Star Wars makes a BILLION dollars at the domestic Box Office

Kai Lord

Hero
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
And that would just cause even MORE problems than people with cellphones...
Well if the local theater pubs are any indication, serving alcohol does solve a lot of issues, due primarily to the 21 year age minimum. I chuckled approvingly when a couple in front of me in line were turned away with their infant son. It also completely takes toddlers and teeny boppers out of the equation.

Only once (during The Mummy) in five years have I gone and seen any disruption that appeared encouraged by the alcohol.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Crothian said:
It seems neat, but I never liked the adjustment theory that it would be so big. Too many factors between now and then. It's an interesting in theory sort of thing.
But we could not have NOW without THEN, Star Wars was a risk, its making changed the future of movie making, from special effects to sound and expectations, how many movies are an outcome from its making.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kai Lord said:
Just imagine the impact the LOTR would have had, if somehow you could take the films as-is, travel back through time, and then release them in theaters in the 30's, 50's, or 70's.
Never tamper with the timeline.

But if we're talking hypothetically, perhaps younger George Lucas may think twice about wanting to start up his own special effect production company. He'll probably go searching for such a company that makes that film's CG effects in a time when the best computer still takes one whole floor of a building.

It would have been ahead of its time, and perhaps a younger Christopher Tolkien may be more lenient toward the adaptation.

And what will become of the sci-fi fans? :D

John Crichton

First Post
It's really mind blowing to look back and inflate the number to our contemporary standards. I believe "Gone With the Wind" would probably own the crown with the inflation. Something like 4 out of every 5 people went to see that movie in the theater. I'm probably a bit off but the numbers are staggering.

QUICK EDIT: And had I actually clicked the link before posting I never would have made my post... :D

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Also Star Wars was re-released 4 times in the U.S. between '78 and '82. They just don't re-release movies anymore, they put them on HBO (not to mention video rentals and DVD sales). I bet I saw Star Wars ten times in the theater (not counting the Special Edition) now I'll watch a movie once (or just skip it all together) and rent it on video 6 months later, if it's good I'll get the DVD but it's rare I'll ever go see the same movie more than twice in the theater. I think another thing missing now is the building of a movie, then they would come out and build now they hit hard and die off quick. Very few movies ever make more than they will the first weekend they are out anymore, they got maybe 5 or 6 weeks to make all they can then they are gone for good from the theater.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Bass Puppet said:
Maybe if they made the movie experience more enjoybable, more people would go to the movies. *coughalcoholcough*

The introduction of alcohol would pretty much end my theater going days. So now I would have loud, obnoxious drunk asses ruining the movie for those who actually came to the theater to watch? No thanks, theater going is already enough of a pain as it is.

Kai Lord - and I can remember only once when it was a toddler or 'teeny-bopper' who caused the disturbance. Mostly males aged 19-25 who are there to talk with their friends.

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kai Lord said:
Yes, and that was noted in the original post. Makes Titanic's VHS/DVD/pay-per-view era theatrical earnings that much more impressive.
To be honest Titanic was the last movie I saw twice at the movie theater. :)

As for star wars and adjusted money... I like it cause say in a few years theirs going to be movie made that are horrible but will simply out gross Star Wars do to the inflation of money. Now I also agree that they need to include home sales / theater sales / pay-per-view / etc in their numbers.

Last edited:

Kai Lord

Hero
Holy Bovine said:
The introduction of alcohol would pretty much end my theater going days. So now I would have loud, obnoxious drunk asses ruining the movie for those who actually came to the theater to watch?
So you've never gone to an alcohol serving restaurant without loud, obnoxious drunk asses spoiling your dinner? As I said, and I'm the one here who has actually experienced going to theaters with alcohol, the only time that happened was during The Mummy, and at a midnight showing. And it was relatively minor and actually pretty funny.

Who goes out and gets beligirently drunk for a six o'clock movie? Your apprehensions are silly.

Holy Bovine said:
Kai Lord - and I can remember only once when it was a toddler or 'teeny-bopper' who caused the disturbance. Mostly males aged 19-25 who are there to talk with their friends.
And alcohol would eliminate half of that 19-25 equation, unless you live in Canada. And in all your years of going to the theater, only one time has a small child or teenager been disruptive? Riiiiiight.

Pants

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Who goes out and gets beligirently drunk for a six o'clock movie? Your apprehensions are silly.
And if they're an alcoholic, would they have enough money after buying alcohol to buy the atrociously pricey movie tickets?

Remove ads