Star Wars Episode 3 to be darker than any other episode

Acid_crash

First Post
I like all five movies, each for what they provide to the overall story. The only thing I'm confused on, and probably always will, is this whole "chosen thing" that Lucas put into the story. Why is he the chosen one? I just don't get it. And the midichlorians (misspelled?)...what the hell are those and what do they have to do with it all?

Wombat

First Post
Lucas almost lost me with Return of the Jedi.

He lost me entirely with Phantom Menace.

Star Wars just ain't Star Wars anymore to me and there is nothing he can do to redeem it, especially after recutting the core films.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Wombat said:
Lucas almost lost me with Return of the Jedi.

He lost me entirely with Phantom Menace.

Star Wars just ain't Star Wars anymore to me and there is nothing he can do to redeem it, especially after recutting the core films.
So does that mean you're only going to see Revenge of the Sith three times in theaters rather than six? ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Acid_crash said:
I like all five movies, each for what they provide to the overall story. The only thing I'm confused on, and probably always will, is this whole "chosen thing" that Lucas put into the story. Why is he the chosen one? I just don't get it. And the midichlorians (misspelled?)...what the hell are those and what do they have to do with it all?
Don't know what midichlorians are but they are attracted to the source of the Force like moths are drawn to fire or light. To the Jedi, there is no way to read the strength of the Force except through a strenuous display of power -- which young Anakin is not yet there -- or this interesting characteristic that is probably observed by studious Jedi before them.

If you ask me, Jedi don't have a full understanding of the force as much as a neurosurgeon knows the brain down to the quarks.

Welverin

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Yes, he was annoying, and yes he was supposed to be annoying, but that was just stupid. He's FREAKIN' DARTH VADER, people! Seeing him as a petulant spoiled brat doesn't foreshadow the darker character he is to become, it reduces and trivializes it. Interpreting him that way was a BAD decision.

See, I think it's all of the character flaws present in Ep2 that lead to his fall to the dark side, they also make him the annoying petulant child. Take those things away and what is it about him that leads to his fall, keeping in mind the intent was for him to start out as a fundamentally good person?

punkorange said:
I agree with you guys the new ones are nowhere near as good, or even feel like the same setting, as the old ones but part of that is that the old ones are classic. Another part of that is in the originol three movies, it was a dirty future. Everything was old, rusty, dirty, falling apart, etc; whereas the new one everything is nice and shiny CGI. Nothing against CGI. I just felt the newest movies have been too "nice, clean, and new" for the star wars universe.

It's set during an earlier time it makes sense it's less grimy, plus they take place on more central planets, unlike the originals which took place primarily on back water planets and focused on a bunch of rebels who could hardly afford things that were nice, clean, and new.

Ranger REG

Explorer
You can take this with a grain of salt, but a friend of mine educated me on the behavior of Anakin Skywalker in the second Prequel film, saying that's now normal child prodigy act.

I know you want him to be dramatically different, but being a petulant brat is a normal display. If left without proper restraint and guidance, he could be susceptible of heading toward a darker path ... which he will. (Yeah, like you need a spoiler for this!)

Of course, there are other things that makes me dread seeing the Prequel, and yes, most of my grievances are with Jar Jar.

Welverin

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Of course, there are other things that makes me dread seeing the Prequel, and yes, most of my grievances are with Jar Jar.

Hopefully we'll see less of him than we did in Ep2, which wasn't much.

mojo1701

First Post
Welverin said:
Hopefully we'll see less of him than we did in Ep2, which wasn't much.

Perhaps Lucas will make it up to the fans and give us a death scene for Jar Jar, in which we get to enjoy his squirming from the Imperials trying to wipe out non-humans.

Wombat

First Post
" So does that mean you're only going to see Revenge of the Sith three times in theaters rather than six?

Never even sat through all of "Episode II" :heh:

EricNoah

Adventurer
One thing I do like from the prequels is how the Jedi Council is not infalable. They are, to some extent, somewhat responsible for making Vader happen, and I think that's cool. I do wish there was a little bit more dialogue on that point.

Prequel Yoda is a bit of a haughty bastard; it's quite interesting to compare him to the humble teacher we meet in ESB. He's gonna get taken down a peg in RotS. :)

On the other hand, there is SO MUCH stuff to be covered in the prequels, and a lot of it gets short shrift. I would have preferred to learn more about the characters or the universe or the history of the setting instead of seeing the pod race in TPM. I would have preferred more dialogue between Anakin/Obi-Wan and Anakin/Padme to help develop his character, rather than see the big gladiator duel scene. Of course action sequences are fun to see, and in a sci-fi movie like this it's all about eye candy. But I do think you can have it both ways if the movie is done right.

Last edited:

Remove ads