D&D 5E Star Wars Jedi - D&D 5e Character Build

Cernor

Explorer
I think this is a really cool idea but the standard array in 5e is 15/14/13/12/10/8... Did you use the point-buy method to get that starting array?
Also, you say the lightsabers deal force & fire damage... Is that meant to mean they deal (for example, the Jedi Knight lightsaber) 2d8 force damage AND 2d8 fire damage, or that the damage is 2d8 of either force OR fire (for the purpose of determining vulnerability, resistance, and immunity)?

Last edited:

Michael Long

First Post
You're right. I did start with a standard array, and then decided to pull 2 points from the 14 and add it to the 8. Forgot to mention that in the page, but made an update. Thanks for the catch.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I like your class design. Starting from your ideas, I'm working up Jedi Path builds for Jedi Guardian and Jedi Sentinel. My notions so far:

Jedi Knight Guardian Path: for Fighting Style, take either the (modified) Defense ("When you are wearing no armor, you gain a +1 bonus to armor class") or the (modified) Protection Fighting Style, requiring that you spend a ki point instead of using a shield. Choose either the Champion or the Battlemaster Martial Archetype.

Jedi Knight Sentinal Path: take either the Dueling, Great Weapon Fighting, or Two-Weapon Fighting Fighting Style. Choose either Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight Martial Archetypes.

I'll post the builds once I've completed them.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Also, you say the lightsabers deal force & fire damage... Is that meant to mean they deal (for example, the Jedi Knight lightsaber) 2d8 force damage AND 2d8 fire damage, or that the damage is 2d8 of either force OR fire (for the purpose of determining vulnerability, resistance, and immunity)?

From what Chapter 9: Combat states about resistance and vulnerability, multiple applicable resistances or vulnerabilities do not stack and are applied as a single instance. As a DM, I would house-rule that if the creature or object has vulnerability to one damage type and resistance to the other, then it would be a wash and the amount of damage as rolled stands. The fluff description of what the attack's effects look like might be a bit of an exercise.

When the target has vulnerability to just one of the damage types, which is part of your question, I'd go ahead and add the appropriate extra damage.

Resistance and immunity appear to be more problematic. After thinking about this, the simplest house-rule (and I'd want to keep it simple) would be to lower the damage by 1/4 for resistance, and 1/2 for immunity, as the unresisted/non-immune damage type should still have its say.

Does this work for you?

Tormyr

Adventurer
I think this is a really cool idea but the standard array in 5e is 15/14/13/12/10/8... Did you use the point-buy method to get that starting array?

From what Chapter 9: Combat states about resistance and vulnerability, multiple applicable resistances or vulnerabilities do not stack and are applied as a single instance. As a DM, I would house-rule that if the creature or object has vulnerability to one damage type and resistance to the other, then it would be a wash and the amount of damage as rolled stands. The fluff description of what the attack's effects look like might be a bit of an exercise.

When the target has vulnerability to just one of the damage types, which is part of your question, I'd go ahead and add the appropriate extra damage.

Resistance and immunity appear to be more problematic. After thinking about this, the simplest house-rule (and I'd want to keep it simple) would be to lower the damage by 1/4 for resistance, and 1/2 for immunity, as the unresisted/non-immune damage type should still have its say.

Does this work for you?
Looking at it, it looks like the dice together do both force and fire damage from the same dice (not 2d8 for each). Personally, I think that force damage (pure magical energy focused in a damaging form) better describes the lightsaber than fire damage. I would suggest pulling fire damage.

If you don't want to do that, then split the damage dice in half and give half to each type of damage. This is what is done with monster attacks in 5e. So the padawan lightsaber would do 1d4 force and 1d4 fire damage (avg. 5 vs. 3 avg of 1d6). The jedi knight lightsaber (you have a typo their in your document) would do 2d4 force and 2d4 fire (same avg. 10 vs 2d8). The master lightsaber does 3d4 force and 3d4 fire (avg. 15 vs 16 for 3d10). You could use other dice, but the 2d4 increase for each damage type provides a progression that is pretty close to what is already there. Or, if you only have force damage, you can keep the 1d6, 2d8, 3d10 progression.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Tormyr, I like your solution in the last paragraph best. Splitting the damage dice is simpler by far. Wish I'd thought of that.

Grazie!

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Some more thoughts, as I work on other builds for this:

1) I imagine we would not want to call them Jedi in a D&D game, although its up to the DM as usual. For the nonce, I'm going to title them in honor of the registered user who started this thread: the Miklongi.

2) For a bit, I was also thinking of renaming the Force, but since force is one of the lightsaber's damage types, I realized that was pretty dumb.

3) Mr. Long did not include one legendary aspect of lightsabers, and I assume it was partly for this reason: putting a weapon equivalent to a vorpal sword in its ability to lop off body parts into the hands of a 1st level apprentice is kind of overpowered. Assuming vorpal swords do become available in future 5e supplements, it seems to me that until then it should not be added to the weapon's description. If vorpal weapons do join 5e, perhaps only the final lightsaber feat (master-level) would be capable of that feature.

4) The dark side. Are they out there? Does it seem reasonable to think they would be? I would think so. But I don't want to go there. It scares me.

5) Eldritch Knight, if a Jedi were to choose that Martial Archetype. The description in the PHB assigns the type of spells to the wizard class. Basing the linked spell-type on the sorcerer or warlock classes seems closer to the essence of the Jedi. I would just make that the player's choice. If someone does decide to make a dark-sider, aside from lightsaber damage, I think any damaging Eldritch Knight spells would deliver its damage by combining the force and shadow types (see Tormyr's reply re splitting damage dice above).

Well, that's it for now. Ciao!

Tormyr

Adventurer
Some more thoughts, as I work on other builds for this:

1) I imagine we would not want to call them Jedi in a D&D game, although its up to the DM as usual. For the nonce, I'm going to title them in honor of the registered user who started this thread: the Miklongi.

2) For a bit, I was also thinking of renaming the Force, but since force is one of the lightsaber's damage types, I realized that was pretty dumb.

3) Mr. Long did not include one legendary aspect of lightsabers, and I assume it was partly for this reason: putting a weapon equivalent to a vorpal sword in its ability to lop off body parts into the hands of a 1st level apprentice is kind of overpowered. Assuming vorpal swords do become available in future 5e supplements, it seems to me that until then it should not be added to the weapon's description. If vorpal weapons do join 5e, perhaps only the final lightsaber feat (master-level) would be capable of that feature.

4) The dark side. Are they out there? Does it seem reasonable to think they would be? I would think so. But I don't want to go there. It scares me.

5) Eldritch Knight, if a Jedi were to choose that Martial Archetype. The description in the PHB assigns the type of spells to the wizard class. Basing the linked spell-type on the sorcerer or warlock classes seems closer to the essence of the Jedi. I would just make that the player's choice. If someone does decide to make a dark-sider, aside from lightsaber damage, I think any damaging Eldritch Knight spells would deliver its damage by combining the force and shadow types (see Tormyr's reply re splitting damage dice above).

Well, that's it for now. Ciao!
Here are some of my thoughts on this.

1. I imagined this being a drop in replacement for Star Wars D20. Have spells be The Force. Martial weapons and heavy armor has a cortosis weave. The simple reskinning would potentially work in an era with a lot of force users, or a way to make the PCs special. Replace crossbows with blasters, etc.

2. If spells are the force, you can just reskin magic as the force. Just drop all material components that don't have a cost (the materials with a cost become components to focus on or transmute with the force.

3. In the old Star Wars card game from decipher, there was a card that let non jedi use a lightsaber, but it was dangerous to them. They had the ability to injure themselves. You could add a critical fumble for those not proficient in lightsabers. Since dropping someone to 0hp is the "killing blow," you could add a decapitation at 0 hp, but that might make the game less family friendly.

4. I imagine the Necromancy or the Death domain in the DMG would blend well with the dark side, or any of the evil alignments would provide a jedi with dark side leanings.

5. The eldritch knight is a great concept for an all around jedi. But lots of others would work as well. I think that most force abilities outside of spellcasting would work through feats (proficiency in an additional skills or tools through the force). A force sensitive rogue could learn how to use the force to aid intuition in use of thieves tools to gain expertise on its proficiency, etc.)

While this reskin with minimal conversion would be easier, it would tweak some of the flavor of the Star Wars universe. There is arguably more use of the force. Deities are dropped. Monks, Druids, Paladins, Eldritch Knights, Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Arcane Tricksters and Rangers are all force sensitive/force trained/Jedi/Sith to some extent or another. Warlocks gain their force sensitivity from a gift from a dark benefactor? If everyone is willing to not be sticklers for "how things should be" in the star wars universe, it could be a relatively simple conversion.

My 7 year old daughter would love this. After starting her on First Fable, she liked it, but after haveing watched the entire Clone Wars cartoon, she told me in no uncertain terms that she wanted to be a Jedi. I could see picking up a Star Wars RPG adventure and having a relatively straightforward conversion to 5e without having to buy the Star Wars RPG source books.

Remove ads