Stalker0's Acheron Power Recharge System (New Version 1.1!!)

Stalker0

Legend
-15 seems pretty harsh (or maybe it just bothers my sense of mathematical aesthetics). I would phrase this as: DC 20 for an Encounter power, DC 30 for a Daily power.

Being Harsh was the intent. The main goal of the system is to recharge encounter powers, as those tend to have a lesser impact than dailies do. I want players to be encouraged to recharge encounters, only recharging dailies if they build up a large number of recharge points.

The point of the 3 point gains an attack bonus rule is to allow for different styles of play. Some people will want to spend 3 points and roll 3 times. Mathematically this gives them a good chance to gain at least one point, and a decent chance of gaining 2. It is actually better overall to do this then to spend the 3 points. However, I put in a bonus for those who like consistency and would rather spend all 3 points at once.

To your question about healing word and the like....powers are always classified as encounter, at-will, or daily no matter how frequently they are actually used. Healing word is an encounter power, its in red after all!! Lay on hands is an at-will power, etc.

Interesting - I'd consider branching it into two styles: one random, one not. I'm not at all interested in adding a random system to my game, but I find this concept interesting otherwise.

Anyhow, things I'd probably want to change:
* resetting to 1 recharge with an extended rest - no need to have _another_ possible reason to encourage people to rest
* penalty for getting a daily - should just be a higher DC instead of a penalty
* aid another point transfer - no need to encourage people to alpha strike one individual instead of just having fun with their own abilities
* recharge action - while cinematic, feels too limiting. Something like a 'minor or move action on a turn in which you have used no encounter or daily powers or moved from your square' would at least cover my 'and you can do this while still having fun'

In general I think this system will encourage players to keep adventuring. Remember they get a recharge point after each encounter, so there's no net benefit to stopping and resting as far as recharge points go.

Aid Another - I don't see the problem with a character who wants to help his buddy. Teamwork is the name of the game in 4e after all.

Recharge Action - I really do not want to make the recharge action any more powerful than it already is, I'm still debating back and forth whether I want to take it out. But perhaps your on to something. Maybe if I said on a turn you use no powers, or something like that.

When using an action point, roll a d6, recharge an encounter power if the result is :5: :6:.
And I added a feat which allowed them to recharge an encounter on :4: :5:, and a daily on :6:.
Still not sure if it will be over- / underpowered, since I'm testing it for the first time on the game next tuesday.

This isn't a bad idea. The main difference is that in my system a player can build up recharge points for one encounter. In yours, the player has to recharge powers as they spend action points, which will be one every other fight. Still, the mechanic is smooth and there's no conflict with action points vs recharging powers. I would recommend toning down the feat though. I would take that feat in a heartbeat, with any character I'd play.

Last edited:

Garet Jax

Explorer
We're also using a houseruled action point system to recharge powers, among other things. IMO the core AP system is a bit too powerful and infrequent. We wanted something that you could use more frequently but didn't pack quite a much punch as an extra standard action per round.

Players start each session with 3 APs, ala spycraft.

1 AP is recharged after natural 20 attack rolls. When using an encounter or daily power, it recharges if you roll a natural 20. 1 AP also recharged after good roleplay or particularly heroic actions, per GM fiat.

How APs are spent:
1 AP - reroll any dice roll (attack or damage)
1 AP - recharge an encounter power
1 AP - make an extra move or minor action
2 AP - make an extra standard action
2 AP - recharge a daily power

So far it's working fine at heroic tier. Haven't playtested at paragon yet.

jbear

First Post
A recharge system seems to make multiclassing more attractive as well if you allow it to apply to its benefits as if they were encounter/daily powers, which is nice because multiclassing isnt overly attractive at the moment. But having a wizard/ranger that can recharge his quarry a couple of times would add a nice punch to his fairly low damage for example...

Obryn

Hero
Miscellaneous comment...

I don't know, it seems a little untidy when a base roll is always d20+5, with a target number of 20.

Why not a straight d20, target number 15, with a +5 per extra point? And then, of course, re-scaling the miscellaneous penalties like changing -15 to -10.

It's just aesthetics, I know. :)

-O

Stalker0

Legend
Miscellaneous comment...

I don't know, it seems a little untidy when a base roll is always d20+5, with a target number of 20.
-O

Actually that makes plenty of sense, I never really even thought about it that way. I've already made the changes, I do agree the presentation looks cleaner even if the math is exactly the same.

Obryn

Hero
Actually that makes plenty of sense, I never really even thought about it that way. I've already made the changes, I do agree the presentation looks cleaner even if the math is exactly the same.
Glad to help!

As an aside, although I don't know that I want to incorporate recharge mechanics into my 4e game yet, as a general rule I absolutely love anything that provides metagame rewards when players try cool, heroic things. I think your system would really ramp up the cinematic angle of combat, and that's awesome in my book.

-O

Stalker0

Legend
After some playtesting I have done an update to Acheron. In this version, the recharge points are a bit less random if you spend a lot of points at once. Further, I've added some more granularity to it. Check it out in the first post.

Here are some supplemental houserules you can use with Acheron. I find with the system its easy to tweak powers to put them more in line with their brothers.

Feat

Heart of the Hero [Heroic]
Prereq: Ability to use recharge points.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to one recharge roll that is made during a heroic moment.

Priest's Shield (changed from PHB)
As you attack with your weapon, you mutter a prayer that protects and strengths you and your allies.
Hit: 1[W]+strength damage, and you and one ally gain +1 power bonus to AC and a +2 power bonus to one recharge roll. Both effects last until the end of your next turn.

Sacred Circle (changed from PHB)
Effect: The burst creates a zone that, until the end of the encounter, gives you and allies within it a +1 power bonus to AC and a +2 power bonus to recharge rolls.

Rain of Steel (changed from PHB)
Effect:... During this stance, you take a -2 to recharge rolls.

Last edited:

Ouronos

Explorer
Word/PDF Printing

Greetings...

I think I like this Recharge System. The Encounter/Daily system did seem a little flawed, but I haven't gotten to play a whole lot to make my own evaluations.

I like it when a group can pre-empt my need of evaluation. :)

When are you going to make a Word/PDF version of the Recharge System, complete with updated power cards for the altered powers?

I look forward to it.

Until that time...

Remove ads