars: fight with the mother in law (as she survived but is now in lifesupport system so she looks like vader). turns out vader is really his own mother who teamed up with the mother in law.
The matrix: the freeway chase, getting the keymaker so they can make it to the wedding in time

i'm probably adding more stuff to it like godfather, james bond and possibly american psycho, but the main thing is that i need to translate in-game challenges to real life challenges so that it's more than just a big movie. Any ideas?

Your plan sounds fun, but check this out!

Schmoe

Adventurer
Do NOT click that link.

I haven't inspected it, but it's a good policy to be suspicious of any link in a new poster's first post, especially a necro from 6 years ago.

Depending on the booze, you can always incorporate that into the rule system. But seeing how it's a stag party, maybe shoot for a deck of cards for the rules, combat, options of what to do, etc. (He is obviously the winner if he draws any of the heart cards ;)

aramis erak

Legend
While it's a bit late for the OP, Og Unearthed can easily fill a few hours with hilarious situations due to limited vocabulary. (Unlike the original, it's a streamlined story game, not an old-school XP-track one)

Remove ads