Star Wars: Chasing the Stars! (Updated: 6/30/05)

Hello, all. This is a two-player Star Wars d20 game set in the Old Republic, about 200 years after the close of the Sith Wars. (That is, about 5000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin in the movies.) The game is played roughly once a week over the phone, unless life intervenes (as it often does).

In this time period, the Jedi "Order" isn't very orderly; there is no standing Jedi Council, just periodic consultation between Jedi Masters, who recruit and train their own Padawan apprentices however they see fit. Many other Force-using traditions are in flux during this time; the Sith Wars destroyed a lot of people's innocence about the uses of the Force.

Please note that my own familiarity with the Star Wars universe is almost entirely from the movies and a little bit of the SW d20 books. I am not familiar with the Expanded Universe, and (aside from playing KOTOR 1 and 2) neither is the other player (my brother). The GM has therefore felt free to steal interesting characters from various Star Wars novels and use them in the campaign, even though strictly speaking they belong to a much later time. (You'll hear about one of them in the very first session: Pluvo Two-for-one, who owns part of the mortgage on the group's ship.) I hope this doesn't jar the reader too much.

Some of you may know me as the writer of another Story Hour, The Shadow Knows! and as the creator of The World of Terrima. If not, feel free to go look!

The GM goes by SuentisPo online, so I usually refer to him as SP. My brother (the other player) often goes by "DudeRose", so I will call him DR. Now without further ado:

------------------------------------

Our Intrepid Heroes

Jonas fingered the pendant of polished intarzi-wood that he always wore about his neck as he scoped the nearby star. "It's Yitak system, right enough." Vanni snorted. "Can't you just trust my plotting for once?" But he chimed in with Jonas' inevitable words, "Better safe than sorry," good-naturedly enough.

Davik watched them impassively, hands folded over his robes in classic Jedi formality. "We are headed for the fourth planet." Jonas and Vanni exchanged a near-telepathic glance. Vanni had made some unkind comments about ramrods in the young man's regard, and even Jonas admitted he'd met NCO's less dour and taciturn. How different from his Master, Insharr! Advanced Jedi training must include special exercises to unbend.

"We hadn't forgotten," Jonas said cheerfully as he flipped switches that rerouted power to the Song's system drive. Vanni added mock-seriously, "Yitak IV, coming up. Home of darkest jungles and mysterious temples at the outermost rim of known space. All in a day's work for our intrepid heroes." His hands danced over the controls as he spoke.

"That seems unlikely," Davik observed. Vanni looked over his shoulder. "Hm?" "'Jungles', certainly. A temple, yes. 'Mysterious' is hoped for. 'Intrepid heroes' remains to be seen. I have not sensed any disturbances in the Force recently." Vanni flushed, but Jonas cut him off with a chuckle. "Why Padawan, I do believe that was an attempt at humor." Davik bowed precisely. "Your skills of observation do you credit." Yes, there was a smile threatening to form there. "I did not say it was a good attempt, but it's a start!" A faint shadow of annoyance crossed Davik's face before he smoothed it away. "As you say."

Jonas chuckled again to himself. These Jedi and their fear of emotion! Together, he and Vanni brought the Song into orbit, then darted into the atmosphere toward the proper coordinates. Jonas scoped the area out. "There's a rock outcropping that looks artificial. Probably your temple. There's no clearing large enough to land the ship nearby, though. Our best bet is about ten clicks away." "Could we not burn a suitable landing space with the drive?" Vanni smothered a laugh at Jonas' expression as he deliberately calmed down before replying, "In theory, yes. In practice, though, I won't do it. There's no reason to destroy perfectly good jungle when there's no need, and the walk won't kill us. I'd apologize, except, you see, I'm not sorry." Davik looked faintly puzzled at this reaction, but contented himself with an "Ah," in response.

Soon they had landed. Jonas unsealed the arms locker and expertly checked out his blast rifle before settling it comfortably into position. Vanni shook his head to himself, but didn't say anything as he grabbed his pistol and other weapons. "Let's go."

Jonas took point, leading them readily through the jungle. "Look at these trees - designed to bend with the wind. And the leaves are shaped to shed rain. I saw a number of big storms going on in the scope, too... I suspect we'll be glad of our rain gear before we leave." After an uneventful day's march, the vine-choked Jedi temple loomed before them. "Hard to tell after two hundred years of overgrowth, but the Sith don't seem to have done too much damage," Jonas noted. "That remains to be seen," Davik replied.

The entry area of the temple was huge - large enough to park the Starchaser's Song several times over, if it could have gotten in the doors. Vanni whistled in awe, and the echo came back clearly. "Please do not do that," Davik said, and Jonas nodded. "No telling what's in here after all this time." Vanni shot them both a disgusted look, but said nothing. They studied the three looming corridors leading further into the temple - one on either side, and one main one opposite the entrance.

Davik pointed to the corridor to their left. "Let's start there." He took the lead, and Jonas and Vanni spread out to either side of him, giving a clear field of fire.

They'd gone only a dozen meters or so when Jonas shivered. "I've got a bad feeling about this place, all of a sudden." Vanni snorted and said, "I've had a bad feeling about this job since Corellia!" but Davik nodded. "You sense it too? Someone is using the Force further within. The Dark Side, to be precise." He ignited his lightsabers, and their deep thrumming sound and its echoes filled the passage with a deadly harmony. "The Blight," Jonas muttered. "Shaper Ivek told me about it, but..." Vanni stared at them. "You mean there's still Sith in here after all these years?" He got two shrugs for a response, which clearly didn't comfort him.

Davik moved forward purposefully, but Jonas said, "Hold on, Padawan. Whatever it is probably knows we're here. Why march right on toward it? Are there likely to be any other entrances to the temple?" Davik considered. "It is likely, yes. There is merit in what you say."

They went back outside... only to be pelted by near-horizontal rain at what felt like lightspeed. "I'm a prophet, I am," Jonas said cheerfully. Vanni snorted and pulled his rain hood more tightly over his face. To Davik he said, "Jonas uses the 'Bright Side' of the Force, as you can see." That got an actual grin for a moment.

After a long and difficult slog in the rain, they found the other entrance at the back of the temple. Going in, they were soon rewarded by finding their opposite number's camp - a bedroll, tools, a small generator, a grav lift, and so forth. He (or perhaps she?) had been using a heavy-duty welding torch to cut through a set of blast doors. Beyond that pair of destroyed doors was a short corridor leading downward to another pair, as yet untouched. Searching, they found nothing of great value, though there was a locked box they decided to let be for the moment.

"There's a good deal of dust on the floor," Jonas noted. "I can make out tracks. I'll take point. Quietly, everyone!" He led them confidently through one of the corridors leading away from the anteroom. They marched on a while in silence, the tension growing as they passed several intersections. At one point Jonas abruptly came to halt and held a hand up to stop the others. "Our friend left a little surprise for us..."

The others came closer to see the laser "tripwire" crossing the corridor. Vanni shone his glowstick up the wall, then to the ceiling, where leads ran to what was evidently a large pack of explosives. "I HATE surprises," he said bitterly. Davik nodded sagely. "Carefully now..." Gingerly, they stepped over the laser beam, and Jonas led them on once more - a little more slowly and cautiously, this time.

Eventually they arrived in... The entrance chamber to the temple again, through the rightmost corridor. Jonas sighed. "Well, that was anticlimactic. And the floor here doesn't hold tracks at all well. We can go back and try one of the cross-corridors, or try one of the other main ones here." Davik considered for a time, or perhaps listened to the Force. "We know the Dark Side user came this way, and you saw no sign he doubled back? Then we should try one of the other main corridors. The middle one, I think." "You're the boss."

The corridor was just beginning to open up into a room, when a humanoid form in dark clothing rushed past a startled Jonas to close with Davik with a bladed weapon. Lightsabers ignited, the Jedi met the attack and pressed his own, filling the corridor with whirring noises and sparks. Meanwhile Jonas whirled and fired his blast rifle at point blank range, while Vanni sought a clear shot. Jonas hit, and shortly after Vanni did also, though the man dodged with preternatural speed and took little actual damage. Davik held his own and managed to graze the man with one of his sabers.

Then the dark figure began calling on the Force, an upwelling of darkness and chill that pierced the hearts of the three allies. Vanni cursed and fired again, scoring a solid hit; Davik's eyes narrowed and he pressed the attack with grim intensity... while Jonas fought down a wave of revulsion at the full revelation of the Blight. Protest welled up within him, the Lifeblood of the galaxy answering to his outraged will... and spreading outward in a wave of pure, blinding light that filled the corridor with momentary glory.

As Davik slashed and Vanni fired again (cursing as his blaster did not respond), the man's use of the Force somehow turned inward upon himself in the wake of that furious brilliance. He cried out and crumpled into a heap at Davik's feet, his blade going flying - hitting no-one, thankfully - and whining furiously against the stone floor.

Davik took in the situation with aplomb and restrained himself to noting, "Force Light is an uncommon gift even among Jedi," while Vanni stared at Jonas, ashen-faced. "I didn't know you could do that!" Jonas went over and turned off the vibroblade, clipping it to his own belt with satisfaction before admitting, "I didn't either, Vanni. You learn something new every day, I suppose." They turned to study their adversary.

He was human, with an unlined face, utterly nondescript save for his shock of dead white hair; he had nothing in the way of personal effects on him save for a ring of three keys. After binding him securely, Davik and Jonas worked together to heal the man with the Force. His wounds closed, but he did not awaken; he appeared to have sunk into a deep coma. "We will have to take him with us," Davik announced. "Master Insharr will want to see him." Jonas nodded and slung the man over one shoulder. "I certainly wouldn't have left him to starve, in any case." Vanni, for his part, just muttered something about being ready, willing, and eager.

"By the way, Vanni, why did your blaster misfire just now?" Jonas asked. The young man hesitated before admitting sheepishly, "It's out of juice. I forgot to charge it." Jonas delivered himself of a short lecture on the importance of maintaining one's equipment, which was received with an ill grace but no overt protest. Davik, for his part, wisely kept silent.

A careful search of the rest of the temple yielded nothing of interest. The three turned their attention to their enemy's camp. One of the keys opened the box, yielding various scattered lightsaber parts that intrigued Davik greatly. Another activated the grav lift. "The third probably opens his ship," Vanni pointed out. "But where is it?"

Davik pulled himself out of the contemplation of his find. "This suggests a useful division of labor. I will cut through the blast doors with my lightsabers, while Jonas looks for the ship; that lift does not have a very long useful range, so it should not be too far. Vanni, you can help me clear the rubble and keep an eye on our opponent in case he should wake. Does this sound reasonable?" Jonas and Vanni both allowed as how it did.

The rest of that day proved uneventful. Jonas' searching proved unfruitful; Davik cut several large chunks out of the doors, but not enough to crawl through safely; and Vanni complained about being bored. The second day proved more interesting. Davik cut through the last of the blast doors (Vanni moving the red-hot pieces out the way with the Force, a trick he'd picked up from Jonas)... only to find yet another set beyond.

Jonas, for his part, found the ship in a jungle clearing - a sleek small model, carrying at most two men. He inserted the key, and an artificial voice stated in Basic, "Awaiting password." Jonas blinked. "Password?" "Incorrect. Perimeter defenses are being activated." "Hold on, now! That won't be necessary!" (Meanwhile, the ship started humming as various systems came to life.) "Unauthorized users are to be terminated." Sure enough, a small turret atop the ship swiveled in his direction. Sweating, Jonas spun the (not very bright) machine a tale about being a port authority doing a routine check, and pointed out that gunning him down would get its master in a great deal of legal entanglement.

It bought it, or at any rate stood down, warning him not to attempt access again. Jonas, for his part, relieved that he didn't have to threaten to levy a fine, fled back to the temple. There he announced calmly to the others, "I couldn't get into the ship. It's password-protected." Face thereby saved, he listened to Vanni's complaints about boredom with more patience even than usual.

The third day they spent intensively on the blast doors, both Jonas and Vanni helping remove the cut-away pieces of metal. Though Jonas joked about the old Jedi having space-folding technology that let them set up an infinite line of blast doors in a small space, in fact there was a room beyond this set.

It appeared to have been a storage space, but it had been thoroughly trashed, and the pieces trashed after that. A very thorough search gathered together a set of mostly-untouched lightsaber parts that sent Davik into restrained raptures. (With this and the box upstairs, he had enough to build a couple lightsabers of his own, save for the power cells.)

There were also a number of more unusual items... a book with pages made of stamped metal written in a language none of the three men even recognized, much less were able to read. A crystal rod covered with glyphs apparently in the same language. An odd garment meant to go about the shoulders like a pectoral. A bladed weapon not unlike a punch dagger. Jonas and Davik recognized these last three as being somehow imbued with the Force, and Davik quickly claimed them all, and the book, in the name of the Jedi Order.

There was also a small set of personal effects - rings, other jewelry, and so on. Davik offered these to his comrades, but Jonas looked uncomfortable. "I don't like the idea of taking things from the dead." But Vanni noted practically, "They aren't using it any more!" and Davik for his part didn't seem to care. In the end, the pressure of Pluvo's payment deadlines forced Jonas' hand.

The next room down the corridor looked to have been the temple's archives. It had been, if anything, more severely trashed than the storage room. Memory crystals were scattered over the floor, many in pieces, and the readers were likewise vandalized. The three started gathering up undamaged memory chips when Vanni asked, "Um, Jonas?" "Yes, Vanni?" "This other stuff on the floor isn't what I think it is, is it?" Jonas came over to have a look at the little fragment and nodded soberly. "I'm afraid so. Bone with a bit of flesh still attached. Too, uh, small, to tell what species." They found many such fragments as they searched. A great many. There was no way to tell how many people they had belonged to, but at least several. Vanni gagged several times, and even Jonas, hardened to combat, had trouble keeping his composure. Davik dipped now and then into meditation.

Finally Vanni burst out, "What in the worlds DID this to them?!" As if in reply, a faint roaring came to their ears. "Oh, SURE!" Vanni groused. "Ask a stupid question..." Just then a towering sickly-green translucent figure manifested in the center of the room, lashing out at the three of them with writhing tentacles. The power of the Dark Side in its touch was overwhelming; the three were momentarily staggered.

But then Davik ignited his sabers and leaped to the attack. The thing howled at the touch of the blades' furious energy. Jonas and Vanni fired simultaneously; their bolts passed right through the thing, doing no apparent harm. Jonas dropped his rifle at once and drew his newly-acquired vibroblade.

The thing lashed out at them again, but they were somewhat inured to its touch this time, though it still hurt. Davik slashed at the thing in a whirling frenzy of light and sound, his face touched with calm at the eye of the storm. Jonas found that his vibroblade was as useless as his blaster rifle. Vanni drew upon the Force and fired again, seeming to actually hurt the thing somehow.

Jonas dropped the vibroblade in disgust and tried to find that calm center of light within himself again. He faltered at first, straining his mind, but then the light poured forth with abandon from his uplifted hands, flickering a few times before shining with steady incandescence, while Vanni kept shooting and Davik methodically slashed.

The thing keened like the damned and redoubled its attack. This time, Vanni cried out and went down. "Vanni!" Jonas shouted. His light flickered out at once and he rushed to the young man's side, heedless of the writhing tentacles barring the way. He knelt at Vanni's side, laying on hands to heal, but a snapping tentacle laid him low as well, falling over Vanni's motionless form.

Davik fought on, the thing howling in earsplitting clashing notes as his lightsabers claimed their due from its ghostly flesh. At length it guttered out like a candle with a final wail, leaving only a faint stench behind. The Padawan deactivated his sabers and stood tall, savoring the moment. Then he went and healed Jonas, who came around groaning and shaken. "What did that thing DO to me?!" "You have been touched by the Dark Side," Davik informed him. "You will recover." Together they then healed Vanni, who was likewise pale and shivering.

Jonas and Vanni both felt ill and exhausted, so the group retreated upstairs to the camp and bedded down for the night, Davik keeping watch. Unfortunately, neither of the two afflicted were able to sleep well, being plagued with nightmares. Jonas gave up in the wee hours and sat up to meditate. After several hours light flickered and flared from him once more, giving him a start on burning away the Dark Side influence from his system. But it took hours more, well into the day, before he felt able to sleep again.

The next morning he was good as new, though Vanni, never much of one for meditating upon the Force, still looked awful. Jonas insisted on giving him more time to recover, and Davik concurred. They spent the day in quiet pursuits while Vanni tossed, turned, and shivered... Thankfully, with the help of healing from the other two, he also was well when morning came.

The three entered the room beyond the archives with great caution, armed to the teeth. Almost disappointingly, it proved to be unoccupied and intact, shielding its treasures from the world. And treasures they were, though it wasn't clear what they forebode...

It was like the workshop of a mad wizard who'd taken up sculpting. There was a striking white statue of a human woman, her face peaceful and serene, hands folded over her chest. She was surrounded by something abstractly wispy enough that it was unclear whether it was intended to be mist, or a swirl of fine fabric, or something else entirely.

There was a large silvery globe, covered with the same glyphs they'd seen in the book and on the rod.

There was a four foot long rod of clear faceted crystal, held upright in an elegant stand.

Finally, there was a squat green abstract sculpture with a conical base that unfolded into sinuous, disturbing coils toward the top. It pulsed direly with the Dark Side of the Force, as distinctly opposed to the others which gave off more wholesome vibes.

Davik took everything in, then calmly announced, "We will use the grav lift to take these all to the ship." Jonas stated with firm finality, "No." Vanni nodded with emphatic agreement. Davik looked startled for a moment. "I beg your pardon?" Jonas pointed at the green sculpture. "I will NOT have that thing on my ship."

"Jonas, this is a major find." "My ship, my rule. And I say no. These others we will take. That thing stays here and hopefully rots. I'm tempted to smash it myself. Surely you notice it looks like that thing we fought?" "Yes... You need only carry it to Corellia, where Master Insharr will take it off your hands...?" "Which part of 'No' don't you understand, Padawan?" "Would you rather that our captive's associates come and claim it, to use it for who knows what dark purpose?"

Jonas clenched his jaw tightly as he thought that over. Finally he said, "All right, a compromise. We'll cache it - bury it a click or so away from the temple. Far enough that looters aren't likely to notice it. You Jedi can come back and get it later... Though if you take my advice, you'll melt it down to slag instead." Davik nodded, resigned. "Very well, I agree."

Suiting actions to words, they removed their finds to the ship, where they found that the sensors had recorded the liftoff of their captive's ship two days previous, which caused the three men no little consternation. They buried the green statue deep and made a note of the coordinates. Then they secured their captive (who still had not shown the slightest sign of waking), and lifted off from Yitak IV. Vanni plotted the course for Corellia with obvious relief. "So much for that!"

Jonas spent a couple pleasant days helping Davik catalogue the memory crystals they'd recovered, when finally he felt ready to broach a delicate subject, brought on by his ever-lurking balance with Pluvo Two-for-one. "Quite the trip we had, Padawan." "Indeed." "Rather more exciting than we were anticipating, in fact." "That is true." "Vanni and I certainly didn't expect to fight looters, much less that green Blight-thing." "Yes... what are you getting at?" "I'm thinking that we need to renegotiate our fee somewhat."

Davik became even more still and impassive than usual. "I am listening." "It's only fair to take hazard-pay and combat conditions into account..." "Yes. How much do you want?" Jonas frowned at the younger man's bluntness, but mulled the matter over. Expecting a good haggle, he named a number several times larger than what he anticipated getting: "What do you say to twenty thousand credits?"

Davik stated in reply, "I do not have that much money. You will have to take it up with Master Insharr." Jonas blinked slowly a few times at this bombshell of mercantile etiquette. "Ah... Yes. Of course. I will do that." Mentally he added a few hundred credits onto his asking price.

The voyage was otherwise uneventful. The Song dropped into sublight in Corellia system right on schedule. Jonas got up from the crystal reader he'd been using, stretched, and told Davik, "I'd best go up to the bridge and give Vanni a hand." But just then the young man came rushing in, looking upset. "Captain, there's something you'd better come look at right away!" Alarmed by Vanni's use of the formal title, Jonas rushed after him, Davik on his heels.

In the bridge, Vanni pointed out some highlighted text on a monitor. "We received the usual system news-squirt as we dropped back into realspace. The computer flagged something as, um, relevant." Jonas read in grim silence, then announced, "We - all three of us - are wanted for the murder of Jedi Master Insharr. Apparently we fled Corellia system just after doing the deed. We are considered armed and dangerous."

"I'd say our lives just got a great deal more interesting."

[I'll be putting up some background and descriptive information on Jonas and Vanni soon. Vanni's an NPC, by the way, though closely associated with Jonas (my character). Davik is played by DR.]

[We've had our second session this last Tuesday, and I hope to have it posted sometime this weekend.]

Last edited:

Background: Jonas and Vanni

[This is the material I sent to SP describing Jonas and Vanni, along with a few notes at the end.]

Jonas grew up on the hardscrabble colony world of Lorus in the Outer Rim. Farming was difficult there, and one of Jonas' uncles taught him to hunt to help supplement his little village's food stores. (His father had died in an accident while Jonas was a child.) The harsh life bound the people together into a tightly-knit community, a family of families; Jonas was happy there.

One day when he was fifteen, Jonas was returning from a successful hunt only to find hideous aliens poking about the smoking ruins of his village's houses. Numb with horror, he could only stay hidden in shock when the aliens looted his people's few possessions and herded a few survivors onto their ship, no doubt to be sold. Once they'd left, he wandered through the wreckage, numb, hardly even able to respond to the corpses of people he'd known all his life... including that of his mother.

After a time - he isn't really sure how long - he left, making a dangerous overland crossing to his world's sole spaceport. There he lied about his age to a mercenary recruiter and enlisted. He'd always been bright, and his practice with the village's antiquated computers, along with the practical first aid he'd learned, caught the eye of his squad leader. He got trained by the company's medic, and picked up many of the skills of a spacehand as well.

But while he quickly bonded with his mates, almost like a new family - and he was well-liked for the most part in return - Jonas remained a driven young man. He liked the art of healing, and the fact that it made him useful to his brothers in arms; but he especially enjoyed killing aliens of all stripes. (He'd learned that the ones who destroyed his village were Houk, but he was not too discriminating in his hatred.) The jobs the company got against non-humans positively put a smile on his face, which weirded out some of his fellows at times. He was too responsible to ignore his duties or disobey orders, but when he got the opportunity to shoot aliens, he took it with great relish. About the only time he was disciplined, in fact, was for talking back to an officer about being ordered to stay back from combat.

But disaster struck the company in the Ithor system. Outgunned by a surprise attack, the ship was badly damaged. Jonas got shoved into an escape pod by an older man, Taren, who'd taken him under his wing almost from the beginning. Jonas was 20 at the time.

His pod crashed on Ithor, in the midst of Mother Jungle. Jonas emerged into an alien world, with no idea of where to go.

His food quickly ran out, and he simply wandered, delirious, for days. Jonas does not talk much about this period in his life, except to quietly admit that the jungle "spoke to him". It was a profound, life-changing experience. (And it's a safe bet that he did a lot of reliving of those days in the wilderness after his village's destruction, coming to terms with it somewhat.)

When the Ithorians found him, he was raving and weak. They took him to one of their communities, where one of their priests, Ivek, healed him and tended him in his fever. Ivek also noticed that Jonas pulsed regularly in the Force, "in time with the breathing of Mother Jungle": A significant omen, and one unheard-of in non-Ithorians. (This strange "pulsing" invariably attracts the attention of other Force-users.)

Jonas' first real memory of this time is of the unearthly singing of the Ithorians, which he found oddly comforting. When he finally came to himself, the faces he saw were not "ugly" or "inhuman", but kindly and intriguing. His hatred of the non-human had been burnt out. (The Houk are still a sore spot with him. But he's transferred most of his outrage to people, of any species, who prey upon others.)

Slowly he learned the language of his benefactors (as best a man can who only has one mouth, anyway), and was overwhelmed when Ivek offered to teach him the ways of the Force - or rather, the "Lifeblood" as he called it. (Jonas shares Ivek's friendly distaste for the Jedi term "Force". The Dark Side, seldom spoken of, is called the "Blight".) He was inducted into Ivek's herd, and regards the elderly priest as something almost like a father. He rarely uses his original clan-name, Starchaser, for this reason.

Yet perhaps that name had something to it after all, for at length Jonas found himself desiring to return to the stars. His reasons were varied and difficult to articulate. He had done much evil, as he saw it, "out there", and he needed to restore a balance. He was tormented by memories of his family and friends on Lorus, some of whom (including his beloved younger brother, Sammel) he was sure he'd seen taken by the Houk. But... perhaps most of all, he had an inchoate feeling that he was needed out there, that there was something important for him to do. Ivek, after much meditation, agreed and sent him on his way with a blessing. Jonas' herd pitched together a grubstake for him, and he agreed to return at least once every five Ithorian years if he was able, to renew ties and share what he had learned.

He worked for a time at a number of jobs: Spacehand, bodyguard, others... anything that would let him keep on the move through the galaxy. He's seen a great deal. But at length Jonas realized that he needed more freedom of movement, to be able to respond to the longings within him. With the "reasonable" help of a not-entirely-savory money-lender, Pluvo Two-for-one, he managed to make a down payment on a small, elderly, transport ship. He named it the Starchaser's Song.

Since the Song doesn't have a large cargo space, Jonas has specialized in carrying small, valuable goods to places others are reluctant to visit; and in carrying sensitive messages and passengers. He's built up a reputation for reliability, honesty, and integrity, and so far he's managed to make all his payments to the bank and, more importantly, to Pluvo. (The bank doesn't send kneecappers around if you're late...) though at times it's been by the skin of his teeth.

Three years ago, Jonas' solitary, peaceful life suffered an interesting intrusion; he found a stowaway shortly after lifting off from Nar Shaddaa. The teenage boy fought like a wildcat when discovered, but Jonas quickly got the knife away from him and pinned him to the deck, noticing as he did so the lad's slight form and ragged clothes.

"What's your name?" No response except a snarl and a wholly-futile attempt to push Jonas away.

Jonas just waited patiently. Eventually the boy got tired of struggling and spat out, "What do you want!" "I want to know your name." "Fine! Raddo!" Jonas just smiled. "All right, 'Raddo'. If I let you up, are you going to try to fight me again?" Grudgingly, "It didn't do me much good the last time..." Jonas let him up, and the boy backed away warily. "What are you going to do now?"

"What do you think I should do?" Completely nonplussed by this answer, 'Raddo' took a while in answering. "Uh, set me down on Corellia. ... I've got family there, they'll pay you." Jonas nodded, scooped up the knife, and went to the cockpit. The lad followed at a distance, still wary. "What're you doing?" he asked suspiciously. "Adding Corellia to my flight plan." The computer verified this, and the boy just stared, eyes wide, breathing shallow. "I'll have to make a stop or two along the way to fulfill my contracts. I hope you don't mind." 'Raddo' finally allowed as how he could live with this.

Jonas busied himself about his usual life, giving the boy a cabin to stay in and making him at home, but otherwise not changing his routine. (Other than being a little more careful to keep the arms locker and cockpit secure.) 'Raddo' ate like a starved wolf and kept glancing at Jonas out of the corner of his eye, as if waiting for the other shoe to drop. When it didn't (indeed, Jonas left him strictly alone most of the time), he seemed to get more and more ill at ease.

Finally on the third day he crept up when Jonas was meditating crosslegged by one of the portholes. "Uh, sorry to disturb you." "That's all right." "You, uh... kinda glow when you do that." "I've been told that before." "Oh."

Then, big, "Don't you want to know why I'm on your ship?!" "Should I?" "You're WEIRD, man!" "I've been told that before too." 'Raddo' threw up his hands in frustration. Jonas just went back to his meditation.

Finally the silence got too much for the kid. He blurted out, "My name's not Raddo." "I know." More silence. "It's Vanni." "Pleased to meet you, Vanni. My name's Jonas, by the way." Yet more silence. "Aren't you going to SAY something?!" "What would you like me to say?"

Vanni buried his head in his hands. As if speaking to a small child, he explained, "You're supposed to demand explanations and threaten to slit my throat or throw me out an airlock. Lock me up, maybe hurt me if I give you any trouble. If you're feeling mean, you could even plan to sell me as a slave when we get to Corellia." His voice quivered ever so slightly on the word "sell".

"I don't like hurting people, Vanni. Sorry if you're disappointed." "No, I..." "What?" "I don't know."

Long silence, then Jonas finally looked at him with a smile. "So, what are you doing on my ship?" Vanni stared at him, and they both laughed. At length the lad said, "You already know, don't you?" "I can make a pretty good guess. You're an escaped slave, I take it." "...Yeah." Jonas held his eyes. "I despise slavery, and the Hutts are crueler with it than most. I have no intention of taking you back. Or selling you again." Vanni let out the breath he was holding. "Okay..." "Do you really have family on Corellia?"

The boy's shoulders slumped. "No. I don't have anyone." "Still want to go there?" "I guess." "What will you do when you get there?" "I'll think of something." "Tell you what. I'll let you work your passage on the way. I could use a hand around this old girl, and it'll give you a bit of a stake for when you leave." Shaking his head, bemused, Vanni said, "Sure, why not?" They shook on it.

Jonas showed Vanni the ropes, and the lad proved a very quick study. At one of their stops on the way to Corellia, Vanni came back to the ship much later than agreed and couldn't meet Jonas' eyes when he did. Jonas guessed that he'd nearly jumped ship, but didn't press him on it.

Finally, the fateful day arrived. Jonas counted out Vanni's pay and said, "Well, that's that." "Uh huh." "You've been a great help around here. I'll miss having you around." "Yeah." Awkward silence. Vanni finally said, "So I guess this is it, huh?" "Seems so." Jonas stuck out his hand, and Vanni shook it but didn't make a move to go. "Uh..." "Yes, Vanni?"

"I guess I was wondering if you could use a little more help? ... I could stand to make a little more money before I, you know, set up on my own." Jonas smiled. "Sure, Vanni, I'd like that."

Vanni is about nineteen now, or maybe twenty - he isn't sure. He's become a junior partner in the Starchaser's Song. He's proved a valuable asset - clever, resourceful, and cunning. Insatiably curious, he's learned a lot, and has even become a better astrogator and pilot than Jonas (he's quite the natural).

Vanni is fiercely loyal to Jonas, but has a chip on his shoulder the size of a small moon toward most of the rest of the universe; he pretty much expects the worst from others and is ready to dish it back out at a moment's notice. He and Jonas have clashed about this several times. (Vanni says Jonas is "way too trusting", but gets VERY defensive when Jonas points out that Vanni's lucky he is!) One thing they emphatically share, though, is a towering indignation against anybody who picks on those weaker than themselves.

Though Jonas is considerably older than Vanni (he's nearly 30) there really isn't much of a father/son vibe between them at all - if anything, they're more like brothers. Jonas treats Vanni as an equal, and Vanni for his part, though Jonas' opinion of his actions matters to him much more than he'd willingly let on, doesn't feel any sort of debt of obedience to Jonas. (Though in matters affecting the welfare of the ship, it is firmly understood between them that Jonas is the captain and his orders in an emergency are to be followed without backtalk.)

Vanni shows signs of being strong in the Force, and Jonas has tried to teach him to meditate and learn its ways. Vanni finds meditation to be unutterably boring but humors Jonas with it now and then.

The young man is also something of a heartbreaker, his soulful eyes and charming words winning him a girl in most ports. He also gambles a fair bit, winning rather more often than seems reasonable. Jonas disapproves of these pastimes, and Vanni knows it, but they don't talk about it much. In more domestic matters, especially his flashes of temper, Vanni is more willing to defer to Jonas and sheepishly apologize. In the moody funks he sometimes sinks into, Jonas is the only one who can reach him.

Recently a Jedi Master named Insharr hired the two to transport him and his Padawan, Davik Orzo, as they researched Sith relics in odd corners of the galaxy. Insharr was intrigued by Jonas' "pulsing" and they had several interesting conversations about the Force/Lifeblood. Enough of a connection was formed that when Insharr sent Davik to investigate an abandoned Jedi temple ruined in the Sith Wars on his own, he looked up the Starchaser's Song again...

And so tells the tale!

[A few short notes I didn't manage to work in. Jonas celebrates the anniversary of the day he found Vanni as a "birthday" of sorts, as Vanni doesn't know just when he was born. This embarrasses Vanni to no end, but also pleases him somewhere in there.]

[Vanni always gets bemused, maybe even weirded out, when Jonas gets his military-issue blaster rifle and other weapons out of storage. It just seems so incongruous for him, who is ordinarily so gentle, to be carrying around such lethal armament. When he sees Jonas shoot someone (it's happened a couple times) he isn't quite sure what to make of it.]

[I'm not sure just how much Jonas has told Vanni about his past - the basics, certainly, but perhaps not the more painful details. I don't think Jonas has yet visited Ithor with Vanni; that should be an eye-opening experience. And of course it's up to you, SP, how much Vanni has spilled about his own past to Jonas.]

[SP has since responded to this. Vanni has only recently begun opening up about his past, and rarely at that. In any case, he isn't the kind to dwell on the past; he's very much a creature of the present moment, with a half-eye cocked on the future. He does save a little money for the future, but isn't averse to blowing it on a big gamble or the like. He's used to living with nothing and making things stretch, so it doesn't trouble him much to lose money.]

[Anyway, he has let a few things slip in conversation. He was sold into slavery in response to some sort of legal trouble on Nar Shadaa when he was a child. (On the rare occasions they've visited Nar Shadaa, Vanni has refused to leave the ship. He's argued strenuously against visiting the place at all, in fact.) He hadn't always lived there; before that, he'd been raised by his grandmother. He wears a twisted piece of metal under his shirt that she gave him.]

Character Descriptions

[Here's the descriptions I wrote up for Jonas and Vanni - I haven't yet heard back from DR about Davik. As usual with me, I can't describe a character without learning all sorts of things about them as I go, so I veer a fair bit into character study as well.]

Jonas is tall and lean, a weathered, sunbeaten man. His already light hair is bleached nearly white by the rays of dozens, if not hundreds, of suns. (He prefers to spend time outdoors when he's on a planet.) Though not bulked up in muscle, he has a steady, tough look about him that discourages trouble.

But in truth, trouble rarely comes looking, for Jonas is a warm, friendly man to all he meets. The trouble he gets into is generally of his own choosing... A patient, sensitive listener, many a stranger has found him-, her-, or itself pouring out his, her, or its woes to him, and Jonas isn't the sort of man who can stand idly by while somebody else suffers, especially if they're suffering unfairly. Lying to him or trying to take advantage is very ill-advised, though; maybe it's because he's an honest man himself (a vanishing breed in the circles he frequents) but he can spot a scam a mile off. And when trouble does come to his doorstep, it finds out right quick that Jonas Starchaser can dish it back out and then some.

Though a peaceable sort, harsh experience has taught Jonas to drive a hard bargain and doggedly squeeze every credit. The lengths he'll go to for an honest credit actually embarrass him a little at times, but the simple fact is that he has to keep ahead of the bank and Pluvo if he wants to keep chasing the stars. (Not to mention keep his kneecaps intact!)

Jonas usually wears warm earth tones - browns and russets and the like. He proudly sports the beret-like uniform cap of his old mercenary company on many occasions, especially formal or otherwise significant ones. Around his neck he always wears a polished piece of intarzi-wood from Mother Jungle, blessed by his mentor, Shaper Ivek. In a pocket he keeps a holo of his family from his childhood; gazing at it often gives him new, if melancholy, resolve.

One lesson that Jonas has firmly learned from a rich and varied life as a settler, mercenary, gardener, and spacer is "Be prepared." He pays close attention to detail, and is always prepared for the worst if he can manage it. He carries holdout knives in his boots, and usually a blaster pistol as well. You know things are getting serious, though, if he breaks out his old rifle from his soldiering days!

-----------------------------------------

Vanni is a study in opposites to Jonas. He is fairly short (he grew up rather malnourished) and wiry. He's gained some weight since coming aboard the Song, but one still gets the impression that a good stiff wind might give him trouble. Vanni has curly jet-black hair and an olive complexion. His face is mobile and expressive, and his fingers slender and dextrous. (And on occasion rather too light for Jonas' taste...)

Vanni favors black and bright colors together - especially red, his favorite. A black vest over a shirt of fine fabric is typical. He teases Jonas about having no fashion sense. ("You look like a farmer!" "I am a farmer, Vanni." :)

The young man is always on the alert, full of suspicion of others' motives and actions. It takes much time and patience to win his trust, and unless your name is Jonas Starchaser, it's always provisional. He has a fairly acidic sense of humor at times, and complains to blow off steam. (Jonas knows this very well, and allows for it.)

Still, Vanni can be quite charming when he puts his mind to it. His big, black, puppy-dog eyes could melt the heart of a statue. Half the more impressionable women he meets want to sweep him off his feet, the other half want to take him home and mother him. Eliciting either reaction privately amuses him to no end.

Most of Vanni's life and interaction with the outside world is in fact an act. He has been hurt so often that he keeps his true self hidden deeply within; even Jonas has seen only flashes of it now and then. More, though, as time goes on, and Vanni's rare confidences are met by Jonas with friendly acceptance and not a trace of pity. (Though Vanni is willing to use the pity of others toward him if it suits him, privately he can't abide it.)

Vanni is beginning, very slowly, to acknowledge the emptiness of much of the life he's living - the constant act, the empty relationships, are starting to wear him down. Though he isn't ready to admit it to himself yet, Jonas' forthright honesty and centeredness are starting to look really good. He is painfully aware of how many changes would be necessary in his life to get to that place, though - it looks impossible.

But while Jonas and the Song are desperately-needed anchors in Vanni's life, things aren't all one-way, either. They're good for each other. Vanni offers Jonas a gusto for living that he needs to be reminded of at times. It would be all too easy for Jonas to sink into meditation and come out only when necessary; Vanni grounds him in reality. The young man also plunges easily into social situations toward which Jonas would, on his own, be more reticent about, too.

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
This is a great one; very well written, expertly dialogued, compelling from the get-go. And I'm always pulling for more SW Story Hours, anyway.

To your credit, Shadow, the character write-ups, though fascinating, were extra; I get a good idea of the mental make-up of all three main characters from the first installment, just listening and watching them.

I'll be following this one. It's already destined for greatness.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hey Shadow, good to see you writing again! A question, and an observation, though...

Q: Does Davik really have two lightsabers? If so, why is he so excited about finding lightsaber parts? /How many hands does this guy have?/ ;)

Obs: As with the Shadow story hour, you again have a PC with a very strong quasi-father-son relationship (that is, a shared, deep emotional attachment, with the PC having a definite air of authority in that relationship) to an NPC.

dpdx said:
This is a great one; very well written, expertly dialogued, compelling from the get-go. And I'm always pulling for more SW Story Hours, anyway.

To your credit, Shadow, the character write-ups, though fascinating, were extra; I get a good idea of the mental make-up of all three main characters from the first installment, just listening and watching them.

I'll be following this one. It's already destined for greatness.

WOW! Thanks for the kind words!! That's the sort of feedback writers love to get. :)

Tony Vargas said:
Q: Does Davik really have two lightsabers? If so, why is he so excited about finding lightsaber parts? /How many hands does this guy have?/ ;)

He's excited because Jedi are expected to build their own lightsabers before they're made Knights, and the parts aren't easy to come by. His existing ones are hand-me-downs from Insharr, and don't count.

Obs: As with the Shadow story hour, you again have a PC with a very strong quasi-father-son relationship (that is, a shared, deep emotional attachment, with the PC having a definite air of authority in that relationship) to an NPC.

That's in a sense no accident. Vanni was in fact a partial inspiration for Carlos. :)

Yes, Jonas and Vanni have been knocking around in my head for quite some time. They were originally intended to be played in an intriguing fantasy campaign of SP's called Mistlands (which fell through). But when Star Wars was proposed, I all of a sudden realized that it's quite easy to translate fantasy characters into that universe. (They did mutate somewhat along the way, of course, but they're still recognizable.) I do like to reuse characters whenever possible; why waste perfectly good creativity?

But I don't see them as a knock-off of Alex/Carlos, either. There's a very different vibe going on here. Carlos and Vanni may come from similar starting points, but they've done extremely different things with them. Where Carlos has taken a mostly constructive path and put the past behind him, Vanni is still mired in it, full of anger and vindictiveness. (If he doesn't end up at least flirting with the Dark Side before the campaign is done, I'll be shocked.) Unlike Carlos, he isn't looking for a father-figure, nor is Jonas exactly providing one. Though with Jonas being the captain of the ship, that does muddy the waters somewhat.

(For those who don't know, "Alex" is the secret identity of the Shadow in my other Story Hour, and Carlos is his sidekick in a sense.)

Tony Vargas

Legend
The Shadow said:
His existing ones are hand-me-downs from Insharr, and don't count.
Ah, I see. I think.

And Jonas, OTOH, isn't a jedi at all, but, in effect a human 'alien student of the force' (template in the d6 version of the game).

But I don't see them as a knock-off of Alex/Carlos, either. There's a very different vibe going on here. Unlike Carlos, he isn't looking for a father-figure, nor is Jonas exactly providing one. Though with Jonas being the captain of the ship, that does muddy the waters somewhat.
Nod. I was just noticing that there was another strong male relationship involved. Not as complex or intense as the 'paternal-love triangle' that Alex was in, but I suspect it'll still be interesting to explore...

Tony Vargas said:
Ah, I see. I think.

And Jonas, OTOH, isn't a jedi at all, but, in effect a human 'alien student of the force' (template in the d6 version of the game).

Right. In d20 terms, he's got a couple levels of "Force Adept". Vanni has a bit of it too. (All three are 5th level, by the by.)

Nod. I was just noticing that there was another strong male relationship involved. Not as complex or intense as the 'paternal-love triangle' that Alex was in, but I suspect it'll still be interesting to explore...

To be perfectly honest, I wanted to get a bit away from that degree of intensity. That's also why Jonas is a much lighter, less brooding character than Alex. I don't want to have to withdraw from this campaign the way I did from the last one.

But yes, I do hope very much it will be interesting. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I got a laugh out of the "paternal-love triangle" phrase. Very apt!

Last edited:

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Just like to jump in here and say its ALWAYS good to see another Star Wars Story Hour around here, and yours is definitely great. It was getting lonely. :)

Why thanks! I took a brief look at yours but haven't had time to really peruse it yet. Looks fantastic, though!

Seems like we fill two different niches - your guys seem to be a military unit of some sort, while this group is more what Traveller would call "Free Traders".

Remove ads