• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Star Wars] Question on Read/Write Languages

Fenros

First Post
okay, I'm confused.

in the Star Wars rulebook it says under the skill description, "Instead of buying a rank in Read/Write Language, you choose a new language that you can read and write."

What the?

So everytime you want to be able to Read/Write one of your listed Languages you just choose it? That's gotta be worded wrong. You gotta pay something for literacy right? Unfortunately I haven't found anything that says what you pay. We kinda assumed it was jusy equal to one rank. But the players and I aren't sure.

Anyone figure this out?

btw, I went to the WotC site and found no errata for the core rulebook.

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
It should be worded, "When you spend skill points on Read/Write Language, instead of buying a rank in Read/Write Language, you choose a new language that you can read and write."

It is just like spending skill points to gain a new Speak Language... For each language, Read/Write Language costs 1 skill point if it's a class skill, and 2 skill points if it's a cross-class skill.

Fenros

First Post
okay, that's what I figured. Just wasn't sure.

So basically, to speak Huttese, (and Speak Lang. is a Class Skill) I pay 1 skill point in "Speak Language: Huttese". Then, in order to "Read/Write Huttese", I pay another skill point in Read/Write Language: Huttese.

Thanks Jack for the clarification. :)

Remove ads