Stan! Talks "Life After Wizards (Again)"

Pretty sure I made it clear earlier in the thread that I support clauses that cover work directly related to your current employment. That is not what is at issue.

It isn't clear what the issue is, other than a general philosophical disagreement with how many IP focused companies protect their IP through employment agreements - then extrapolating that into some sort of societal issue.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I know in the Canadian government, there are clauses extremely similar to that with respect to IP. If you work in a given field, any invention you come up with (for example) that is related to the field in which you work is automatically the property of the government.

glenrm

First Post
It seems that the times when D&D has done the best were when they were the most open (i.e at the beginning and 3rd Edition). What you want is an eco-system that you are the center of as far as the pen and paper RPG industry goes. You want the game you play to feel like a community not a corporation, at least I do.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Pretty sure I made it clear earlier in the thread that I support clauses that cover work directly related to your current employment. That is not what is at issue.

Way late to the game with this reply, so apologies.

"directly related to your employment" may mean something to you that it does not mean to a business which has a vested interest in the time and money it's invested in your skills development and other things it can't keep when you leave.

If you're working for me at "creative rpg behemoth inc." I'm pretty sure you're leveraging contacts you earned while on the job and skills you developed or maintained while on the job to do whatever it is you're doing in the same space that isn't one of my products.

Now if you're making bicycles and I make games.. no issue. But if I make games and you make games; we're obviously in the same space. It doesn't matter if you're doing boardgames now and were one of my rpg guys if I also put out boardgames.

Remove ads