• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stan! Talks "Life After Wizards (Again)"

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip >
Basically, this is me saying I'm going to fly out to Redmond and buy Stan! a beer. How's Washington State in February? ;)

Ask Stan! about the weather when you set up the beer thing. (?) (I'm not in WA, so give more trust to other people's answers.)

The area around Seattle gets a strong marine influence, but it's the closest of the 48 contiguous US states to Alaska. As I understand it, winter high temperatures average above freezing, but ice events do happen. Winter winds can cause some storm damage, but the main discomforts are rain, snow, and ice. When Seattle ices up, people go outside to take pictures, partly to prove that it does happen there. (I've seen pictures.)

(Spokane, on the other hand, is a radically different story; and that's also "Washington State.")

Way back when Block Buster had the same clause, and two friends of mine were up for a management role that would make them sign it. We thought it was insane... But 15 years later neither published any work and one of them got a big raise out of that contract.

So today I would sign no problem.. And laugh at people who would not

BriarMonkey

First Post
Corporations have garbage clauses like that in their contracts, then wonder why there are such strong sentiments to restrict and remove many of the "rights" of corporations...

I do not think "always on the clock" is quite the same thing as "no separation between work and private endeavours" . If it were, logically speaking wherever you were would qualify as your workplace, and your employer could be held liable for anything that happened to you, anywhere, because you were always "at work" . That that is not how things work is, I think, sufficient to demonstrate a salary cannot be an adequate reason for an all-reaching relationship.

A salary is paid for your output time for creative works. If you have time to do other significant, similarly creative endeavors, then you could be devoting that time to doing a better job on salary projects.

This is really hard on people like Stan!. If you are a freelancer, it is hard to live without having multiple projects going - multiple streams of revenue that can balance out the feast or famine of projects. You can't just drop them.

Kaodi

Hero
A salary is paid for your output time for creative works. If you have time to do other significant, similarly creative endeavors, then you could be devoting that time to doing a better job on salary projects.

Three things:
1) Inspiration, one of the most most important parts of any creative endeavour, does not take very long. Sometimes even the "perspiration" does not take very long. See any song that was written in under an hour or improvised.
2) There is plenty of research that suggests that working all of the time is incredibly stupid. I have even read that you have only about six good hard thinking hours in you a day. And if you work more than you ought to, your overall productivity goes down. If someone really expects their employees to use 100% of their waking hours thinking up new ways for the company to make money, the Board should fire their ass because they are an incompetent manager of people.
3) What is the point of stifling peoples thinking for themselves? Do we really want to deprive society of a lot of great ideas because people do not ever dwell on their good ideas because their employer, not them, is going to get the benefit despite their job having nothing to do with what was created?

1) Inspiration, one of the most most important parts of any creative endeavour, does not take very long. Sometimes even the "perspiration" does not take very long. See any song that was written in under an hour or improvised.

Some creative work can be accomplished in a short amount of time - or not. How is this relevant?

2) There is plenty of research that suggests that working all of the time is incredibly stupid. I have even read that you have only about six good hard thinking hours in you a day. And if you work more than you ought to, your overall productivity goes down. If someone really expects their employees to use 100% of their waking hours thinking up new ways for the company to make money, the Board should fire their ass because they are an incompetent manager of people.

100% of waking hours is not the same as time that could reasonably be spent on work related projects.

3) What is the point of stifling peoples thinking for themselves? Do we really want to deprive society of a lot of great ideas because people do not ever dwell on their good ideas because their employer, not them, is going to get the benefit despite their job having nothing to do with what was created?

Leave alpha complex and pursue your dream as a freelancer, inventor, entrepreneur.

If your dream is similar to what your previous employer was doing, and, in a few weeks you manage to ship a product that clearly took years of development time, you might have some explaining to do if anyone bothers to ask.

Kaodi

Hero
If your dream is similar to what your previous employer was doing, and, in a few weeks you manage to ship a product that clearly took years of development time, you might have some explaining to do if anyone bothers to ask.

Pretty sure I made it clear earlier in the thread that I support clauses that cover work directly related to your current employment. That is not what is at issue.

Remove ads