Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Zardnaar

Legend
As someone who played 4th Ed until I concluded its place was on the garbage pile of history, I'd hazard a "cautious yes" to that question :)

Its basically the same stuff. If you're a fan of a franchise (whatever it is), drastic change can often be bad. Star Trek for example is a bit more cerebral than say Star Wars. The key to a clever take on it is somewhere in the middle where you capture new fans without alienating the old ones. Doesn't matter if its Trek, Star Wars, D&D, Batman or even Coca Cola.

CapnZapp

Legend
So hooray for the next edition of Star Trek?

(I don't dare think you suggest the Orville being the 5th edition of Star Trek? )

Hussar

Legend
Its basically the same stuff. If you're a fan of a franchise (whatever it is), drastic change can often be bad. Star Trek for example is a bit more cerebral than say Star Wars. The key to a clever take on it is somewhere in the middle where you capture new fans without alienating the old ones. Doesn't matter if its Trek, Star Wars, D&D, Batman or even Coca Cola.

That's your takeaway?

Mine is that in every fandom, there is a segment that is so toxic that they ruin anything they come in contact with by making sure than anything that doesn't appeal to them gets buried under unrelenting negativity and childish tantrums. This segment of fandom has climbed so far up its own ass that it is incapable of understanding that their tastes are not everyone's tastes and, well, even if they could recognize that fact, are so selfish and self absorbed that they simply don't care.

If it isn't tailored specifically to their tastes, then it's crap and must be unrelentingly attacked at every possible turn to make sure that all and sundry know just how much that segment of fandom is unhappy.

We see this with pretty much every fandom - Star Wars, Star Trek, D&D, whatever.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mine is that in every fandom, there is a segment that is so toxic that they ruin anything they come in contact with by making sure than anything that doesn't appeal to them gets buried under unrelenting negativity and childish tantrums. This segment of fandom has climbed so far up its own ass that it is incapable of understanding that their tastes are not everyone's tastes and, well, even if they could recognize that fact, are so selfish and self absorbed that they simply don't care.

If it isn't tailored specifically to their tastes, then it's crap and must be unrelentingly attacked at every possible turn to make sure that all and sundry know just how much that segment of fandom is unhappy.

We see this with pretty much every fandom - Star Wars, Star Trek, D&D, whatever.

Yup. It’s friggin tiresome.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's your takeaway?

I think those fans are a very small minority just very loud. Flip side of the coin though sometimes a revolt against a product seems to hit critical mass where the casuals agree with the hard core and then a franchise can often be in trouble.

Sadras

Legend
So hooray for the next edition of Star Trek?

(I don't dare think you suggest the Orville being the 5th edition of Star Trek? )

Well, the next edition of Star Trek will include Jean Luc Picard. :)

As for Discovery, I want to like it, but...I'm just not sold on the characters of Burnham and Tilly. It is a pity that Sonequa Martin-Green is almost type-cast playing characters with much angst having come from The Walking Dead which show was in the process of dying a really painful death during her time on it.

The above and some poor writing and sci-fu in Star Trek Discovery have decreased the entertainment value for me. Hoping they can turn it around, but given the substandard drivel so common these days coming out of Hollywood, I don't expect much improvement.

I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the first.

The premier was rocky. But Pike was amazing and it seemed to go out of its way to address complaints people had with the series: acknowledging the different uniforms, a focus on saving lives and morality, and giving the bridge crew names. It did suffer from over use of CGI. This show has a budget and really, really wants you to know. The asteroid race went on three times too long and the turpolift shot was hilariously bad. And the exploding cargo bay was over the top.
But, generally, it felt like the show was trying to say they listened to the fans and heard their complaints and concerns.

And that second episode was excellent. The Prime Directive and an away team. A bridge officer gets backstory and a purpose. A heroic move from Pike. People obeying orders they disagree with. All gold.

The third episode was okay. It really focused on the fallout of last season, which made it awkward to watch with my wife who skipped season one after the pilot. And who HATES the new look of the Klingons. This wasn't as bad. The new Klingon design works so very, very much more with hair. But the bald ones are still ridiculous and look like the malformed offspring of a Klingon and a Xenomorph.
This episode had its own problems with the crazy cameras. It felt like someone got a new crane or camera hoist and wanted to use it for every single transition. Ick.

The fourth episode... decent. Too much too fast to really get a feel for the scale of the problem. But the new engineer killed it every scene.
Given how many shock/twist deaths we had the first season, I did wonder if they were going to kill Saru.
d

Zardnaar

Legend
Kinda like Sari, Like is good but I liked the old captain as a villain as well.

Overall it could be better here and there but generally like it. Did not see Enterprise or Voyager so the last Trek I watched was Nemesis and early DS9.

Remove ads