Star Trek is full of extremist one trick pony races

Janx

Hero
Yeah if our RPG sessions would have episodes like Voyager, my players would groan.

I thought Neelix was doing the mailman service just as part of his morale officer job, not because he had to.

I think Danny covered your first point pretty well. RPGs generally do the same racial extremism/stereotyping.

If nothing else, it's a shorthand for differentiating the races and from a roleplaying perspective, gives you a basic acting hook to protray the character.

On the latter, referring to my observation of ST's poor use of technology. I do suspect there was a morale factor to manually handing out the messages. But the show repeatedly fails to clue into the idea that DataPadds should be in constant networked contact with each other and with the ship's computer (the server). You should not need to manually walk your DataPadd over to the captain to give him your report. You should submit it to his email account, and he'll see it as a notification on his own DataPadd or at the nearest Console he is working at (after all, the ship KNOWS where you are at all times).

The tech observation was less on fancy graphics they could have shown us, merely this simple concept of accessing data from anywhere was not rocket science and was feasible in 1995 when the show started.

To me, a lot of the Tech-That-Came-True of Star Trek was that which was casually displayed and used, without a lot of explanation, and seemed obvious as an idea to the viewer. The touch screens and DataPadds in general, transporters, TriCorders are such devices.

Seeing the DataPadds get walked around was where it sunk back to old-tech thinking with Ensigns in miniskirts getting signatures on giant clipboards. It smacks of businesses today that adopt new technology but utilize it in the old process, rather than to its more direct functionality.

Janx

Hero
Well, my understanding is that Trek has always had a solid set of younger viewers. They may "agree" with Trek in a general sense, but many of the individual topics may not have crossed their minds in the past. Or, the ideas are muddled in with the rest of life, and Trek's treatment, while oversimplified, may give clarity. And reinforcement of an idea, helping to build that idea into a culture, requires repetition even to the nominally agreeable.

That was one of the reasons I saw as value for the show as well. There's an army of nerds out there who learned about honor, truth, courage, and treatment of others from Star Trek. I suspect there's worse sources to learn about right and wrong from.

A racist's kid watching Star Trek just might develop a different viewpoint than his parent. And that might be all the difference.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
LOL Well I don't allow those stereotypes in my games at all, with the exception if the setting demands that some races were created by evil gods (but even then they can change).

I know- few campaigns I've seen since 1990 have featured one-trick pony races- but I had to gig ya there!

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
We still don't have sick bay sensor beds, but someone or other has been working on them almost since the day they were first shown. Any day now! :D

MarkB

Legend
We still don't have sick bay sensor beds, but someone or other has been working on them almost since the day they were first shown. Any day now! :D

We may not build the instruments into beds, but we're pretty much covered in terms of general medical sensors - people in intensive care often have an array of bedside read-outs that would put Trek's half-dozen dials to shame.

The really useful breakthrough would be if we could compact down the functionality of a full-scale CAT / MRI / Ultrasound scanner into a hand-held medical tricorder.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing" - labelled on pipes in the Jeffries tube on the original USS Enterprise.

I believe they carried that over into similar structures on Next Gen...

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
In Star Trek's defense, DS9 had a very different take on humanlike alien races and spent seven years painting nuanced pictures of several of them. A lot of things have changed since the 60's, but the rest of Trek is still very retro, for better or for worse.

Mallus

Legend
In Star Trek's defense, DS9 had a very different take on humanlike alien races and spent seven years painting nuanced pictures of several of them.
I'd say that's the direct result of having the show set on an unmovable space station, in addition to having Trek's first multi-year story arc.

Remove ads