Star Wars Episode 3 to be darker than any other episode

Raloc

First Post
Yeah, I realize he was meant to be annoying in Ep 2, however, I don't agree with it. I think it was severely overdone. Most likely done so that the audience wouldn't sympathize with Anakin as he goes Dark Side (it's not the East or the West side! No it's not! It's not the North or the South side! No it's not! It's the Dark Sideee!) I'm just hoping that it's either taken out entirely, or toned down in Ep 3, as that would screw with it for me.

mojo1701

First Post
fett527 said:
I am highly anticipating this film as I did EP 1 and 2. I liked both movies, Episode 1 mostly for Maul and the lightsaber duel, and in EP 2 I really liked pulling out all the similarities between it and Empire (not as a film but imagery). I also LOVE to watch them with my nephews who will, given the chance, watch EP 1, 2 and 4 with equal zeal. Empire is too scary throughout and Jedi has the Rancor, which they aren't thrilled about. They'll watch the end though.

I just disagree that the EP 1 and 2 has "ruined" Star Wars when in actuality the movies have done the same for young children of this era what the original movies did for me. Mold them into rabid Star Wars fanatics.

Bingo. The first time I saw Star Wars was Episode I, and I was not disappointed. Besides being approximately 12-13 at the time, my family wasn't big on Star Wars (I had a Return of the Jedi lunchbox, somehow...). My dad liked them, and he watches them with me if I put them on, but they're just movies to him. And my brother was only 9-10 at the time of Episode I's premiere.

Although I do agree that young Anakin SHOULD've been better, let's not forget that the purpose was to contrast the innocent child from the evil adult. And Jar Jar? Ok, so he's not the best character, but he didn't ruin it. I think Lucas just overplayed his idiocy.

Raloc

First Post
I think I was 16 at the time. Jar Jar annoyed the crap out of me. So did young Anakin. I don't like child actors (mostly). I think he was rather exaggerated, which bothered me quite a bit. Keep in mind, I'm far from a perfectionist. I enjoyed the Chonicles of Riddick, and several other movies that other people deem irredeemable.

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Though its funny that if you talk to kids, they LOVE Jar Jar. Very much in the same way many of us got attached to Chewie with the OT.
Which kids? Certainly not mine (and my oldest was only 3 when TPM came out; he's nine now and has little interest in Star Wars. I've never heard that any kid, even Star Wars fanatics (of which, sadly, this later generation is relatively impoverished... the new movies aren't even good enough to really engender the type of kid love that the older movies did) that really loved Jar Jar. I'd like to know why you think kids love Jar Jar so much.
AMG said:
If you were severely annoyed by Anakin...well, good. At least, in Ep II that's definitely good, as he is just a whiny teenager who isn't getting his way and doesn't like it. Of course he's going to be annoying.
Yes, he was annoying, and yes he was supposed to be annoying, but that was just stupid. He's FREAKIN' DARTH VADER, people! Seeing him as a petulant spoiled brat doesn't foreshadow the darker character he is to become, it reduces and trivializes it. Interpreting him that way was a BAD decision.

And no, I'm not a Star Wars new trilogy "hatah" I actually enjoy them well enough and am very excited for May to arrive. But let's face it, the new movies did have some serious flaws, even compared to the OT, which also had some obvious flaws if you can see past the nostalgia and watch them critically. If anything, it's the fact that I love Star Wars so much that makes the newer movies so disappointing. There's still so much potential there, even in the movies that did get made, and the plots that they do have. The biggest problem, IMO, is that Lucas needs to realize that he's a great conceptualist, but a lousy writer and a lousy director. He should have worked up a 5-10 page script summary of each movie and then hired Larry Kasdan again to write the actual screenplay, and we might have had some much better dialogue. And get someone talented again as director and editor, and you can have some much better performances, much better pacing, and overall a much tighter flick. And finally, a handful of the casting decisions were, at best, questionable.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Poor acting (or to clarify, poor direction of the actors) and lifeless scripts are my main problems with Eps I & II. The love between Anakin and Padme never seemed real to me; we should have been treated to a verbal (as well as martial) duel between Darth Maul and Qui Gon. I also think they glossed over some important points -- why didn't they help Anakin's mother escape slavery? Why are Jedi forbidden to love? What about the midichlorians?

I'm not one of these "Lucas destroyed my childhood" people, but I do think that the prequels do not stand up to the originals in terms of plot/script and emotion. And that's what kind of worries me about Ep 3 -- I need that emotional payoff. I am encouraged by the trailer; Ewan McG's "You were the chosen one!" leads me to believe that there will be some juicy dialogue during the pivotal scenes, which to me is as vital as backflips, light sabers and lava.

Raloc

First Post
Yes, he was annoying, and yes he was supposed to be annoying, but that was just stupid. He's FREAKIN' DARTH VADER, people! Seeing him as a petulant spoiled brat doesn't foreshadow the darker character he is to become, it reduces and trivializes it. Interpreting him that way was a BAD decision.

My feelings exactly. It was horribly *wrong* to see Anakin that way.

myrdden

First Post
I find it simply amazing how fast a thread on Star Wars, no matter what the topic, can be derailed into critiquing the PT versus the OT within 10-15 posts. It truly must be a new physical law of the universe.

:)

punkorange

First Post
I didn't like the child anakin, It was just wrong. I think they should have used make up to make ep2 anakin look younger. It would have worked. I don't think he done horribly bad in episode 2, but could have been done better. I especially liked the scene after he slew the sand people and he spoke of how he would become the strongest jedi ever. Good, true feeling (for me anyway) anakin moment.

I agree with you guys the new ones are nowhere near as good, or even feel like the same setting, as the old ones but part of that is that the old ones are classic. Another part of that is in the originol three movies, it was a dirty future. Everything was old, rusty, dirty, falling apart, etc; whereas the new one everything is nice and shiny CGI. Nothing against CGI. I just felt the newest movies have been too "nice, clean, and new" for the star wars universe.

Remove ads